LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

Fangio takes away the outside

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Fangio Takes Away the Outside

The 49ers held Matthew Stafford to 4 of 16 passing with no scores on throws outside of the painted field numbers.
Stafford's completion percentage (25.0 percent) was his lowest on such throws since Week 9 of 2010 against the Jets and it was just the second time Stafford has been held to 25.0 percent or lower in his career.

"ESPN Stats and Information"

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/sf/san-francisco-49ers
We dont win this game if Manusky is DC
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for 49ERFANb4Uwas.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

Amen...I was gettin tired of his "bend but don't break" foolishness
Fangio can write a book on 3-4 defense. Mansusky will have trouble filling out a 2 sided pamphlet. Not even close is experience. Some of us were concerned about losing Manusky
Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:

what's funny is that is, more or less, what this defense is. We give up yards, but we control what kind of yards we give up, basically. Manusky never seemed to be able to dictate like Fangio is dictating.

It's just a testament to the quality of the coaching we have now that we're basically playing football exactly the way Nolan and Singletary wanted to play, but were incapable of playing because of their ineptitude.
I'm loving Fangio's Defense. What I like most is that it seems to be as smart and percentage based as agressive and ruthless. Every week we give up some yards but every week we make plays and get it where it matters. SHould be a fun bye week. Also I'm very very impressed with how well the rookies are playing in the schemes and hte FAs. Makes you think we know what it is we want out there.

How much of a distant memory are Clements, Spikes, and Taylor Mays?
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Fangio can write a book on 3-4 defense. Mansusky will have trouble filling out a 2 sided pamphlet. Not even close is experience. Some of us were concerned about losing Manusky

LOL
Originally posted by HessianDud:

what's funny is that is, more or less, what this defense is. We give up yards, but we control what kind of yards we give up, basically. Manusky never seemed to be able to dictate like Fangio is dictating.

It's just a testament to the quality of the coaching we have now that we're basically playing football exactly the way Nolan and Singletary wanted to play, but were incapable of playing because of their ineptitude.

I agree. We are actually running a true 'bend but don't break' defense. The offense may get its yardage down field but we clamp down more often than not in the red zone. At inside their own 20, we do our damage with our front 7. Manusky ran a 'bend then bend over' type of defense.

I agree. We are actually running a true 'bend but don't break' defense. The offense may get its yardage down field but we clamp down more often than not in the red zone. At inside their own 20, we do our damage with our front 7. Manusky ran a 'bend then bend over' type of defense.

This is full of truth

This is full of truth

+1

Fangio, really exposed the Lions offense today. The Lions Big Play Attach (sans running game), with them
mostly in the shotgun, was a non factor in the final scheme of things. Look for other teams, to try and replicate
some of what the Niners did in Detroit.

I was worried more about the crowd noise going into this game, than I was about their D, and their team as a whole.
I don't think you beat the 49ers this season, without a very balanced/good team. The Lions are lucky they weren't at
The Stick for this game. Without the crowd noise, FMPOV ... they get DOGGED, and I don't think the final score would
have been as close.
[ Edited by FlayvaMeister on Oct 16, 2011 at 7:42 PM ]
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
With all the hype that Stafford, CJ, and their D-Line was getting this past week....they looked at our defense and we were just good...but their defense was solid. Ummm....NO! Everyone expected our secondary to give up big plays, which we did not. Not only did we stop the run but we also stopped the big plays and basically shutdown the redzone.
Originally posted by Baldie:
With all the hype that Stafford, CJ, and their D-Line was getting this past week....they looked at our defense and we were just good...but their defense was solid. Ummm....NO! Everyone expected our secondary to give up big plays, which we did not. Not only did we stop the run but we also stopped the big plays and basically shutdown the redzone.

Very proud of how they shut down CJ, he was a big concern going into the game. Although he had over 100 yards, 40 or so came from one catch which resulted in nothing after. The big thing is no touchdowns from him.

Eh...in fairness to him we never had a consistent pass rush, and I'm not sure that's entirely his fault. The addition of Aldon allows us to be more creative with the coverages. Still, Fangio is slaying 'em out there.
Originally posted by baltien:

Eh...in fairness to him we never had a consistent pass rush, and I'm not sure that's entirely his fault. The addition of Aldon allows us to be more creative with the coverages. Still, Fangio is slaying 'em out there.

Plus Brooks is playing better this year.
Share 49ersWebzone