There are 167 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mike Iupati

WR>G as far as importance but WR>G as far as expenses. It's going to cost way more to resign crabs than Iupati. We may resign Iupati to a 6 mil per year where it may take crabs 10 mil + for him to stay. Quite a dilemma.
The fact is we have four stars to sign. Aldon, Kap, Crabtree and Iupati. Two are superstars and two are probowlers. It's simple we can't sign all four. It is impossible (look at the Steelers). Kap will sign first because he has no leverage for the next two years. Better to take 12 million a year than to risk injury or poor play. Crabtree is all about the money always has been. He simply won't take less money. He has to be traded to get value back. Iupati is a probowl player and linemen get paid. We can find players at any place in the draft for him. The Lions have replaced 2/5 fths of their line with a free agent and low draft choice. We can't pull a Terry Donahue and let players exit without compensation (Owens and Peterson). This still leaves Aldon and his BS to sign. Simple they have to be traded. What else to do?
Originally posted by 9erred:
Obviously you or I do not work in Santa Clara, and will not negotiate contracts. That being said I am predicting CK7's next contract averages 15-18 million a year. He is the starting qb, and that appears to be the going rate with elite qb's topping 20 million a year. Just my prediction. Any amount signed lower would be ideal.

Wouldnt quite put him in the elite category yet. He still has to earn that title.
What a phenomenal physical specimen.
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Obviously you or I do not work in Santa Clara, and will not negotiate contracts. That being said I am predicting CK7's next contract averages 15-18 million a year. He is the starting qb, and that appears to be the going rate with elite qb's topping 20 million a year. Just my prediction. Any amount signed lower would be ideal.

Wouldnt quite put him in the elite category yet. He still has to earn that title.

agreed.
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
I think Iupati has been suffering from injuries all year. That shoulder seemed to limit him quite a bit. The guys a beast. He can be downright dominant and i think signing him is hella more prudent than Crabs. Were a running team. as long as Harbs is in town thats what well be. With Gore retiring we need a badass Oline till maybe Lattimore can get up to Gore's level. A possession WR would be easier to draft id think specially with the abundance of draft picks.

Despite his down year i still think Iupati over Crabs. keep our young dominant Oline together for 10+ years i say.

How helpful was Iupati when Crab was out?

Lets keep our #1 WR bexause clearly those are more important. Unless you liked the WR situation at the beginning of the year. Iupati is expendable. Crabtree return has markwd thw resurgence of thw offense. Iupati absense has basically been a seamless transiation. Resign Boone in a couple of years and let Iupati walk.

This is pretty much my feeling as well. It's much easier to find an decent guard than it is to find a WR like crabs. I like iupati a lot, I also love the idea of a dominant offensive line but if push comes to shove I wouldn't want to resign Iupati at the expense of crabs.

There is also the option of drafting a guard (or center) high to groom as a replacement for Iupati. I seem to recall the Saints letting Carl Nicks walk and they are still rolling on offense. There has been a little bit of a drop off in terms of our running game since Iupati went out, but I don't expect us to stay down for long. The drop off in running is not as bad as how far our passing game fell off without Crabtree. Michael Crabtree's mere presence has allowed Vernon Davis and Anquan Boldin to shine even more. When he's at 100%, look out. The only thing in our favor is that there are many talented receivers coming out, so we can address the position 2 or 3 times in the draft. If we don't sign Iupati this offseason, I think we just get Boldin signed for 2 or 3 more seasons, draft a few receivers, and see what things look like in 2014. If Crabtree puts up another dominant season, he stays. If he does not, we go with Boldin and our group of younger receivers.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
There is also the option of drafting a guard (or center) high to groom as a replacement for Iupati. I seem to recall the Saints letting Carl Nicks walk and they are still rolling on offense. There has been a little bit of a drop off in terms of our running game since Iupati went out, but I don't expect us to stay down for long. The drop off in running is not as bad as how far our passing game fell off without Crabtree. Michael Crabtree's mere presence has allowed Vernon Davis and Anquan Boldin to shine even more. When he's at 100%, look out. The only thing in our favor is that there are many talented receivers coming out, so we can address the position 2 or 3 times in the draft. If we don't sign Iupati this offseason, I think we just get Boldin signed for 2 or 3 more seasons, draft a few receivers, and see what things look like in 2014. If Crabtree puts up another dominant season, he stays. If he does not, we go with Boldin and our group of younger receivers.
I agree with the notion that the 9ers should draft a wide receiver and guard in their first couple of picks, but about Crabtree I'm with those who think he will almost surely want more money than Baalke will want to offer. (I would love to have that hunch be wrong, though, for sure.) Hopefully they can get Boldin to stay and he has a couple to few more good years (he strikes me as being a kind of player who could keep playing at a high level into "old" age like Tony Gonzalez).

I wonder if they may be able to keep Iupati for less money than we might think because of his injury and level of play this year that wasn't up to what he did last year.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Dec 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM ]
I think Iupati getting back for a possible rematch with Seattle in Seattle could be a big deal. Seattle's defense doesn't have any glaring weaknesses, but their run defense is the "least strong" part of the defense. Establishing the run could play a huge role in getting an admittedly very difficult win there. Iupati could be crucial to making that happen.
Originally posted by 49erphan:
I think Iupati getting back for a possible rematch with Seattle in Seattle could be a big deal. Seattle's defense doesn't have any glaring weaknesses, but their run defense is the "least strong" part of the defense. Establishing the run could play a huge role in getting an admittedly very difficult win there. Iupati could be crucial to making that happen.

any team that plays like seattle wouldn't have any glaring weaknesses. They cheat on every play.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by 49erphan:

any team that plays like seattle wouldn't have any glaring weaknesses. They cheat on every play.

And look shocked when they get called for holding. Sherman should move to LA
Does anyone have the feeling that the Niners are Crabtree's favorite team? I just have always had the feeling he has another team in mind. I also believe that subtle tampering happens all the time and that agents and players know who really wants them and how they would play and be paid in another system. It would not be surprising that some other team and Crabtree already know their future together.
Iupati is a beast. He's been healthy every year but this year. He would tend a hometown discount to resign with us. Crabs will pull a Goldson and go to a place with the most money and the most targets. I remember his stupid hold out in his rookie year. Round two.
Originally posted by carlgo:
Does anyone have the feeling that the Niners are Crabtree's favorite team? I just have always had the feeling he has another team in mind. I also believe that subtle tampering happens all the time and that agents and players know who really wants them and how they would play and be paid in another system. It would not be surprising that some other team and Crabtree already know their future together.

We all have thought that since year one with him. It didn't start well and we figured since day one he'd be gone as soon as that rookie deal is up. I just hope we can get a Super Bowl or two before that time comes.
Let Uipati walk, resign crabs and Aldon and Kap and if any of them get stooped with their demands, dumpem and dumpem fast.
Originally posted by okdkid:
What a phenomenal physical specimen.

Bill Walton is that you?