There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mike Iupati

Originally posted by capone0:
Originally posted by susweel:
salary cap hell here we come
I doubt it. There is a ton of money coming off in the next few years and players can also get restructured.

Think about the players not locked in and I doubt will be back long term:

Whitner
Nnamdi-Unless he's awesome
Dorsey
Justin-Unless it's cheap
Gore-getting old
Boldin-?
Rogers
Manningham
Dawson

And a couple of guys we are unsure about:
Brown-hopefully we keep him
Culliver-will see, but again hopefully

That's a ton of turnover for our team that we can handle keeping onto our core.

thats why we have to win it all this year
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,877
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by JoeCos:
Yes!!! Best OLine in NFL stays intact for few more years.

Not quite intact. New Center needed now or soon
wonder who that will be? lots of people are high on kilgore? maybe the kid we got last year who busted his foot?maybe a mid round draft pick this year? i know alot of folks think we could cut goodwin before the season starts for salary cap relief but i would never want to do this unless i know for sure we have a good replacement for such a valuable position
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,877
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by capone0:
Originally posted by susweel:
salary cap hell here we come
I doubt it. There is a ton of money coming off in the next few years and players can also get restructured.

Think about the players not locked in and I doubt will be back long term:

Whitner
Nnamdi-Unless he's awesome
Dorsey
Justin-Unless it's cheap
Gore-getting old
Boldin-?
Rogers
Manningham
Dawson

And a couple of guys we are unsure about:
Brown-hopefully we keep him
Culliver-will see, but again hopefully

That's a ton of turnover for our team that we can handle keeping onto our core.

thats why we have to win it all this year
the wildcard is not only the guys we drafted last year and never played but this years draft. if we hit paydirt with this years draft there is a very very good chance nk we can be good and have a chance to win for years down the road
Originally posted by cciowa:
wonder who that will be? lots of people are high on kilgore? maybe the kid we got last year who busted his foot?maybe a mid round draft pick this year? i know alot of folks think we could cut goodwin before the season starts for salary cap relief but i would never want to do this unless i know for sure we have a good replacement for such a valuable position

Looney?

I really want to see him and Kilgore playing in the preseasons, on account of I have no idea if either of them could do it! I guess if we pick up a center around rounds 3 or 4 it will kind of demonstrate that the team aren't convinced about either.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,877
Originally posted by English:
Looney?

I really want to see him and Kilgore playing in the preseasons, on account of I have no idea if either of them could do it! I guess if we pick up a center around rounds 3 or 4 it will kind of demonstrate that the team aren't convinced about either.
yes looney. thank you. i just know i was pretty harsh on them for drafting a guy with a busted foot but this regime does a pretty good job of forward thinking. I suppose it is possible that in workouts and pre season one of these guys would rise to the top and convince the team they are the answer and goodwin could indeed be let go?? i am not sure why i am so nervous about that since i am the same guy who has no problem at all in having a rookie start at the safety spot
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by English:
Looney?

I really want to see him and Kilgore playing in the preseasons, on account of I have no idea if either of them could do it! I guess if we pick up a center around rounds 3 or 4 it will kind of demonstrate that the team aren't convinced about either.
yes looney. thank you. i just know i was pretty harsh on them for drafting a guy with a busted foot but this regime does a pretty good job of forward thinking. I suppose it is possible that in workouts and pre season one of these guys would rise to the top and convince the team they are the answer and goodwin could indeed be let go?? i am not sure why i am so nervous about that since i am the same guy who has no problem at all in having a rookie start at the safety spot

No, I agree. Center is not a position to play around with. You need a grizzled vet who knows what he is looking at. Bring back Sapolu!
Originally posted by cciowa:
the wildcard is not only the guys we drafted last year and never played but this years draft. if we hit paydirt with this years draft there is a very very good chance nk we can be good and have a chance to win for years down the road

The thing is no matter what we still have:

CK
V Davis
WIllis
VD
Bowman
Boone
A Davis
Lee
Staley

Core long term.

We need to figure out how to get Iupati, Crab, Aldon, Culliver, Brown tied down a long time but as long as we have CK and our OL we should be relevant. We need to figure out how to deal with the team in the post Justin phase but if we figure that out we should be relevant for a while. We need to draft well as well.
Here's a crazy thought. How about Iupati moving in to Center. Seamless transition. They usually do that -- moving guard to center. Probowler at guard, probowler at center. Draft another guard for backup. Looney and Kilgore fight it out at guard.

Once Goodwin retired of course...
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Apr 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Here's a crazy thought. How about Iupati moving in to Center. Seamless transition. They usually do that -- moving guard to center. Probowler at guard, probowler at center. Draft another guard for backup. Looney and Kilgore fight it out at guard.

Once Goodwin retired of course...

Guard is more critical than center to the run game. Guards are paid more as well and drafted higher.
[ Edited by capone0 on Apr 15, 2013 at 11:34 AM ]
Originally posted by capone0:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Here's a crazy thought. How about Iupati moving in to Center. Seamless transition. They usually do that -- moving guard to center. Probowler at guard, probowler at center. Draft another guard for backup. Looney and Kilgore fight it out at guard.

Once Goodwin retired of course...

Guard is more critical than center to the run game. Guards are paid more as well and drafted higher.

Not sure what the difference in contract would be between guard and center, but I would think a center would be even more important on the line for different reasons. A center calls line protection and do a little more thinking then the other lineman. Jesse Sapolu was a very big athletic guard, then they moved him to center. The move is usually made to lessen the impact of a new center.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Apr 15, 2013 at 11:44 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Not sure what the difference in contract would be between guard and center, but I would think a center would be even more important on the line for different reasons. A center calls line protection and do a little more thinking then the other lineman. Jesse Sapolu was a very big athletic guard, then they moved him to center. The move is usually made to lessen the impact of a new center.

I would think Iupati's physical gifts, especially pulling and running power would be best suited for the guard position.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Not sure what the difference in contract would be between guard and center, but I would think a center would be even more important on the line for different reasons. A center calls line protection and do a little more thinking then the other lineman. Jesse Sapolu was a very big athletic guard, then they moved him to center. The move is usually made to lessen the impact of a new center.

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/cap-hit/center/

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/cap-hit/guard/

Centers are paid less than guards. Guards are more often taken in the first round especially lately although Mangold and Pounceys were taken in the 1st.
One thing that has become clear with this front office is we will pay our elite guys even if they are at the same position as someone who just got paid big money. A lot of people were hesitant to pay Bowman with Willis making that much, a lot of people said we should choose between Iupati and Davis. Seems like just the best players are getting signed big money. Seems like it doesn't matter if you are elite we will find a way to pay you. Now doesn't mean Goldson didn't was elite or near elite but I think with him about to be 29 (4 and 5 years older than Davis/Iupati) that we decided he wasn't right for us at that price. I like the guy a lot but he is closer to being on the downside of his career where Iupati and Davis are getting better and better and are still much younger and a part of the future.

As for price I mentioned this in the Eric Branch Iupati thread:
I'd say he is in the top 5-8 guards in the league but that doesn't mean he will get paid like that. He can make a lot more by going elsewhere in a few years. Re-signing here he would have to take a discount. Probably 5 mil total over 5 years. I'd say 5 years, 35-37 mil is fair. Wouldn't go higher than 38 or so. Nicks got 5 years, 47.5 mil and Levitre got 6 years 46.8 but that's desperate teams overpaying. Others: Grubbs 5 yr 36 mil, Marshall Yanda signed 5 years, 32 mil but hat was a few years ago. If he was playing like he was right now after the 2014 season heading into FA he could probably get 5 years 50-55 million.
So if we're gonna move Mike Iupati to C we're turning him into Jesse Sapolu 2.0
i have the most raging boner for trent baalke right now
...