LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 315 users in the forums

Mike Iupati

Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by Beeker:
I'm sorry, I just don't agree that Crabs will be that hard to sign. He has 2 years left on his contract - Let's see what he does for those 2 years. If he rolls 1500 yds and 12 TD's each season, he'll get paid. If he doesn't, he won't. If he puts up "elite" numbers, I can see him wanting a max contract. If he puts up top 15 numbers, then he won't get paid as well, and very well could decide to just stay in SF. Now, as a caveat, if the 49ers turn around and win the next 2 Super Bowls, well, all bets are off at that point.

You really have enough faith in Crabtree that hes matured from a kid coming off a foot injury wanting a huge contract to a reasonable player who will understand his true market value?

Actually, yes, I do. I think he will see the reality of the situation is that he's better off staying in SF for a little less (not $4 or 5 mil a year less, maybe $1 or 2) than signing elsewhere. Of course, this also means he's matured enough to realize it isn't ALWAYS about the money.

But what do I know???
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/15/early-talks-commence-between-49ers-and-iupati/

To all the clones who said, "we can't keep both Willis and Boman - who should we let go?" AND, "we can't keep bot Davis and Iupati - who should we let go?"

I told you so.

We keep both!

Of course we "could" sign Bowman and Willis. The problem is who we DON'T sign.

If we want to sign Iupati, Kap, Aldon, Crabtree, they will cost, at a minimum, 50 million dollars (per year). Even if we let Crabtree go, we still have to cough up 40 million (per year). And no, Goodwin, Whitner and Carlos Rodgers salaries do not come close to that.
It's looking more and more like Boldin and Manningham are rentals. Gore and J Smith are going to have to be put to pasture too. Those seven players will have to be lost to sign Iupati, Kap, and Aldon.

Do we need four top linebackers and a top guard, more than one top WR? That seems like a stretch to me. Oh well, it's a good problem to have I guess.

Uhh...Boldin,Gore,and Smith will all likely be retired or close by Kaps deal anyway...just sayin. Oh and Rio already took a pay cut....so yeah, they are all "rentals" at this point.

Seriously guys the deal isn't done and your already in a panic....I think our guys know what they are doing. The core of our O is the line and Kap, the Core of our D is the LBs. The rest will be taken care of or let go balanced against their value. A guys like Crabs is a nice piece and will be here if he takes the deal we offer...but let's not pretend if he wants Megatron money that he plays at Megtron's level.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Has there ever been a team in history with 4 pro bowl lbs let alone all pro lbs?

Saints? Dome Patrol? 80s-90s

Swilling
Jackson
Johnson
Mills

Edit: n/m, already answered
[ Edited by Beeker on Apr 15, 2013 at 5:36 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Fangio talks about them all the time in his press conferences and gets questions from the media asking about them and to compare the 2 groups. He said these guys could be them but they need to be together for that long.

20 pro bowls between the 4 and 18 were with the saints. One is in the hall of fame (ricky jackson)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dome_Patrol

The Saints' defense led the league in least points surrendered and turnovers in 1991, and again in least points surrendered in 1992. The defense also boasted twenty-seven games giving up ten or fewer points, with five shutouts. The four linebackers made NFL history by collectively being named to the Pro Bowl in 1992

And their offense was putrid. The defense gave them the ball over and over and they still lagged far behind the league leaders. If not for Bobby Hebert at QB, they could have had a championship. That defense and Morten Andersen were golden
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Apr 15, 2013 at 5:36 PM ]
Let's consider this we have two guys on our OL who are heavily discounted in Staley and Boone locked. We have CK and Aldon currently way below their value. The core of this team will be great going forward. We will have to prioritize but we have already began doing that with letting Goldson go. People are freaking out when our front office has shown to be extremely adept at drafting and maintaining key members typically at value prices (only Rogers was above his value). I'm not worried, we have 14 draft picks, we have a couple of guys who could be contributors going forward that haven't played much yet in Ian, Jenkins, Looney, Kilgore, Johnson who may contribute going forward. I know will have to make sacrifices, but I think we keep the big dogs and let the old dogs and not so great dogs go. While certain players we may believe are key, probably aren't. Now, we are even getting players at below their market value (Nnamdi).

We now have a young and potential franchise QB, a great and pretty young OL, the best Lb'er core in the league which is relatively young, and some great special teams. Additionally, we have a stud TE, some solid players on the DL, a good stable of RBs, and some solid CBs. CBs/safeties/WRs are our big glaring issues long term. Obviously short term, safety is also an issue and replacing Justin effectively is an issue. While some of these things are worrisome, WE GOT IT BETTER THAN ALMOST EVERYBODY!
People also need to keep him mind that there is a draft every year, and thus far, Baalke has shown to be a pretty good evaluator of talent. Because of his picks, we don't have to draft QB, RB, OL, or LB high for the next several years. It allows us to use our top picks to shore up the other positions that are not currently areas of strength and perhaps develop some players as insurance in the event that the contract demands for any of our free agents is too high.
The key to winning in the NFL is to get a get a number of players at below market value which typically happens from the draft or in situations like Staley/Boone or Nnamdi where you lock up players before their value blows up. Teams that age typically struggle (see the Packers the last 2 years), thus you need to keep things young and cheap due to free agency. That's why it's so hard to stay on top nowadays and become a dynasty. Hopefully, Baalke hits some homers with all of our picks this year because we have clear needs / upgrades going forward to many key positions:

1) Replacing Justin
2) Safety situation-both safety positions are up for grabs
3) WR situation-Crab? Boldin? Jenkins?-so many questions
4) CB situation long term-Culliver/Brown? Nnamdi?
5) C situation-Looney or Kilgore true options?
6) K situation
7) TE-who will replace Walker
8) RB situation-Can LMJ and Hunter replace Gore
9) LB'er depth
10) OL depth
11) NT-do we need one?

So we have the following areas of non need:

1) QB
2) Starting Lber
3) LT, LG, RT, RG
4) TE
5) Punter
6) Ray Mc

We have a lot of questions and a ton of potential questions and turnover coming up. I don't think our non need $$$ will be nearly as bad as people think due to the way many of the contracts are structured. The big questions are we need to replace some of our big needs through the draft and not through FA so we have long term solutions. I'm honestly not worried about the cap as much as I'm worried about effectively replacing guys like Justin, Goldson, Gore effectively and cheaply.
Erebody freakin' out.
Erebody needa calm down.

There are long term answers on this team already, though most of you refuse to look past who is starting. There is depth on this team, what few areas there are that need depth are being addressed through FA and the draft. Truth is, WE DON'T KNOW about the draft class of 2012 outside of LMJ. Not yet. I think quite a few players this year will step up (Kilgore, Looney, Robinson, Johnson, Jenkins to name a few) and contribute nicely. This team is built WAY better than most people think. I know I'll get flamed for this post, but I don't care. It's my opinion, and if you don't like it, move on to the next one.
[ Edited by Beeker on Apr 15, 2013 at 6:50 PM ]
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Has there ever been a team in history with 4 pro bowl lbs let alone all pro lbs?

Saints? Dome Patrol? 80s-90s

Swilling
Jackson
Johnson
Mills

You know where Rickey Jackson got his ring.
Originally posted by Beeker:
Erebody freakin' out.
Erebody needa calm down.

There are long term answers on this team already, though most of you refuse to look past who is starting. There is depth on this team, what few areas there are that need depth are being addressed through FA and the draft. Truth is, WE DON'T KNOW about the draft class of 2012 outside of LMJ. Not yet. I think quite a few players this year will step up (Kilgore, Looney, Robinson, Johnson, Jenkins to name a few) and contribute nicely. This team is built WAY better than most people think. I know I'll get flamed for this post, but I don't care. It's my opinion, and if you don't like it, move on to the next one.

Well said sir.

With the track record of this FO I think it's safe to say they have got it covered. Or at least know of and are actively trying to address everything.

2012 class will be fine. Aldon and bowman came in and produced and all of a sudden all rookies are supposed to start and be pro ballers
[ Edited by Aussie49ah on Apr 16, 2013 at 7:38 AM ]

I remember the Niners team in the late 80's and early 90's. We were a juggernaut offense but every time we played the Caper/Fangio Saints, Young and Co. got roughed up. The scores were more like baseball scores with both teams having 20 points or so combined. Fangio knows how to bring the heat with linebackers if he decides to.
I am probably going to get fried for this, but I simply do not think a guard is worth 10 million a year. Plain and simple. Carl Nicks went to the Bucs and he did not much for them. Hutchinson left Vikings to Seattle did not do much there. Iupati, who I love as a player is awesome. Simply put any Guard should not command 5-8% of the salary cap space of a team.

He is under contract for 2013 and 2014. He is under contract, KEEP him, then franchise him for 2015.

One can only look at 3 year windows, they sign him now they only are gaining 2016 and 2017. If someone signs him as a franchise FA, the niners can match or get 1st round draft picks. I would take two first round draft picks and the salary cap space over Iupati.

2013- Under contract
2014- Under contract
2015 Franchise him-
2016 Franchise him.

This is equivalent to a four year 25 million dollar contract for the front office. Four years 25 million or 5 years 50 million, that is the question.

Again, I want to Keep Iupati, but this is equivalent to
Originally posted by 9erred:
I am probably going to get fried for this, but I simply do not think a guard is worth 10 million a year. Plain and simple. Carl Nicks went to the Bucs and he did not much for them. Hutchinson left Vikings to Seattle did not do much there. Iupati, who I love as a player is awesome. Simply put any Guard should not command 5-8% of the salary cap space of a team.

He is under contract for 2013 and 2014. He is under contract, KEEP him, then franchise him for 2015.

One can only look at 3 year windows, they sign him now they only are gaining 2016 and 2017. If someone signs him as a franchise FA, the niners can match or get 1st round draft picks. I would take two first round draft picks and the salary cap space over Iupati.

2013- Under contract
2014- Under contract
2015 Franchise him-
2016 Franchise him.

This is equivalent to a four year 25 million dollar contract for the front office. Four years 25 million or 5 years 50 million, that is the question.

Will have to see what happens. I'm not sure he is going to command that much but I could be wrong.
Originally posted by capone0:

2013- Under contract
2014- Under contract
2015 Franchise him-
2016 Franchise him.

Will have to see what happens. I'm not sure he is going to command that much but I could be wrong.

Latest News
Recent News
CSN Bay Area confirms the 49ers have had "preliminary" extension talks with LG Mike Iupati, but that no deal is imminent.
Per beat writer Matt Maiocco, there is no timetable on "striking an agreement." The 49ers' mauling left guard is coming off a monster 2012, but is still signed through 2014. Iupati would likely look to top new Titans G Andy Levitre (six years, $46.8 million) in any new deal, and could approach Carl Nicks money (five years, $47.5M). Apr 15 - 10:56 AM
Source: CSN Bay Area

That is my point 4 years 25 million vs 5 years 47.5-50 million. Seems like a no brainer to me. Brutal business, just my two cents.
Latest News
Recent News
CSN Bay Area confirms the 49ers have had "preliminary" extension talks with LG Mike Iupati, but that no deal is imminent.
Per beat writer Matt Maiocco, there is no timetable on "striking an agreement." The 49ers' mauling left guard is coming off a monster 2012, but is still signed through 2014. Iupati would likely look to top new Titans G Andy Levitre (six years, $46.8 million) in any new deal, and could approach Carl Nicks money (five years, $47.5M). Apr 15 - 10:56 AM
Source: CSN Bay Area

That is my point 4 years 25 million vs 5 years 47.5-50 million. Seems like a no brainer to me. Brutal business, just my two cents.

You may be right. My original prediction is that both Iupati and Crabtree would be the odd men out as far as getting extensions. Unless Paraag and co. can structure contracts that can make it work, i think he's the odd man out.
Share 49ersWebzone