There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mike Iupati

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good call Gore21.

AND it isn't over yet.

Our FO is setting us up to succeed for this season and the future.

Only real downside was Goldson, going to be really tough for a rookie to replace him or even ever get close to where he was at down the road. Other big loss was Walker but I think he could be replaced in the 2nd or 3rd round by someone like Kelce. Granted it might take them a few years to be able to do all the Walker did though. Seemed like the Goldson loss was just inevitable though. I don't blame the guy, he only made his rookie contract, a 2.5 mil in 2011 and then 6.5 last year so he had to be around 10 mil for his career and he has by far earned more than that. If Griffin could get 35 he deserved 40... they better hope he doesn't drop off like Griffin though. Was reading the bleacher report top 1000 (it's by matt miller though who is well respected, not just some joe schmo on there) and he had Griffin ranked last out of 75. Heard a lot of Titans fans talking about how bad he regressed as well. He was just getting what he deserved... blame it on teams overpaying safeties like Landry, Rolle, Griffin, etc.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 15, 2013 at 3:49 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erRider:
I think I read he can void it.

To void the final year of his deal Crabtree needed to make the pro bowl at least once in the first 4 years of his contract, and 2012 was year 4. He's locked in now.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Only real downside was Goldson, going to be really tough for a rookie to replace him or even ever get close to where he was at down the road. Other big loss was Walker but I think he could be replaced in the 2nd or 3rd round by someone like Kelce. Granted it might take them a few years to be able to do all the Walker did though. Seemed like the Goldson loss was just inevitable though. I don't blame the guy, he only made his rookie contract, a 2.5 mil in 2011 and then 6.5 last year so he had to be around 10 mil for his career and he has by far earned more than that. If Griffin could get 35 he deserved 40... they better hope he doesn't drop off like Griffin though. Was reading the bleacher report top 1000 (it's by matt miller though who is well respected, not just some joe schmo on there) and he had Griffin ranked last out of 75. Heard a lot of Titans fans talking about how bad he regressed as well. He was just getting what he deserved... blame it on teams overpaying safeties like Landry, Rolle, Griffin, etc.

If we improve our pass rush it shouldn't matter that much. That's a big if though. I'm sure our safety play will drop some but not enough to justify Goldson's salary demands.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I'd call it a pretty damn successful offseason.

-Extended Anthony Davis Through 2019, Iupati Will Probably Be the Same
-Traded Alex Smith for a top of the 2nd round pick and another 2nd (or 3rd) next year
-Trade for a Top #2 WR For a Late 6 - Cost is Only 6 mil
-Replaced RJF 22 Mil, Sopoaga 12 Mil with Dorsey 6 Mil and Williams 3.2 Mil (Minimal Perfornance Lost at a Fraction of the Cost)
-Restructured Two Players We Need In Haralson 1.3 Mil and Manningham 1.8 Mi (Both Players Cut 50%, Saving 3.1 Mil Total)
-Likely Fix the ST with Dawson, Skuta, Dahl and possibly Moore (Retained Brock)
-Added Asomugha for 1.35 Mil, 3 Mil Max
-Traded For Backup QB w/ Experience (Moved down 9 spots from end of 5th to early 6 + Late 7. Using Draft Chart Value it equals to Mid 7)

Pretty impressive work by Baalke.

Nice list.
Originally posted by susweel:
salary cap hell here we come

I trust Baalke and Parag more. They plan years ahead while some pretend to know it all in an internet forum
[ Edited by kronik on Apr 15, 2013 at 4:08 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerGod:
Singletary did one of his many jobs well. Our o-line is here to stay,

Singletary couldn't pick his nose let alone a college player.

These were Baalke picks.

Sing wanted Mays, Baalke didn't... we know how that worked out.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/15/early-talks-commence-between-49ers-and-iupati/

To all the clones who said, "we can't keep both Willis and Boman - who should we let go?" AND, "we can't keep bot Davis and Iupati - who should we let go?"

I told you so.

We keep both!

Of course we "could" sign Bowman and Willis. The problem is who we DON'T sign.

If we want to sign Iupati, Kap, Aldon, Crabtree, they will cost, at a minimum, 50 million dollars (per year). Even if we let Crabtree go, we still have to cough up 40 million (per year). And no, Goodwin, Whitner and Carlos Rodgers salaries do not come close to that.
It's looking more and more like Boldin and Manningham are rentals. Gore and J Smith are going to have to be put to pasture too. Those seven players will have to be lost to sign Iupati, Kap, and Aldon.

Do we need four top linebackers and a top guard, more than one top WR? That seems like a stretch to me. Oh well, it's a good problem to have I guess.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

If we want to sign Iupati, Kap, Aldon, Crabtree, they will cost, at a minimum, 50 million dollars (per year). Even if we let Crabtree go, we still have to cough up 40 million (per year). And no, Goodwin, Whitner and Carlos Rodgers salaries do not come close to that.
It's looking more and more like Boldin and Manningham are rentals. Gore and J Smith are going to have to be put to pasture too. Those seven players will have to be lost to sign Iupati, Kap, and Aldon.

Do we need four top linebackers and a top guard, more than one top WR? That seems like a stretch to me. Oh well, it's a good problem to have I guess.

If the old saying defense wins championships is true then yeah we do. The difference between keeping our four top lbs or a top wr is night and day to me though. Crabs is a great receiver not quite top but amazing nonetheless but wr is a position in the league were there is plenty of talent entering yearly or available yearly where lbs at the level of ours isnt quite as common.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

We will keep the best and most important players. The rest we will let get paid elsewhere. For this team, we have elite homegrown drafted and developed talent at QB, OL, ILB, OLB, TE and arguably WR. Gore's career has been on par or has surpassed any of the currently active NFL running backs but we all know his time is winding down. I figure he still has 2 to 3 good to great years left in the tank . I figure that we will try to keep Kaep, Aldon, Iupati and Crabtree in this order. We know that we can go to the draft over the years and get WR RB DL CB OL and S talent to complement our true core of CK, OL, and our LBs. our QB and OL will be the strength of our offense and our LBs will be the strength of our defense just following the money. I think we will continue to attack the DL by depth and rotation from heretoforth
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Apr 15, 2013 at 4:56 PM ]
Has there ever been a team in history with 4 pro bowl lbs let alone all pro lbs?
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Has there ever been a team in history with 4 pro bowl lbs let alone all pro lbs?

Saints? Dome Patrol? 80s-90s

Swilling
Jackson
Johnson
Mills
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Saints? Dome Patrol? 80s-90s

Swilling
Jackson
Johnson
Mills

Hm i guess since i never cared about the saints i didnt know. Thanks. For a little shock value you should have mentioned the biggest thing they and the 49ers have in common. Fangio...
[ Edited by LoneWolf on Apr 15, 2013 at 5:10 PM ]
Hm i guess since i never cared about the saints i didnt know. Thanks. For a little shock value you should have mentioned the biggest thing they and the 49ers have in common. Fangio...

Fangio talks about them all the time in his press conferences and gets questions from the media asking about them and to compare the 2 groups. He said these guys could be them but they need to be together for that long.

20 pro bowls between the 4 and 18 were with the saints. One is in the hall of fame (ricky jackson)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dome_Patrol

The Saints' defense led the league in least points surrendered and turnovers in 1991, and again in least points surrendered in 1992. The defense also boasted twenty-seven games giving up ten or fewer points, with five shutouts. The four linebackers made NFL history by collectively being named to the Pro Bowl in 1992
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 15, 2013 at 5:16 PM ]
Fangio talks about them all the time in his press conferences and gets questions from the media asking about them and to compare the 2 groups. He said these guys could be them but they need to be together for that long.

I guess i need to watch more press conferences. If only the audio didnt suck on my laptop.
I guess i need to watch more press conferences. If only the audio didnt suck on my laptop.

It's really hard to hear them no matter how good your audio is since it's outside, usually windy and you have the planes overhead. Edited my post and threw some stats in there for you from wiki. Sounds like a pretty impressive group. Our guys are on their way if they can stay together.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 15, 2013 at 5:26 PM ]