There are 77 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mike Iupati

Iupati wont be going to center lol. I honestly think with this news Crabtree really will actually be the talent we have to sacrifice to avoid financial situations. I think the front office knows that as well. If he was as demanding for a new contract as he was for his rookie contract Crabs will be gone unfortunatly.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Iupati wont be going to center lol. I honestly think with this news Crabtree really will actually be the talent we have to sacrifice to avoid financial situations. I think the front office knows that as well. If he was as demanding for a new contract as he was for his rookie contract Crabs will be gone unfortunatly.

We better start prepping then for Crabs leaving then. Honestly, I hope we don't do it this year. I honestly think the market for Crabs like Victor Cruz will be smaller than Crab is expecting.
This is great news, hopefully it gets done soon. Would be great that have the OL locked down, would need to extend Boone when the time is right.

The Core should be made up of these guys.

Long Term Deals:

Vernon
Anthony Davis
Willis
Bowman
Brooks (If he can improve)
Iupati
Kap
Aldon
Lee
Hunter
James
Boone
Staley
Culliver
Looney/Kilgore

Short Term Deals:

Justin
Jennings
Dorsey
Skuta (ST Ace)
Spillman (ST Ace also)
Dahl (ST Depth also)

Might be gone:

Crabtree
Brown
Rogers
Manningham (Would like to keep him at least short term deal, 3yr deal)
Boldin
Whitner
Goodwin (Wouldn't mind back on low deal)

Unsure:

Nnamdi (Could have a tremendous 2013 and get locked down in a long term deal)
Jenkins
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
This is great news, hopefully it gets done soon. Would be great that have the OL locked down, would need to extend Boone when the time is right.

Long Term Deals:

Vernon
Anthony Davis
Willis
Bowman
Iupati
Kap
Aldon
Lee
Hunter
James
Boone
Staley
Culliver
Looney/Kilgore

Short Term Deals:

Justin
Jennings
Dorsey
Skuta (ST Ace)
Spillman (ST Ace also)
Dahl (ST Depth also)

Might be gone:

Crabtree
Brown
Rogers
Boldin
Whitner

Unsure:

Jenkins
Missing

Dawson-Short/Gone
Ian WIlliams-?
McDonald-Long
[ Edited by capone0 on Apr 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM ]
Given the overall talent on the 49ers nowadays, I don't think it is feasible to expect the teams core group to remain intact beyond 2015. Iupati, Kaepernick, Aldon Smith and Crabtree will all likely command huge dollars, and when is Vernon Davis' next deal up? Justin Smith is due as well here soon. The question becomes priorities, so we should be looking at ranking them in order of priority first.

From my armchair quarterbacking position, here's my pre-2013 list:

1. Kaepernick - duh.
2. M.Iupati - We are a running team and Iupati is the best in the game at what we need to be able to do what we do on offense.
3. A.Smith - I'm convinced there was an injury there last season and that Aldon returns to fine form next season. Thus, he becomes #3 (or #2 depending)
4. M.Crabtree - While he is clearly a #1 WR in my books, teams generally don't place WR as priority over QB's or pass rushers. Perhaps because of this the 49ers may again look at WR early in the draft (in preparation for Crabtree's eventual departure).
Originally posted by capone0:
We better start prepping then for Crabs leaving then. Honestly, I hope we don't do it this year. I honestly think the market for Crabs like Victor Cruz will be smaller than Crab is expecting.

I agree, and this isnt a hit on crabs either hes a great receiver, just not the kind of receiver teams have huge blank checks for. But then again it all depends on the team.

Long Term Deals:

Vernon
Anthony Davis
Willis
Bowman
Iupati
Kap
Aldon
Lee
Hunter
James
Boone
Staley
Culliver
Looney/Kilgore

Short Term Deals:

Justin
Jennings
Dorsey
Skuta (ST Ace)
Spillman (ST Ace also)
Dahl (ST Depth also)

Might be gone:

Crabtree
Brown
Rogers
Boldin
Whitner

Unsure:

Jenkins
Missing

Dawson-Short/Gone
Ian WIlliams-?
McDonald-Long

Shoot, McDonald is long term, Ian Williams is unsure, want to see him play some actual snaps. and Dawson should be short. Thanks for noticing that.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Given the overall talent on the 49ers nowadays, I don't think it is feasible to expect the teams core group to remain intact beyond 2015. Iupati, Kaepernick, Aldon Smith and Crabtree will all likely command huge dollars, and when is Vernon Davis' next deal up? Justin Smith is due as well here soon. The question becomes priorities, so we should be looking at ranking them in order of priority first.

1. Kaepernick - duh.
2. M.Iupati - We are a running team and Iupati is the best in the game at what we need to be able to do what we do on offense.
3. A.Smith - I'm convinced there was an injury there last season and that Aldon returns to fine form next season. Thus, he becomes #3 (or #2 depending)
4. M.Crabtree - While he is clearly a #1 WR in my books, teams generally don't place WR as priority over QB's or pass rushers. Perhaps because of this the 49ers may again look at WR early in the draft (in preparation for Crabtree's eventual departure).

Agree, some guys are getting old though so they will be gone or their salary reduced. VD will not get another giant contract b/c he is getting old and depends a ton on speed. But guys like Staley and Boone salary could grow which means we need to get adequete backups for them going forward.

1. Kaepernick - duh.

Agree, some guys are getting old though so they will be gone or their salary reduced. VD will not get another giant contract b/c he is getting old and depends a ton on speed. But guys like Staley and Boone salary could grow which means we need to get adequete backups for them going forward.

I think the general view is you can't afford to pay everybody, which is similar in the corporate world as there are only so many executive positions to go around, so which ones? I have ranked what would be my priorities but that still doesn't factor in what's going on with the secondary (those guys aren't cheap either) and the d-line. In the end it depends on the players and the size of their contracts they will settle for that determines the right fit going forward. I wouldn't expect any of those guys to play at a discount (would you?) so I'm thinking WR's are usually the most grandiose in their demands and thus more difficult to re-sign.

Just to throw another alternative out there. The 49ers could re-sign all the core guys if they are willing to play with younger players on rookie-level contracts in the secondary, at RB, and at defensive line.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Apr 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM ]
Take a look at this.

http://www.overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=G

Seems Iupati's value should be between $7M and $8M a year.

Look at where Iupati's current contract is, below guys like Adam Snyder of all people.
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,000 for baltien.
Crabs is cool, but losing him wouldn't be the end of the world. He just went over 1,000 yards receiving. Lets see what he does this year before crying about losing an "elite" receiver (which is a generous stretch).
I think the general view is you can't afford to pay everybody, which is similar in the corporate world as there are only so many executive positions to go around, so which ones? I have ranked what would be my priorities but that still doesn't factor in what's going on with the secondary (those guys aren't cheap either) and the d-line. In the end it depends on the players and the size of their contracts they will settle for that determines the right fit going forward. I wouldn't expect any of those guys to play at a discount (would you?) so I'm thinking WR's are usually the most grandiose in their demands and thus more difficult to re-sign.

Just to throw another alternative out there. The 49ers could re-sign all the core guys if they are willing to play with younger players on rookie-level contracts in the secondary, at RB, and at defensive line.

Keep young core, draft well, let older and non-key players transition. Keep a couple of key leaders but not too long. Only pay FA that are willing to take discounts or are at positions that are really hard to fill. The key is NEVER overpay anyone and NEVER keep players longer than they are worth. I think we have 2 of those players right now (Rogers and Goodwin and possibly Gore but that isn't overly bad).
Good. Love seeing a badass vandal in a niners uni. Oline stays together. Great job by the FO.
Originally posted by dhp318:
But Iupati is not a free agent, so we might be able to get Iupati for less.

True you can get him for less but you gotta be in the same ball park. Can't roll up on dudes and offer them a low ball extension b/c then they won't sign and get upset and have their mind set on hitting FA.
  • IT21
  • Veteran
Take a look at this.

http://www.overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=G

Seems Iupati's value should be between $7M and $8M a year.

Look at where Iupati's current contract is, below guys like Adam Snyder of all people.

definitely deserves that money
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home