LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 293 users in the forums

Mike Iupati

• mayo49
  • Veteran
I love Mike, but he still really struggles in pass protection. He's had 4 years to adjust, but still really has trouble. I'd rather they pass on an extension and look to something else at left guard next year.
Still think this dude is or will be our biggest issue in the passing game.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
god you guys are funny, three pre season games and we are ready to throw him under the bus. who do you propose we bring in here to fill his spot? forest blue? he was actually a center but whatever
Originally posted by mayo49:
I love Mike, but he still really struggles in pass protection. He's had 4 years to adjust, but still really has trouble. I'd rather they pass on an extension and look to something else at left guard next year.

I'd rather focusing on resinging Crabby and Boone if he ever comes back. Would rather draft a LG or promote someone next year.
Originally posted by Dajanksta:

I'd rather focusing on resinging Crabby and Boone if he ever comes back. Would rather draft a LG or promote someone next year.
They drafted him this year. Brandon Thomas if healthy next year will be able to take over for Iupati.
  • TyCore
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
god you guys are funny, three pre season games and we are ready to throw him under the bus. who do you propose we bring in here to fill his spot? forest blue? he was actually a center but whatever

For the record, I've been uneasy about Iupati from the start. Many have.

I always thought he was a little too soft looking.

Not saying we have anyone better, just saying the truth is complex. He is slow. He does get beat a lot. We probably can't find a better replacement.

It all fits, really.

its not about a preseason game or two, we've all known for a while he can maul in the run game but struggles in the pass game. after a game like yesterday and knowing his contract is coming up, its something to really talk about. i wouldnt invest heavily into this guy, hes got pro bowls on his resume which jack up his price when i think its not warranted.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

It hasn't only been preseason, he's been a liability all four years he's been here.

It hasn't only been preseason, he's been a liability all four years he's been here.

exactly. if gore came out and fumbled 4 times, you'd brush it off as a bad day at the office. iupati looking bad in the pass game is not a bad day at the office, its a continuation of what we've seen for a while now.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
the whole damn line struggles in pass protection and have for the last three years,, but if mike has been chosen by the mob for elimination so be it

• TyCore
  • Veteran
the whole damn line struggles in pass protection and have for the last three years,, but if mike has been chosen by the mob for elimination so be it

Agreed. Entirely.

It's better that we pick on him here than other teams d-lines pick on him on the field, though.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
Iupati thought he was a matador out there. :/

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Boone's greatest supporter
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by AUniner:
Does anyone think that the field could have played into Iupati's mind today? Coming off dodgy ankles and playing a slippery surface would probably get in my head.

I thought about this but I think that would just be a homer hoping for it to be true.

It's possible that he's had injuries before, preseason(meaningless game), contract year...that maybe he wasn't playing with his mind right. I kind of wonder how many starters go at it half assed when they know they have the job won no matter how bad they play...

But still he got beat BAD. So whatever he needs to do to fix it he better do it or we're in trouble. Pass rush up the gut is the worst kind.

You can try to come up with a reason as to why he's sucked this preseason, but what about his crappy pass protection for the last 4 years? I get that the line as a whole has sucked in pass protection, but Iupati has not had any positive impact there.

I am not saying we should dump him or trade him this year, but I am suggesting we shouldn't extend him with a large contract. He is far from a priority right now, and if we can acquire someone who will be an upgrade in pass protection next offseason, we should go for it.
  • thl408
I know it was "last season", but he broke his fibula in January. Big bones on that big man. We've all seen Iupati whiff on pass blocks, but never 3-4 times in one quarter. How good was that DT he was going against versus SD?
Share 49ersWebzone