LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Mike Iupati

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Pass protection is always going to be a concern with running teams like the 49ers. When defenses have to put so many guys on or near the line of scrimmage you're going to have breakdowns in protection. There is no way around it. You never know who's coming and who's not. Teams with passing attacks like Denver, New Orleans, etc get the benefit of never having to play against loaded fronts. You take the 49ers 5 starting offensive lineman and put them in New Orleans and I promise you they'll dominate even in pass protection. Way too many critics around here that have no idea what they're looking at. People see pressure and automatically assume its because the lineman suck. Our skill position players at WR' demand almost zero respect from defenses and this is why they see so many guys crammed in the box on regular basis. That and Frank Gore is a beast.

Whilst there may be some small element of truth in what you say I dido not believe Boldin, Crabtree and Davis command almost zero respect from D's.

With Crabs getting better every week things will start to open up, passing and running.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
is it just me or has the line been playing better in his absence?

i can say its not popping off the screen as worse. which begs the question, is the guy worth the near 50 mil he'll command. levitre a lesser guard than him got 48 mil from the titans to leave the bills.

I think we will offer him a fair deal, but I dont see Baalke and Harbaugh paying through the teeth to re-sign him, not when we have all these draft picks at our disposal

i wouldnt sign him for that price, but also he knows thats his price on the open market. if he wants to take less, thats cool, i just think not many guys do that these days, nor would i personally.

I agree with your take but also think it is pathetic that so many players judge their worth on how many more millions they can get. No one will ever feel the difference between $35 and $50MILLION, however, the joy of playing on a great team will last a lifetime. You can't buy a Super Bowl ring with your name on it.

I wonder if Dashon Goldson is enjoying the extra millions he got from TB?

well this is the one sport where the money is not guaranteed. for that reason i'd argue that there is a difference between 35 and 50 mil

It is all about the guarantee. If a guy can't set his family up with $15MILLION he needs a new agent/financial counselor. Shaq once said "you should just put all your money in T-bills. They only earn 3% but you can't lose." So go figure the earnings and if you can't live very well on that you need to quit doing drugs.

as fans we have invested interest and would like the guys to take less to stay on a winner. doesnt happen very often though. its easy for us to say take 10-20 mil less to stay here, what you're getting is more than enough. its not so much about whether you can live off of 15 or 20 mil, its whether its the right choice to turn down an additional 10 or 20 mil. i cant hate on those who take the money, i would too, theres no guarantee in this league, both with your teams record year to year, or your career longevity.
Steve Hutchinson and Carl Nicks left as guards with big FA deals, they did not play that great on their second team. I love Iupati, but i predicted a long time ago that he would be the odd man out for big contracts.

1. Aldon Smith- he will get his pay day with 9ers, now probably in 2015.
2. CK7- I think the mediocre 2013 will give the Niners leverage to get a 5 year deal out of CK7 this off season. It will be below elite level but he will make in the 15-18 range.
3. Michael Crabtree- sigh, I do not know about him because of injury, but he is a true #1 WR, he will be shown the money.
4. Iupati- I think they let him walk and sign Boone to an extension. Just my belief.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Steve Hutchinson and Carl Nicks left as guards with big FA deals, they did not play that great on their second team. I love Iupati, but i predicted a long time ago that he would be the odd man out for big contracts.

2. CK7- I think the mediocre 2013 will give the Niners leverage to get a 5 year deal out of CK7 this off season. It will be below elite level but he will make in the 15-18 range.
3. Michael Crabtree- sigh, I do not know about him because of injury, but he is a true #1 WR, he will be shown the money.
4. Iupati- I think they let him walk and sign Boone to an extension. Just my belief.

The thing is...as great as he is, OG's can be had in the draft. We are clearly hurting along the line without Big Mike in the lineup, but that's more of an indictment on the drop off to Snyder. If we hadnt pushed Kilgore to center and taken away practice reps in the position as a result, I think there is a big chance he goes in instead and we see a lot less drop off with him stepping up to the plate. Elite pass rushers, WR's, QB's all come loaded with risk...they are very hit and miss draft positions that are hard to replace. OG's in rounds one through three just seem pan out a lot more often and a lot of times if you get a guy with good character and measurables he can be taught the proper techniques in fairly short order.

i pretty much agree with all of this but i think theyll keep crabs. aldon being a dumbass will cause them to extend him in his final year, giving us another year with flexibility in the cap.
@MaioccoCSN Mike Iupati is back on 49ers practice field.

https://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN/status/410863823923335169

That's a tad too high for me.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Getting healthy at the right time!
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Pass protection is always going to be a concern with running teams like the 49ers. When defenses have to put so many guys on or near the line of scrimmage you're going to have breakdowns in protection. There is no way around it. You never know who's coming and who's not. Teams with passing attacks like Denver, New Orleans, etc get the benefit of never having to play against loaded fronts. You take the 49ers 5 starting offensive lineman and put them in New Orleans and I promise you they'll dominate even in pass protection. Way too many critics around here that have no idea what they're looking at. People see pressure and automatically assume its because the lineman suck. Our skill position players at WR' demand almost zero respect from defenses and this is why they see so many guys crammed in the box on regular basis. That and Frank Gore is a beast.

Whilst there may be some small element of truth in what you say I dido not believe Boldin, Crabtree and Davis command almost zero respect from D's.

Lot of truth to his words while MC and MM have been out. Boldin and Davis got some respect but Gore got the bulk of Def Coordinators attention.
Now...as MC gets back up to speed (and maybe MM)...we may see pass protection get better simply because teams have fewer bodies up front.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

stomping DLineman and linebackers very soon!!!

Originally posted by jreff22:

No freaking way I'm paying Kap anything close to that.

Crabs can walk. He's a solid starter but not a top 10 wr by any means.

I agree Boone is way more valuable than iupati.
Originally posted by bigwads:
Originally posted by jreff22:

No freaking way I'm paying Kap anything close to that.

Crabs can walk. He's a solid starter but not a top 10 wr by any means.

I agree Boone is way more valuable than iupati.

Obviously you or I do not work in Santa Clara, and will not negotiate contracts. That being said I am predicting CK7's next contract averages 15-18 million a year. He is the starting qb, and that appears to be the going rate with elite qb's topping 20 million a year. Just my prediction. Any amount signed lower would be ideal.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
That's almost as much as Rodgers is making after winning an MVP and a super bowl. Kaep will be closer to $12-$14mil assuming he continues to develop.
I couldnt believe this quote from profootballfocus

"Adam Snyder stepped in for the injured Mike Iupati in the Saints game. He has given the Niners a nice push in the run game, while struggling a bit in the passing game. This is pretty similar to Iupati's production pre-injury. His +4.5 run blocking grade is already approaching the +5.5 grade that Iupati posted and the pass blocking for Snyder and Iupati is about identical. Now granted, this isn't the dominant run blocking Iupati from 2012, but Snyder has been a solid replacement thus far."

As bad as Snyder?? dude looks like hes on skates out on the field. but Iupati just as bad? blew me away
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
I couldnt believe this quote from profootballfocus

"Adam Snyder stepped in for the injured Mike Iupati in the Saints game. He has given the Niners a nice push in the run game, while struggling a bit in the passing game. This is pretty similar to Iupati's production pre-injury. His +4.5 run blocking grade is already approaching the +5.5 grade that Iupati posted and the pass blocking for Snyder and Iupati is about identical. Now granted, this isn't the dominant run blocking Iupati from 2012, but Snyder has been a solid replacement thus far."

As bad as Snyder?? dude looks like hes on skates out on the field. but Iupati just as bad? blew me away

I read that and had the same thought! He won't be getting big money.
Share 49ersWebzone