LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

Mike Iupati

Ant news on him playing against Seattle?
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
is it just me or has the line been playing better in his absence?
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

i can say its not popping off the screen as worse. which begs the question, is the guy worth the near 50 mil he'll command. levitre a lesser guard than him got 48 mil from the titans to leave the bills.
Pass blocking seems better.. I paid for the PFF, I should go look there.
Originally posted by crabman82:

i can say its not popping off the screen as worse. which begs the question, is the guy worth the near 50 mil he'll command. levitre a lesser guard than him got 48 mil from the titans to leave the bills.

I think we will offer him a fair deal, but I dont see Baalke and Harbaugh paying through the teeth to re-sign him, not when we have all these draft picks at our disposal
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

I think we will offer him a fair deal, but I dont see Baalke and Harbaugh paying through the teeth to re-sign him, not when we have all these draft picks at our disposal

i wouldnt sign him for that price, but also he knows thats his price on the open market. if he wants to take less, thats cool, i just think not many guys do that these days, nor would i personally.
  • dj43

i wouldnt sign him for that price, but also he knows thats his price on the open market. if he wants to take less, thats cool, i just think not many guys do that these days, nor would i personally.

I agree with your take but also think it is pathetic that so many players judge their worth on how many more millions they can get. No one will ever feel the difference between $35 and $50MILLION, however, the joy of playing on a great team will last a lifetime. You can't buy a Super Bowl ring with your name on it.

I wonder if Dashon Goldson is enjoying the extra millions he got from TB?
Originally posted by dj43:
I agree with your take but also think it is pathetic that so many players judge their worth on how many more millions they can get. No one will ever feel the difference between $35 and $50MILLION, however, the joy of playing on a great team will last a lifetime. You can't buy a Super Bowl ring with your name on it.

You also can't project how things will go... TB was seen as a dark horse to make the playoffs before the season. If I were in his shoes I'd do the same... Setting your family up for years to come. Plus Goldson probably loses 300k a year to fines... the taxes are better in Florida too
  • Disp
  • Veteran
The line does feel better in pass protection recently, which is weird because Snyder has been playing pretty bad the past few weeks. I think it's just that Boone/Davis/Staley/Goodwin stepped up their game. The pocket against Seattle was amazing for most of the game.

well this is the one sport where the money is not guaranteed. for that reason i'd argue that there is a difference between 35 and 50 mil

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Disp:
The line does feel better in pass protection recently, which is weird because Snyder has been playing pretty bad the past few weeks. I think it's just that Boone/Davis/Staley/Goodwin stepped up their game. The pocket against Seattle was amazing for most of the game.

i simply do not see us doing better in pass protection lately , recently or going back to two years ago when we had a different quarterback. i just have not seen it and it continues to be a weakness in my opinion

Well, the running game has gone west. So perhaps it is just you.
Pass protection is always going to be a concern with running teams like the 49ers. When defenses have to put so many guys on or near the line of scrimmage you're going to have breakdowns in protection. There is no way around it. You never know who's coming and who's not. Teams with passing attacks like Denver, New Orleans, etc get the benefit of never having to play against loaded fronts. You take the 49ers 5 starting offensive lineman and put them in New Orleans and I promise you they'll dominate even in pass protection. Way too many critics around here that have no idea what they're looking at. People see pressure and automatically assume its because the lineman suck. Our skill position players at WR' demand almost zero respect from defenses and this is why they see so many guys crammed in the box on regular basis. That and Frank Gore is a beast.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Pass protection is always going to be a concern with running teams like the 49ers. When defenses have to put so many guys on or near the line of scrimmage you're going to have breakdowns in protection. There is no way around it. You never know who's coming and who's not. Teams with passing attacks like Denver, New Orleans, etc get the benefit of never having to play against loaded fronts. You take the 49ers 5 starting offensive lineman and put them in New Orleans and I promise you they'll dominate even in pass protection. Way too many critics around here that have no idea what they're looking at. People see pressure and automatically assume its because the lineman suck. Our skill position players at WR' demand almost zero respect from defenses and this is why they see so many guys crammed in the box on regular basis. That and Frank Gore is a beast.

Whilst there may be some small element of truth in what you say I dido not believe Boldin, Crabtree and Davis command almost zero respect from D's.
  • dj43

well this is the one sport where the money is not guaranteed. for that reason i'd argue that there is a difference between 35 and 50 mil

It is all about the guarantee. If a guy can't set his family up with $15MILLION he needs a new agent/financial counselor. Shaq once said "you should just put all your money in T-bills. They only earn 3% but you can't lose." So go figure the earnings and if you can't live very well on that you need to quit doing drugs.
Share 49ersWebzone