LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Mike Iupati

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
He had one miscue today, other than that I thought the O-line played pretty well. Jonathan Martin is the one who impressed me on that O-line today.

what, the play where he missed the blitzer running under his nose?

If you go back and look at that play, Iupati was trying to help out on a double team, I think he was just confused on who he was suppose to pick up. Again he had a bad play, other than that I thought he played pretty well.
Originally posted by theduke85:
Seriously though, that play was so bad. I don't know if he thought that linebacker was spying or what, but he literally turned 140 degrees away from him to go and "help" double team the defensive end, giving that linebacker a gaping hole to pressure Kaepernick from.

Seen that play that was bad. I had some thoughts on him from marvin's thread but I'll throw them in here since they apply:

A few plays on the first drive Iupati is lunging out with his hands and missing and the guy just blows past him. Wouldn't the coaches tell him to stop lunging? Shouldn't he be going back on his first step and then locking down? The touchdown play to Davis he did it and Gore was there to help him. Also, seeing Kilgore give Looney help when he they should be telling him to help Iupati if he is free. His pull on that first drive a few plays prior wasn't pretty either. Not sure if he's keeping an injury secret due to the contract or age is catching up with him or just trying to play too hard because of it being a contract year. He seems stiff, his arm work and footwork aren't looking good either. Finished with the first half seeing more lunges and misses.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Right Guards don't pull?

We pull our LG Iupati I believe a lot more than we pull our RG.
double post sorry
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 9, 2014 at 5:15 AM ]
I feel like Iupati is really nervous about being a FA, his mistakes are mental, he's probably trying 2 be perfect and it's backfiring badly. He's worried about getting hurt, underperforming etc. He might even see the writing on the wall for his future in SF given the teams reluctance to give Boone a long term commitment and all the young on the interior OL.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Right Guards don't pull?

We pull our LG Iupati I believe a lot more than we pull our RG.

True, in the past. But currently, with Looney, he pulls just as much if not more than Iupati right now which is an epic weapon. I noted that of our 5 longest runs, 4 of them were a result of Looney pull blocks and the other was a drive block by Looney with Hyde down to the 1 yard line. So having BOTH guards who can pull is HUGE for us. Defenses can no longer focus in on just one pulling G.
Originally posted by 60sFan:
It might be a good time to have Iupati "work through something" and put Looney at LG and Boone at RG. Looney is a better pull guard than Boone.

This. Looney is an excellent pull G and I'm willing to bet he'd be even better pulling to his right.
It might be a good time to have Iupati "work through something" and put Looney at LG and Boone at RG. Looney is a better pull guard than Boone.

Right Guards don't pull?

In the past with Boone, we rarely did...but now with Looney, we're pulling a ton both ways. That's ideal.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Stupid question, but is this possible or even worth it:

Staley-Boone-Kilgore-Looney-Davis

Considering that Boone is an effective LT, that makes a lot of sense.

I like this as well...plus, Kilgore, Looney and Martin have played a ton together and Kilgore and Looney have played together since they first arrived and it shows (IMHO).
Originally posted by NCommand:

Right Guards don't pull?

In the past with Boone, we rarely did...but now with Looney, we're pulling a ton both ways. That's ideal.

Originally posted by BrianGO:

Considering that Boone is an effective LT, that makes a lot of sense.

I like this as well...plus, Kilgore, Looney and Martin have played a ton together and Kilgore and Looney have played together since they first arrived and it shows (IMHO).

In a perfect world, it would be great to have two G's that are great at pulling. With Boone and Looney, we do not. I still think we keep Boone on right side with Davis. They are both Road Graders and Looney is a far better puller.

Like you, I really like what they're doing together.

I recall Boone filling inn for Staley and I'm sure he could just as easily move to the LG position.

Also, I don't have any stats BUT I think Martin is pass blocking better than Davis.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Like you, I really like what they're doing together.

I recall Boone filling inn for Staley and I'm sure he could just as easily move to the LG position.

Also, I don't have any stats BUT I think Martin is pass blocking better than Davis.

Agree with Martin being a better pass blocker.

I'd be so happy with that line up
I really wanna see Iupati get back to that Pro-Bowl form. It's just been painful watching him this season
I'm hoping he has a great game. We need him today.
Share 49ersWebzone