LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Alex Smith Total QBR for week 6: 10.3

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
3 road comeback wins makes you think that? that's weird, it makes me think the opposite.

We still haven't played a good team IMO... If he does it to the packers, or ravens or something......

If you look at the standings right now, there are only two or three "good" teams. Packers and Ravens are good. No one else out there impresses me very much.

This is NFL football today. The league is carefully crafted to NOT have elite teams that dominate a bunch of also-rans. The league DEPENDS on having a LOT of teams that are rather evenly matched.

In the overall scheme of things, the 49ers are now one of the top 5 teams in the league. By your standard, if things continue, the 49ers won't play any "good" teams until the NFL Championship game.

You need to reconsider your opinion.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
You guys don't take into account a dropped t.d. pass, 2 drops by Crabtree, a pass to Ginn in which he was tripped up, Gore dropping two passes.

Alex didn't play very well, but the guys around him didn't help either.

This.

Alex looked at his worst of the season, but his receivers didnt do him any favors. There were multiple drops in the first half that should have been catches and sustained drives. Then the old "trying to do too much" Alex appeared and he was overthrowing everything.

How great is it to say though that we just beat a 5-0 team with our "game managing" QB's worst performance of the season and 14 penalties... on a 10am road game with 2 of our top 3 WR's injured? Frikkin Epic! The best part is that this team is still getting better and there are still allot of areas on this team that can be upgraded through rookie development, drafts and future FA signings.

Indeed. It was also nice that when it came time..despite all that had gone wrong and the pressure was on....completely do or die...Alex was clutch. He made the winning throw.

Yeah the defense was amazing and the offensive line played very well despite a few mistakes. But Alex and the offense did what he needed to win. We were not seeing that before.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by schmons:
just good enough to come in second to last beating out rex grossman 9.4

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/28952/highs-and-lows-for-week-6-total-qbr

what a joke.

cam newton comes in at 80.6 with a losing effort

I don't know how that QBR thing is calculated, but Alex Smith did NOT have a good day outside of the clutch pass to Delanie Walker for the lead. He was overthrowing Crabtree - as usual - and others, and that INT he threw was downright atrocious. However, he did enough to win the game and that's really all I ask for. I'm just not surprised that his game wasn't rated highly.

Did you also consider the three drops, all of which could have made things a lot easier for the team...and his rating?
Drew Brees had another 350 yard game. And three (3) interceptions. They lost.
The thing about ratings and stats is that it is indicative of how a player or team plays over the course of a season. When evaluating teams at the end of the year, total yard stats and turnover stats can help to explain a teams' playing trends that contributed to their records. With players, stats show what they typically do to help a team, but these stats also sometimes leave out the timeliness of their play, hence stats that are broken down to how players react during blitzes, quarters, or even when their teams are behind. I think Willis is a great example. His stats are "down", but I think his ability to take care of his responsibilities is the reason Bowman is freed up to make the tackles that Willis usually made in previous seasons. It's almost as if Willis took Spikes' job and Bowman took Willis'.
Who would you rather have Romo Grossman or Smith?

I think the answer is pretty clear kids - Alex didn't have a great game - bit keep in mind no QB in the last 10 games have had a good game against the Lions front 7 - and we were down 2 receivers!
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
Alex did have a bad game. But the play calling in the second half was terrible. We were running all over them but for some reason at one point late in the 3rd or early in the 4th we passed like 10 out of 12 times. Don't know what that was about. Almost cost us the game.

Did Alex play well? No. But I wouldn't say his game play was bad. Smith nearly had 3 TDs throws yesterday if not for the Walker drop and the Crabs play. He came up big when he had to. Alex Smith has always been clutch in the red zone and when the game matters. Look at the New Orleans game that Clements lost at the end. The drive before was all smith.
  • dj43
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Archie - I agree

taney - I disagree. Ill give you this, the only stat that matters in football are wins, period, Alex has that so far. However, aside from that last drive, one in which runs setup that 1st and Goal, we are winning in spite of Smith. Harbaugh knows as much and and is being smart about what he does and does not let Smith do. But if you want Ratings, here are a couple.

Alex Smith
Yards = 25th
AVG = tied for 20th
1st down passes = 27th
1st down % = 29th
Longest Pass play = 44 yards, 31st
20+ = tied for 13th
40+ = 29th

The short passing game has inflated his QBR. Dont say its because of the WCO either because Aaron Rodgers is lighting up the scoreboard in the WCO. Alex is not accurate with down the field throws. Short to Intermediate passes are where he lives. We will go as far as the D, special team and running game takes us. Alex Smith just needs to make a couple accurate short throws to win games, like he did yesterday. He is just not a great QB, its easy to see on Sunday's.

As more time passes, and Aldon Smith become better and better, my faith that Kaepernick will turn out to be something special grows. Its becoming more evident that Jim and his staff know talent when they see it I would love nothing more than to have Alex manage games this entire year and us go deep into the playoffs. Without the OTA's and offseason Colin is way behind the curve due to how raw he was coming out of college. Hopefully we see much more of our young stud QB in 2012 and beyond.

Any post that mentions Aaron Rodgers and does not also credit the fact he has THE BEST set of receivers in the NFL is not fully accurate. Right now Rodgers is throwing to the best in the league and Alex Smith has Vernon Davis and the next best guy is Crabtree who hasn't even practiced with the team prior to the start of the season. Rodgers has a full quiver of sharpened arrows. Smith is throwing round rocks at a dead stump.
Originally posted by valrod33:
If it wasnt for pass game against the eagles, we lose that game too

True, but if you rewatch the drive, a lot of our success came from Gore and spectacular plays by our WRs. I'm not saying Smith didn't play lights out, but it was very much a team effort of which the run game was at least 50 percent.
Originally posted by dj43:
Any post that mentions Aaron Rodgers and does not also credit the fact he has THE BEST set of receivers in the NFL is not fully accurate. Right now Rodgers is throwing to the best in the league and Alex Smith has Vernon Davis and the next best guy is Crabtree who hasn't even practiced with the team prior to the start of the season. Rodgers has a full quiver of sharpened arrows. Smith is throwing round rocks at a dead stump.

Agree. Smith was throwing to Gore and some other players (Walker) who were dropping balls yesterday. I'm not necessarily saying that was because Smith didn't have good receivers (Ginn) but for the fact that there were a few big time drops that the Smith haters aren't mentioning.

Did Smith throw high during throws? Yes. Were they all to Crabs? Yes. Can we take anything from that? Not sure. I see the high throws all to one receiver who has a history of not doing enough to get ready for the season as a sign. The haters will only blame Alex Smith.

Finally, Smith almost at a 3 TD passing game yesterday. For a QB who I'll admit didn't have a great game that is pretty impressive stuff.

Should Alex Smith get maybe 1 point for run blocking?
Originally posted by cypherninja:
Should Alex Smith get maybe 1 point for run blocking?

Smith is the best blocking QB in the league. He is always helping out on reverses etc. There is some good videos of him blocking on the internet.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Like Lieut said, statistically, Alex didn't have a good game. But he made the play that won the game.

THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS.

Not true, if our running game had been effectively shutdown, and the teams were trying to make smith win the game, this game showed he might not be able to put the team on his back.

RIght on Unst, these guys can't have it both ways. "Statistics dont matter," this week, but every other week it's, "look at his QB rating." To be fair, our WR core has been gutted. But, if it wasn't for our run game, we lose yesterday. I think Smiths biggest test will be against Bmore, because I doubt we can run the ball. Smith has been good up until yesterday, but he will have to be much better than that if we are going to make noise in the playoffs.

Wasn't going to comment on this but can't resist!

If the running game hadn't worked, the defense was bad and Singletary was still the coach--Alex Smith would not have been able to pull this game out...pure and simple!
For all the passes that Smith's receivers dropped, there were a ton more that the WR's made plays on. Crabs himself made some amazing catches 10 feet in the air. Don't get me wrong, I would love nothing more than Smith develop into a premier QB. He showed me A LOT when he came back on the Eagles, dude was pinpoint accurate and led our team to victory. He was solid against the Bucs and not so great against the Lions, but did have the winning TD toss. There is a lot there to make even the biggest Smith hater smile. Still though, when he was sailing pass after pass yesterday, how many 9ers fans said "here we go again, I knew the real Alex was going to come out sonner or later". To his credit, as you guys have pointed out, he righted the ship, refocused and made the plays when he had to. He had limited weapons with our best WR out ( Morgan ), our new deep threat out ( Braylon ) and his best option ( Vern ) blocking. The Lions front 7 is one of the best units in the league. So yeah, we can sit here and pin a million excuses for why Alex was off yesterday. If Walker and Crabs both get their feet down, were talking about another 3 TD effort by Alex.

Still though......there's something missing with Alex. Maybe Im just blinded by the previous years, maybe Im in a "show me first" state of mind. But to let you know how I personally feel about Alex, to this day I still defend the fact that if Alex Smith sat for 3 years behind Favre, had the same system in place from day 1, had amazing weapons on the outside and the stability that Aaron had...everyone would be saying "how could we have blown picking Rogers over Smith." I really do agree that environment is one of the most important factors for QB development in the NFL. I guess we'll never know.

Ok, so lets say we do go to the playoffs this year and we go deep into the playoffs with Smith, lose in the NFC championship game to the Packers. Alex does what he's done each of the previous games, manages the game and doesnt make any mistakes. We see no further growth though from what we've seen the past 3 weeks. 1 good game...1 bad game...1 so so game. After the season he's ready to get paid. He wants a 5 year deal that pays him top 10 QB money each of those years. Do you guys like Alex enough to make that kind of commitment? Do you believe in him that much that you would do that? Ill tell you from my standpoint, if he doesn't improve more...Id pass. I would love to bring him back on a 1 or 2 year deal and let CK get more seasoning, but if he was looking for a big deal...Id want out.

Thoughts??
Yea, how dare Alex not throw for 400 yards and six TD's against a top ten defense.

Share 49ersWebzone