There are 276 users in the forums

Mike Iupati

Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
^^^^^^^^ That's what I was saying. Why not take Dez Bryant at #16 in 2010 especially after they just drafted AD at #11 and already had Snyder and Chilo as guards. Could have had Dez,Crabs and VD on the same team WOW!!

There is your answer. Nah everyone is on Bryant's jock but the guy could have easily went the other way with his head.
I'm not worried about Iupati. I remember what he is capable of, namely, not having his name called in a telecast because he did his job. That said, his ankle was bad last year and he doesn't look like himself. To me, he has always been a great hand fighter with elite strength. hasn't ever had the speed to get second level blocks in the run game but has always locked down gaps in the passing game. He has been none of this so far this PS. No way is he even close to 100%
Originally posted by jbeale49:
I'm not worried about Iupati. I remember what he is capable of, namely, not having his name called in a telecast because he did his job. That said, his ankle was bad last year and he doesn't look like himself. To me, he has always been a great hand fighter with elite strength. hasn't ever had the speed to get second level blocks in the run game but has always locked down gaps in the passing game. He has been none of this so far this PS. No way is he even close to 100%

No he hasn't.

He either completely shuts his man down, or lets the pressure straight through. He has always been like that. It's either an "A" or an "F" with him. Never a "C".

turrible
Was shaking my head so bad on that whiff where he didn't even use his f**king arms lol
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by jbeale49:

No he hasn't.

He either completely shuts his man down, or lets the pressure straight through. He has always been like that. It's either an "A" or an "F" with him. Never a "C".

In answering the question of whether or not we'll retain Iuapati, I think it'll all come down to how much money he wants/would accept to stay. The 49ers have prospects waiting in the wings and draft picks in 2015 at their disposal to use to replace him. Iupati is a very good OG, an A+ run blocker but an inconsistent pass protector. We'll see what happens.

In the end, the best idea may be to spend the money on Boone and Crabtree, while drafting some players to compete with our depth, which includes this year's pick, OG Brandon Thomas.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
[ Edited by jimrat on Aug 24, 2014 at 6:43 PM ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
In answering the question of whether or not we'll retain Iuapati, I think it'll all come down to how much money he wants/would accept to stay. The 49ers have prospects waiting in the wings and draft picks in 2015 at their disposal to use to replace him. Iupati is a very good OG, an A+ run blocker but an inconsistent pass protector. We'll see what happens.

In the end, the best idea may be to spend the money on Boone and Crabtree, while drafting some players to compete with our depth, which includes this year's pick, OG Brandon Thomas.

I agree 100%. Iupati is in a contract year and so far he's not playing like it. I really don't wanna give in to Boone, but Iupati keeps this up it'd be better for us to keep him. Guards aren't too difficult to find and Boone is more veesatile and might be the better player.

We'll see but this oline is already annoying. I have a feeling ita gonna be an issue this year.
Originally posted by Ninerz4Life:
True but would it perform better??? Move Looney into Iupati's spot.
doesn't matter if it works better or not. The FO is not going to be paying 3 guys starting tackle money when we have so much talent that needs to be resigned.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
dude has been playing like s**t. very depressing.

I like Iupati, but I always thought he was a bit overrated. Most will cite the run blocking as his forte and let him slide a little bit on the pass pro. But I have watched just about every game he has played, and his run blocking has been "uneven" (to be kind). He allows way too much penetration, especially against the quicker interior linemen. Look at a lot of Gore's negative plays running left on tape and you will see a lot have to do with Iupati allowing penetration due to outright whiffing or being thrown aside when he's off balance and trying to lean into his man. It is not just him, but from what I saw today against Liuget, something is not right. If I was 49ers FO, I would rather pay Boone (who offers added insurance, and may be even better at tackle) than Iupati. I only extend Iupati for the right $. No way I pay him as the top guard.
Originally posted by NJ49er:
I like Iupati, but I always thought he was a bit overrated. Most will cite the run blocking as his forte and let him slide a little bit on the pass pro. But I have watched just about every game he has played, and his run blocking has been "uneven" (to be kind). He allows way too much penetration, especially against the quicker interior linemen. Look at a lot of Gore's negative plays running left on tape and you will see a lot have to do with Iupati allowing penetration due to outright whiffing or being thrown aside when he's off balance and trying to lean into his man. It is not just him, but from what I saw today against Liuget, something is not right. If I was 49ers FO, I would rather pay Boone (who offers added insurance, and may be even better at tackle) than Iupati. I only extend Iupati for the right $. No way I pay him as the top guard.

I tend to agree with this . Very hesitant about giving him big $.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
He has the Mono now...
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by NJ49er:

I tend to agree with this . Very hesitant about giving him big $.

Pretty sure the coaches see it too, hence no offers.
Does anyone think that the field could have played into Iupati's mind today? Coming off dodgy ankles and playing a slippery surface would probably get in my head.
Share 49ersWebzone