LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

Alex Smith Total QBR for week 6: 10.3

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by schmons:
just good enough to come in second to last beating out rex grossman 9.4

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/28952/highs-and-lows-for-week-6-total-qbr

what a joke.

cam newton comes in at 80.6 with a losing effort

I don't know how that QBR thing is calculated, but Alex Smith did NOT have a good day outside of the clutch pass to Delanie Walker for the lead. He was overthrowing Crabtree - as usual - and others, and that INT he threw was downright atrocious. However, he did enough to win the game and that's really all I ask for. I'm just not surprised that his game wasn't rated highly.
5-1
Originally posted by Niners99:
stats mean nothing if you dont win the game. when it meant the most, Smith came through. period.

THIS! 5-1!
Originally posted by hofer36:
Smith was solid if not spectacular in the 1st half...he put perfect touch on a pass downfield along the sideline that crabtree let go through his hands....he put the ball in walker's hands in the end zone in 3rd quarter but it was dropped...he threaded the pass to crabtree along sideline that was incomplete when crabs came downwith only 1 leg (twice)..the long pass in end zone to ginn is probably a td if ted doesnt stumble

the pass rush got to smith in 2nd half, he wasnt setting his feet and his passes were sailing...but he rebounded from the pick and threw a CLUTCH winning score to hubert delanie walker...i could give a rip what his qb rating was

The long pass to Ginn would either be a TD or a dropped pass if it was placed in the right spot.

But yeah, let's blame it on Ginn.
stats mean nothing if you dont win the game. when it meant the most, Smith came through. period.

This is what matters in the wins and loss's column. And that's all that matters to me.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Like I have said previously, ESPN QBR strangely don't favor come-from-behind TDs. It's a plot to remove Montana from the top of the list of all-time QBs, in a way.

Montana has 4 rings that he won himself. Brady has 3 rings that Adam Vinatieri won for him. nuff said.

You seriously just credited Montana with winning 4 Super Bowls by himself? Did we not have a defense?
Archie - I agree

taney - I disagree. Ill give you this, the only stat that matters in football are wins, period, Alex has that so far. However, aside from that last drive, one in which runs setup that 1st and Goal, we are winning in spite of Smith. Harbaugh knows as much and and is being smart about what he does and does not let Smith do. But if you want Ratings, here are a couple.

Alex Smith
Yards = 25th
AVG = tied for 20th
1st down passes = 27th
1st down % = 29th
Longest Pass play = 44 yards, 31st
20+ = tied for 13th
40+ = 29th

The short passing game has inflated his QBR. Dont say its because of the WCO either because Aaron Rodgers is lighting up the scoreboard in the WCO. Alex is not accurate with down the field throws. Short to Intermediate passes are where he lives. We will go as far as the D, special team and running game takes us. Alex Smith just needs to make a couple accurate short throws to win games, like he did yesterday. He is just not a great QB, its easy to see on Sunday's.

As more time passes, and Aldon Smith become better and better, my faith that Kaepernick will turn out to be something special grows. Its becoming more evident that Jim and his staff know talent when they see it I would love nothing more than to have Alex manage games this entire year and us go deep into the playoffs. Without the OTA's and offseason Colin is way behind the curve due to how raw he was coming out of college. Hopefully we see much more of our young stud QB in 2012 and beyond.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Alex did not have a good day, but a QBR of 10? It should have been at least 25, imo. Something is wrong with their system when it rates things that poorly, on par with a QB that throws 4 picks and basically guarantees the team will lose.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
stats mean..diddley do squat..wins are everything
[ Edited by dmax on Oct 17, 2011 at 7:37 AM ]
Originally posted by GustineNiner:
Point 1: The first time I saw reggie bush play I thought he'd be a prototypical NFL receiver. He'd be a good sized wide-out, good hands, body control, stretch-the field speed and the knack for the big play. He is dynamic. However he's been masquerading as a running back since high school.
Point 2: Interestingly the first time I saw Alex Smith on film he was throwing a deap seam TD pass in high school.... to Reggie Bush...
Point 3: Reggie Bush is going nowhere on Miami's team. They aren't going to turn it around, and he's still young enough to be a part of a contender, but too old to rebuild around. I honestly think he's also primed to transition to wideout... its simply obvious he's not that effective as a between the tackles runner. Miami can deal him for some value (for his kick return/dynamic ability alone) and get more picks to rebuild.
Point 4: Braylon Edwards is a nice #2 WR... he's not a world beater. Without Josh Morgan the depth is not as talented, even when Edwards returns... The fact that 49er brass is even letting rumors abound that they are interested in Brandon Lloyd says they're desperate for a wideout. Crabtree should evolve into a #1 NFL wideout quickly as this team tastes success (as long as he's healthy). But I think they are missing the home-run hitter. The guy who can take a slant, slip a few tackles and go 80 yards running away from people for a td...
Point 5: The niners need Ted Ginn KR Insurance. The Ted Ginn PR/KR has been HUGE this year.
Point 6: Jim Harbaugh seems to be the kind of coach that gets you motivated and focused and playing to your current ceiling and wanting to break it.

Conclusion: Why not take a chance on acquiring Bush? Wouldn't the comfort of Bush (smith's high school teammate) running a nice easy drag route when he's under pressure, or breaking a route off to the corner of the end zone when smith scrambles from the pocket, give Smith a little more confidence in his throws than he's already surprisingly displaying? His QBR would be always padded and maintained by the high percentage comfort pass to an excellent athlete with big-play potential. 2-3 years learning to be a wide-out and he could be great. Add him to a 1-Crabtree, 2-Edwards,3-Bush*, 4Ginn depth chart and you have styles complementing as a perfect 4 receiver squad. The "all-around go to," the "tall spectacular catch mismatch," the "slip a tackle and take it to the house, I moonlight as a running back," and the "I'm-so-straight-line-fast-my-jukes-are-scary field stretcher." Next year you have Morgan back if you can't retain Ginn or Edwards or either. Something tells me those involved this year will want to be back. Go help Alex a little more; with Gore/Hunter and the running game, Davis/Walker and their versatility, and the current 3 wideouts, I think Reggie Bush could be the aggressive x-factor taking 49ers to the top. The d is legit. They just need to make 5 BIG plays a game as a team and not turn the ball over... I know this won't happen... But somebody PLEASE tell me why it won't... why Smith's QBR will be lower than it could be, and why no-one permanently switches Reggie Bush to wide receiver...Dude would be good.

Originally posted by 49erRider:
Smith was solid if not spectacular in the 1st half...he put perfect touch on a pass downfield along the sideline that crabtree let go through his hands....he put the ball in walker's hands in the end zone in 3rd quarter but it was dropped...he threaded the pass to crabtree along sideline that was incomplete when crabs came downwith only 1 leg (twice)..the long pass in end zone to ginn is probably a td if ted doesnt stumble

the pass rush got to smith in 2nd half, he wasnt setting his feet and his passes were sailing...but he rebounded from the pick and threw a CLUTCH winning score to hubert delanie walker...i could give a rip what his qb rating was

The long pass to Ginn would either be a TD or a dropped pass if it was placed in the right spot.

But yeah, let's blame it on Ginn.

Haters gonna Hate
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
I also want to add that Smith missed a lot of open WRs, threw his pick at a terrible time, and his game-winning "drive" was about 95% RBs.

I've been all over his jock for 2+ weeks, but this is what I saw today.

And he did it IN Detroit, with the noise, against Detroits defense, WITHOUT his 2 starting Wide Receivers...
it was a terrible performance by Smith and every other WR, even Crabtree with his 9 catches failed converting some 3rd downs because he didn't run hard enough. there was nothing pretty about the passes Smith overthrew. and even on most of the completions, guys had to make tough catches. however, he made the pass that mattered the most, and it was by far his best pass of the game since he actually hit a receiver in stride. hopefully he doesn't get one of our receives injured when they have to go up for his passes and is left unprotected. defense / OL won us this game.
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Archie - I agree

taney - I disagree. Ill give you this, the only stat that matters in football are wins, period, Alex has that so far. However, aside from that last drive, one in which runs setup that 1st and Goal, we are winning in spite of Smith. Harbaugh knows as much and and is being smart about what he does and does not let Smith do. But if you want Ratings, here are a couple.

Alex Smith
Yards = 25th
AVG = tied for 20th
1st down passes = 27th
1st down % = 29th
Longest Pass play = 44 yards, 31st
20+ = tied for 13th
40+ = 29th

The short passing game has inflated his QBR. Dont say its because of the WCO either because Aaron Rodgers is lighting up the scoreboard in the WCO. Alex is not accurate with down the field throws. Short to Intermediate passes are where he lives. We will go as far as the D, special team and running game takes us. Alex Smith just needs to make a couple accurate short throws to win games, like he did yesterday. He is just not a great QB, its easy to see on Sunday's.

As more time passes, and Aldon Smith become better and better, my faith that Kaepernick will turn out to be something special grows. Its becoming more evident that Jim and his staff know talent when they see it I would love nothing more than to have Alex manage games this entire year and us go deep into the playoffs. Without the OTA's and offseason Colin is way behind the curve due to how raw he was coming out of college. Hopefully we see much more of our young stud QB in 2012 and beyond.

So you are saying if he does not throw for 300 yards he is not great. You list out all those stats about number of passes thrown long. He has not thrown as many passes so that is skewed. Try looking at yards per attempt.
I don't think he had a good game BUT he made the play that counted.
Share 49ersWebzone