LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

Mike Iupati

• pfizz
How is everyone giving up on the guy so easy? He played hurt all year! Just last season he was one of the top guards in the league and now he's done? Come on.
Originally posted by Furlow:
I think he played his last game as a Niner. I love the guy, but he's more easily replaceable than the other guys who need to be signed.

I did not think think he was a FA, thought it was next year?
He'll be back. He played hurt all season long, wtf you guys expected from an injured player being hurt and still toughen up and played.
I bet none of you would be playing if you was in his situation.
[ Edited by 808niner4lyphe on Jan 20, 2014 at 10:51 PM ]
simply amazing
He really needs to improve his pass blocking...
Bumping this up because I wanted to put some quotes in here and comment on them.

"I'm just playing football," Iupati said after one of the 49ers' joint practices with the Baltimore Ravens this week. "I just want to win that trophy. At the end, there's just one goal, to win.

On if he wants to stay with the 49ers:
Oh, yeah, no doubt, but I can't control that. I can only control what I can control. "We're heading in the right direction. We got a lot of stuff to work on and move on from there."

I think that's a dumb statement because it's obvious the 49ers want him back he needs to tell his greedy agent to get it done or you're fired. That's the problem he is letting his agent handle it because he is to shy to speak up most likely/ His agent is probably telling him he's a 5 year 50 million dollar player when he's a 5 year 30-35 (40 max) million dollar player. He had a few good seasons but he's about as good as he was as a rookie. His pass blocking still suffers. He makes less mistakes and gets less penalties but they still are there. He's not the hall of famer that we wanted him to be. I think too many players stay out of it and let the agents do it all and they sometimes hurt their client because they are too greedy even if the player just wants it done and will settle for less.

Side note if I'm Boone I'm running to get signed before Iupati because if they sign Crabtree and Iupati he's as good as gone and will sit until someone gives us a good trade offer which could be awhile. He needs to take a team friendly deal and move on. Something like 5 years 25 million... add a few mil to his salary the next few years and some bonus up front and then 3 years x 5-6 mil per. With Crabtree on deck, Iupati in the works and Culliver probably getting extended once his legal issues clear up Boone is digging himself into a bigger hole.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 20, 2014 at 2:08 PM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Bumping this up because I wanted to put some quotes in here and comment on them.

"I'm just playing football," Iupati said after one of the 49ers' joint practices with the Baltimore Ravens this week. "I just want to win that trophy. At the end, there's just one goal, to win.

Oh, yeah, no doubt, but I can't control that. I can only control what I can control. "We're heading in the right direction. We got a lot of stuff to work on and move on from there."

I think that's a dumb statement because it's obvious the 49ers want him back he needs to tell his greedy agent to get it done or you're fired. That's the problem he is letting his agent handle it because he is to shy to speak up most likely/ His agent is probably telling him he's a 5 year 50 million dollar player when he's a 5 year 30-35 (40 max) million dollar player. He had a few good seasons but he's about as good as he was as a rookie. His pass blocking still suffers. He makes less mistakes and gets less penalties but they still are there. He's not the hall of famer that we wanted him to be. I think too many players stay out of it and let the agents do it all and they sometimes hurt their client because they are too greedy even if the player just wants it done and will settle for less.

Side note if I'm Boone I'm running to get signed before Iupati because if they sign Crabtree and Iupati he's as good as gone and will sit until someone gives us a good trade offer which could be awhile. He needs to take a team friendly deal and move on. Something like 5 years 25 million... add a few mil to his salary the next few years and some bonus up front and then 3 years x 5-6 mil per. With Crabtree on deck, Iupati in the works and Culliver probably getting extended once his legal issues clear up Boone is digging himself into a bigger hole.
Boone is gone if we resign Crabs. I can see Culliver walking and Iupati needs to take a deal smaller than Staley and Davis or it won't work out. Lets see if what he's saying is a big dream or reality.

I don't really think it's dumb. It's a little more complex than a player's actual worth because there's actual market worth, artificial market worth, career risk/longevity, etc. I agree, he is NOT a 10M/year player and might be a max 8M/year player, but a smart player and agent will recognize that any significant amount over 8M/year offered by any other team is a great offer to have. It doesn't matter if he is playing at HOF level or not or even if he improves or not. All that matters is that whether or not he consistently plays better than a 8M/year guard. Also, as an OL player, he's not likely to get endorsement money during and after his career in the same way Kaep/VD can to offset any perceived money his contract "should have got". And unlike Boone, Iupati is in a situation where he will be able to test FA soon. He does have a bit of situation-al luxury to ask for more than his actual worth.

There could be pragmatic reasons for wanting more money in situations like this, and you could be right that his agent is greedy as hell. But I don't think the approach is dumb either way.
sorry, double post.
[ Edited by cypherninja on Aug 20, 2014 at 5:05 PM ]
Originally posted by jcs:
Boone is gone if we resign Crabs.

I just don't see this.

My God, the first thing I read was, "Iupati has broken fibula, won't effect next season."
Originally posted by BrianGO:
My God, the first thing I read was, "Iupati has broken fibula, won't effect next season."

That's what I read too... I was like ...
Who's his agent?
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Sorry to bump it but it was the only Iupati thread out there. I for sure thought there would be one with him working on an extension but it was all Iupati/Crabtree type stuff.

Side note I think it's more like Boone is gone if we re-sign Iupati. Crabtree re-signing I think would still give Boone time and if Boone took a team friendly deal then it puts Iupati on the hot spot. I think we still extend Crabtree and Culliver some time this calendar year. I can't find the name of his agent. I would think someone who was born and raised in American Samoa up until high school would take what he can get because he can do a lot of good for his family back there and his family in the states. Plus staying in SF keeps him close to his family, he lives in the area plus keep him the closest to his distant family in American Samoa that he can get in the NFL (minus SD).
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 20, 2014 at 10:20 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Sorry to bump it but it was the only Iupati thread out there. I for sure thought there would be one with him working on an extension but it was all Iupati/Crabtree type stuff.

Side note I think it's more like Boone is gone if we re-sign Iupati. Crabtree re-signing I think would still give Boone time and if Boone took a team friendly deal then it puts Iupati on the hot spot. I think we still extend Crabtree and Culliver some time this calendar year. I can't find the name of his agent. I would think someone who was born and raised in American Samoa up until high school would take what he can get because he can do a lot of good for his family back there and his family in the states. Plus staying in SF keeps him close to his family, he lives in the area plus keep him the closest to his distant family in American Samoa that he can get in the NFL (minus SD).

Bruce and Ryan Tollner are Iupati's agents. They have 49ers roots, they are based in CA, and believe related to Ted Tollner.

Neil Schwartz and Jonathan Feinsod are Boone's agents, notorious for holdouts.

Eugene Parker is Crabs agent.
Share 49ersWebzone