There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mike Iupati

Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
4 years LATER im still shocked the 49ers WASTED a 1st round pick on a GUARD??? a Tackle I could see for sure of course but a GUARD and from a pathetic weak team like Idaho in the 1st round! Hated the pick then and hate it even more now

Remember that's when Alex Smith was getting killed and McCluelesshan wanted to give Sing his O lineman to run the powerful and potent Ray Gun offense.
4 years LATER im still shocked the 49ers WASTED a 1st round pick on a GUARD??? a Tackle I could see for sure of course but a GUARD and from a pathetic weak team like Idaho in the 1st round! Hated the pick then and hate it even more now

Guy was a pro-bowler, was he not? He had an awful game, but I don't think it's the end of the world quite yet
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
I asked the same question. Better yet move Boone to LG, Martin can play right guard and we draft another tackle and trade Davis.

Well when Davis looked bad I wasn't going to give up on him since he was so young and raw but if he continued to do badly (which he turned it around) I always thought Boone at RT and Davis at RG was an option and maybe would make the line better. Now that we re-signed Davis to a 40 mil deal it won't happen. I'm more interested in Boone to LG and Iupati to RG at this point which wont happen. Or after this year if Iupati left and Boone was re-signed what if we did Boone to LG and Thomas/Looney at RG. All that being said pretty much no chance we change those guys that many years into their positions. If we would have done that it would have been years ago.

Edit: I don't think Iupati was a waste of the 17th overall pick but he hasn't been the HOF some thought he would be. Even if he leaves after this year I'd still say the pick worked out ok and wasn't a bust. Most of the 1st rounders in history are busts, we could have done a lot worse. That being said I liked Davis but I liked Earl Thomas the most and would have been cool to see him with Goldson at SS.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 24, 2014 at 4:58 PM ]
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
I asked the same question. Better yet move Boone to LG, Martin can play right guard and we draft another tackle and trade Davis.

Fans turn on you pretty quick. Mike Iupati hasn't looked good, but now he's a wasted pick 5 years later? Come on.
I remember years ago I told u guys we should have taken Dez Bryant or Demarryous Thomas but u guys kept saying offensive line is the main unit that decides wins but still think we should have taken one of those studs to pair with Crab.. Some of veterans on here are idiots and think they know everything.
^^^^^^^^ That's what I was saying. Why not take Dez Bryant at #16 in 2010 especially after they just drafted AD at #11 and already had Snyder and Chilo as guards. Could have had Dez,Crabs and VD on the same team WOW!!
^^^^^^^^ That's what I was saying. Why not take Dez Bryant at #16 in 2010 especially after they just drafted AD at #11 and already had Snyder and Chilo as guards. Could have had Dez,Crabs and VD on the same team WOW!!

There is your answer. Nah everyone is on Bryant's jock but the guy could have easily went the other way with his head.
I'm not worried about Iupati. I remember what he is capable of, namely, not having his name called in a telecast because he did his job. That said, his ankle was bad last year and he doesn't look like himself. To me, he has always been a great hand fighter with elite strength. hasn't ever had the speed to get second level blocks in the run game but has always locked down gaps in the passing game. He has been none of this so far this PS. No way is he even close to 100%
Originally posted by jbeale49:
I'm not worried about Iupati. I remember what he is capable of, namely, not having his name called in a telecast because he did his job. That said, his ankle was bad last year and he doesn't look like himself. To me, he has always been a great hand fighter with elite strength. hasn't ever had the speed to get second level blocks in the run game but has always locked down gaps in the passing game. He has been none of this so far this PS. No way is he even close to 100%

No he hasn't.

He either completely shuts his man down, or lets the pressure straight through. He has always been like that. It's either an "A" or an "F" with him. Never a "C".

turrible
Was shaking my head so bad on that whiff where he didn't even use his f**king arms lol
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by jbeale49:

No he hasn't.

He either completely shuts his man down, or lets the pressure straight through. He has always been like that. It's either an "A" or an "F" with him. Never a "C".

In answering the question of whether or not we'll retain Iuapati, I think it'll all come down to how much money he wants/would accept to stay. The 49ers have prospects waiting in the wings and draft picks in 2015 at their disposal to use to replace him. Iupati is a very good OG, an A+ run blocker but an inconsistent pass protector. We'll see what happens.

In the end, the best idea may be to spend the money on Boone and Crabtree, while drafting some players to compete with our depth, which includes this year's pick, OG Brandon Thomas.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
[ Edited by jimrat on Aug 24, 2014 at 6:43 PM ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
In answering the question of whether or not we'll retain Iuapati, I think it'll all come down to how much money he wants/would accept to stay. The 49ers have prospects waiting in the wings and draft picks in 2015 at their disposal to use to replace him. Iupati is a very good OG, an A+ run blocker but an inconsistent pass protector. We'll see what happens.

In the end, the best idea may be to spend the money on Boone and Crabtree, while drafting some players to compete with our depth, which includes this year's pick, OG Brandon Thomas.

I agree 100%. Iupati is in a contract year and so far he's not playing like it. I really don't wanna give in to Boone, but Iupati keeps this up it'd be better for us to keep him. Guards aren't too difficult to find and Boone is more veesatile and might be the better player.

We'll see but this oline is already annoying. I have a feeling ita gonna be an issue this year.