LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 221 users in the forums

Alex Smith Total QBR for week 6: 10.3

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fastforward:
Like I have said previously, ESPN QBR strangely don't favor come-from-behind TDs. It's a plot to remove Montana from the top of the list, in a way.

When he has to go to a receiver that he has poor chemistry with, statistical nightmares can be expected. These two have to correct this.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Like I have said previously, ESPN QBR strangely don't favor come-from-behind TDs. It's a plot to remove Montana from the top of the list of all-time QBs, in a way.

Montana has 4 rings that he won himself. Brady has 3 rings that Adam Vinatieri won for him. nuff said.
Harbaugh said it best, Alex Smith was "CLUTCH" today. He might've had some sailed passes but the W and the winning throw is what counts. Hopefully his play can be more consistently good as the year progresses.
Get over it. AS threw high some today. One got picked. No QB has a great game every week -- Brady had an awful game until the winning drive.He also threw the winning touchdown and made some other very nice throws. The constant Smith bashing is killing my buzz. We are 5-1 AND relevant and Smith is doing exactly what the team needs him to do.
Originally posted by schmons:
just good enough to come in second to last beating out rex grossman 9.4

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/28952/highs-and-lows-for-week-6-total-qbr

what a joke.

cam newton comes in at 80.6 with a losing effort

and against Cleveland Alex Smith will score a 500 so who gives a crap.
ITS A WIN
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ozanter:
"CLUTCH"

this
Jay Cutler tried to do it all last week. He made completions off his back foot that a lot of quarterbacks wish they could make. He also got the crap beat out of him and they lost. Alex played within himself and within the game plan, and they won. I don't care what Alex Smith's qbr is or what espn says about the 49ers. The right people know what we have here. The rest will take care of itself.
Originally posted by okdkid:
We don't need Alex Smith to play well every week. That's not who we are. We need to minimize turnovers, run the ball, and allow our NFL best defense to shut teams down.

NFL best defense. Just wanted to read that again!
Not saying Alex played well but does this ridiculous system calculate in the 3 or so drops including the 1 for a TD? Does it include Ginn's stumble? Does it calculate the game winning TD he threw? Alex didn't play well but he got the job done. Stats and ratings can lie... you have to watch the game if you want to know how they really played. His stats look bad but he could have easily been 20/32 for 3 TDs and 1 INT.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
I also want to add that Smith missed a lot of open WRs, threw his pick at a terrible time, and his game-winning "drive" was about 95% RBs.

I've been all over his jock for 2+ weeks, but this is what I saw today.

Have you watched the the gaming winning drive against cinci in the superbowl.... mostly runs.

Expect Smith to get better as the season progresses, this is the WCO now.

• kray28
  • Veteran
It's a garbage stat that's cherry picked to weight things that BSPN sees as making a "better QB". In other words, it's weighted to make their picks of the best QBs come out on top. Of course, it looks at individual stats alone more than anything else.

I just fail to why it's any better than the classic QB Rating. BSPN acts like it's adding some value, but it's not really, and in any cases is actually telling us less than the classic QB Rating does.
It wasnt his best game by far. Some poor throws in the 2nd half. But just a little bit better than Grossman with his 4 INTs? That ranking is really questionable at times.
GREAT WIN 9ERS!!! 9ers nation has been waiting A LONG TIME for this kind passion on the field, not just in the locker room ( Sing ), just keep it between the lines Jim ( wink ). Being a 9ers fan my entire life, after yesterday's game, I just sat in my seat and smiled. There were SO many reasons why we should have LOST yesterday, between the sack fumble to start off the game, to the bad pick Alex had, to the several high throws with wide open guys, to the 150 penalties...but they manned up and won in a very hostile environment against a solid team. The 9ers formula is pretty simple...best special teams in the league ( Ginn's returns, Aker's kicks, Lee's booming punts, great coverage ) + the best young D in the league ( Sorry Pitt, we are becoming what you were 5-7 years ago..theres a new young Heavyweight looking for a belt! ) + a young athletic line coming into their own + a great RB combo with Gore and Kendal + one of the best Turnover Ratios in the league = Wins. I caution 9ers nation though. Lets not get ahead of ourselves. We are NOT at the elite level yet. Is there a chance to go deep into the playoffs with a Ravens like D and running game? Sure, but the league has changed over the past 10 years. You NEED to have an elite QB who can take over a game when needed. Alex Smith is a great guy and all, but he's not close to being elite. Please do not throw his Red Zone stats or QB Rating at me, I know them all. Ask yourself THE question 9ers fans, you know, THE one we used to ask the Elway, Marino guys back in the 80's? If you had 80 yards and 2 minutes to go for a SB win, rank the QB's you would want at the helm? Forget the previous years, just look around the NFL today and see where Alex Smith would rank on that list. Not very high. Listen, the most exciting thing about this 49ers season is Jimmy H. He took this team and made it his own, the turnaround is happening at LUDICROUS SPEED but there is still a lot of room for improvement and growth. This team is not the Packers, or the Saints, or the Pats..hell, we arent even the Chargers. We are a solid, young, hungry team that is going to battle for 60 minutes. Once we get a QB, then the next step in our evolution will be taken. Im rooting for Alex, but it was pretty clear that he is never going to be THAT GUY. Again, could he win a SB if the chips all fell the right way and our D ended up being an all time great like the Ravens? Sure, but the probability of that happening are slim. 9-7 and our 1st playoff appearance in almost 10 years would be more than enough to call this season a GREAT success. 5-1 has us dreaming big, nothing wrong with that, but aside from this year, our future looks BRIGHT!!! Congrats Jimmy Harbaugh you are turning out to be worth every penny! GO 9ERS!!!
Alex Smith did not play well most of the game plain and simple but he did play well on the final drive. Alex needs to be a better quarterback because that position with the rules the way they are now are what's keeping us from being an elite team. I knew the Patriots were going to drive 80 yards yesterday and beat Dallas because Brady is an elite quarterback. I was not sure Smith could drive 35 yards and get us the win but he did do that. When you throw for less 150 yards in today's Nfl you're sorry but give credit to the coaching staff for designing plays that don't depend on the quarterback to be consistently good. Alex Smith is a mediocre quarterback but the 49ers are very good on defense and the running game is very good so and the special teams give us good field position so Smith doesn't have to be good all game long just good in spurts.
Alex Smith is a good QB. The ratings this year bare that point out and if you look over the last 12 games or so he is a top 10 QB without a doubt. Saying he is a mediocre QB doens't make it so.
Share 49ersWebzone