There are 157 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mike Iupati

Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by QBguru:
Originally posted by susweel:
this fool needs to do a better job pass blocking.

personally I would not extend his contract

Can we see your face Sus? I read your posts all the time and your personality puts an image of a Guy who looks like Greg Roman/Peter Griffin. Lol

go look in the parking lot picture thread. and btw you are way off

lol, these fools laughing and making fun of Sus haven't seen the Sus guns. Watch them come back all nice n's**t.

BTW, I agree with you Sus. There was far more of a difference in our offense with Crab gone this year than with Snyder filling in for Iupati. I think he's a tad overrated and also slowed by a neck/shoulder injury. That being said, I'd rather extend Crab since he makes our offense so much better and draft a G early to take over for Iupati when his big payday comes up.

Iupati needs to lose about 20-30 pounds and focus more on technique. With him and Goodwin, our middle has been inconsistent.

Better answer may be to switch Iupati to the strong side and move Boone to protect Kap's almost back side. Either that or move Boone to the left and draft a RG.

Looney may be ready by next season. At this point, Crabs is more important than Iupati.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jan 9, 2014 at 12:11 PM ]
He's made the pro bowl once already , and his skills cant diminish within a span of a couple of years , he is still young and has an upside , obviously this year hasnt been his best since being drafted by us, but factor in injuries and lack of practice time, that can have a lot to do with his subpar season , but I dont think giving up on him should be an option , but giving him a fat contract after this season doesnt make sense either
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
He's made the pro bowl once already , and his skills cant diminish within a span of a couple of years , he is still young and has an upside , obviously this year hasnt been his best since being drafted by us, but factor in injuries and lack of practice time, that can have a lot to do with his subpar season , but I dont think giving up on him should be an option , but giving him a fat contract after this season doesnt make sense either

He mainly made the probowl due to his run-blocking. Our team has a dynamic passer who is very deadly when given a little time. Either way, he will need to improve his pass protection.

Aren't the Guard positions the easiest to replace?
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

He mainly made the probowl due to his run-blocking. Our team has a dynamic passer who is very deadly when given a little time. Either way, he will need to improve his pass protection.

Aren't the Guard positions the easiest to replace?

Antiquated thinking.
He seems to be failing as a pulling guard, and if he can not regain his "speed" to the outside, he may have to go. As the team finds itself close to the cap, and looking to sign players, he fall victim to the numbers game. Don't get me wrong he is a great pass protector, and fantastic inline blocker, just right for a pocket passing team, with a power back like Frank Gore, but for a team with a mobile QB, and runners that can threaten the edge, he, despite his skills, may be a bad fit.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
He seems to be failing as a pulling guard, and if he can not regain his "speed" to the outside, he may have to go. As the team finds itself close to the cap, and looking to sign players, he fall victim to the numbers game. Don't get me wrong he is a great pass protector, and fantastic inline blocker, just right for a pocket passing team, with a power back like Frank Gore, but for a team with a mobile QB, and runners that can threaten the edge, he, despite his skills, may be a bad fit.

He is an inconsistent pass protector. He can shut down his man completely, or get beat right off the snap.
One of the more overrated players in the NFL
Originally posted by BrianGO:
He is an inconsistent pass protector. He can shut down his man completely, or get beat right off the snap.

He does have some bad games against quicker opponents. Part of his speed issue he has developed as of late.
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Jan 10, 2014 at 6:47 AM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Iupati has been bad this year. He's just not very consistent.

Crabtree has injury issues, but he gets better every year and is very consistent.

He hasn't been bad. He's had some injury problems. That's not the same thing. He's an absolute beast and arguably the best G in the league when healthy. You don't give that up easily. He's responsible for us being able to run up the middle so effectively. That's a big part of our game.

You are 100% correct. And the run game did suffer with him being out. It also would be cheaper to pay an elite guard than it would be to pay an elite receiver. But after how we looked without Crabtree, right now Crabs > Iupati.

We look that way without Crabtree because Kaep is a 1 read QB. If he would learn to develop his reads and progressions that would not be the case.
Didn't he got injured earlier in the year. He might not be 100% over that.
Every player on our team needs to improve. Nobody is playing at "elite" level.

That said, high quality Guards aren't the easiest the easiest to find. Does the name Snyder mean anything?

Looney at G and Kilgore at C are still question marks and there isn't any guarantee that a rookie will come in and light it up.

We have the right coaches, and I think Iupati will stay a Niner.

I agree he MUST get better at pass protection.
Bold prediction: Iupati WILL NOT give up any pressure or sacks this game. He WILL dominate and manhandle his man in both running and pass protection.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Bold prediction: Iupati WILL NOT give up any pressure or sacks this game. He WILL dominate and manhandle his man in both running and pass protection.

If he does that, I am almost certain we win this game.

However, look at what he has done against top competition this year; his performance has been exactly the opposite of that.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We look that way without Crabtree because Kaep is a 1 read QB. If he would learn to develop his reads and progressions that would not be the case.

Don't you get tired of repeating that? Especially when it keeps getting more and more absurd?
i like the guy...i don't LOVE him. The O line will have their hands full......esp if Carolina decides to blitz...