LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 153 users in the forums

Mike Iupati

Originally posted by 9moon:
I think he's playing soft this year.. he's not the usual player that he suppose to be..

could it be that he's trying to be healthy so that he can command the top dollar next year's Free Agency, or simply thinking that he could be the biggest catch in the pond next year??

Remember, the guy didn't wanna re-do his contract w/ the team.. already getting a bad advise from his agent..

Where do you get this from? Link?
He had shoulder surgery while at Idaho in 2008 which held him out of the first two games of the season. Maybe tweaked the old injury?

When i saw he had shoulder surgery again in the off season it worried me slightly that maybe and likely it was the same shoulder.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000167677/article/niners-mike-iupati-reportedly-had-shoulder-surgery
Wonder if Iupati's recent underwhelming play due to injury, makes his next contract a little more appetizing to the FO?
Nobody pays top dollar for free agent guards.

Tackes? Yes. Left tackles are a commodity in this league. Staley commands a nice contract. But while Iupati is VERY good, don't ever think he can't be replaced. Because, he can be.
Dude isn't that good. He's gonna want like 50 mil... fuq that.
Any update in his injury?
I think he has gotten hurt like 5 times this season and he's really banged up and probably not healed yet. Maybe it is still that shoulder from this offseason he had surgery on. I'd wait until into next year to sign him to see if he is back to his 2010-2012 self. Right now no way I give him 40 mil even. Guy loves it here, he's from humble beginnings needs to get his agent out of the way and be happy with 5 years 30-35. Anyways, his agent sees the other guys and probably says we can get 50. So I'd wait until next season but at this point I'd rather give Crabtree 45-50 mil than Iupati 40 mil but I'd wait on both and work on it half way into next season.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 17, 2013 at 5:33 PM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I think he has gotten hurt like 5 times this season and he's really banged up and probably not healed yet. Maybe it is still that shoulder from this offseason he had surgery on. I'd wait until into next year to sign him to see if he is back to his 2010-2012 self. Right now no way I give him 40 mil even. Guy loves it here, he's from humble beginnings needs to get his agent out of the way and be happy with 5 years 30-35. Anyways, his agent sees the other guys and probably says we can get 50. So I'd wait until next season but at this point I'd rather give Crabtree 45-50 mil than Iupati 40 mil but I'd wait on both and work on it half way into next season.

He definitely hasn't been healthy this season. Iupati's a tough SOB though. He'll play through pain for the team.
[ Edited by Hopper on Nov 17, 2013 at 5:41 PM ]
Get better big guy.
Originally posted by AMBITION:
Get better big guy.

This

Ugh, sprained MCL. Wouldn't be surprised if he's out until the Falcons game.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Nov 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM ]
since its a day of negativity i just want to add i would not part with the 50 mil its going to take to sign him.
He has been our most OVERRATED lineman since he was drafted.
Let this man heal up....he has been playing hurt for almost a month now
Originally posted by crabman82:
since its a day of negativity i just want to add i would not part with the 50 mil its going to take to sign him.

I'm gonna have to agree with that... I realize how good he is and it has nothing to do with how he's preformed this year, but rather how important Crabs is to this offense and how it's much easier to replace an OG than it is a QB, No. 1 WR or OLB. Just because of that, Iupati is the odd man out. Hopefully we can re-sign all four though, but I don't see how.
Share 49ersWebzone