LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 303 users in the forums

Mike Iupati

Originally posted by SportsFan:
According to PFF?

Yes. But if you have a point of contention on that, you can contact them and let them know which plays they should review where you thought he was doing an excellent job. (serious).

So far this season I've seen him getting blown off the line and beaten in pass protection more than I can recall at anytime in the past, so an injury would certainly make sense as a cause of that.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 14, 2013 at 7:19 PM ]
He has a shoulder injury worse than they let on. But he is still pretty good IMO. He's the best when healthy.
To be fair, where PFF did really grade him highly was in short yardage situations where he opened up some nice holes. His struggles were most noticeable on 3rd and long situations.
After he cut his hair, its like he lost some balance.
Originally posted by 5times:
After he cut his hair, its like he lost some balance.

The dreaded Samson effect. Next contract should stipulate that he's never allowed to cut his hair again.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 14, 2013 at 7:28 PM ]
agree Iupati has struggled a bit due to injury, it's funny that with Goodwin and Iupati struggling and Boone having a couple subpar games this year we STILL have the Best OL in the NFL.
Totally agree with you Phoenix. Iupati has not looked very good this season. Very strange since he's playing for a contract. Other guys that are in the final year of their contracts are ballin (Donte Whitner, Terrel Brown, Termaine Brock). To me, it is not looking like Iupati deserves big money.

In the long run, this may be good for us. The fact that Iupati is playing like an average OG (at best), Crabtree is on PUP, and Aldon Smith is in rehab may make it possible to lock up Crabtree AND Iupati this offseason, while waiting a year on Aldon. Both Crabs and Iupati are failing to put up game film this year to show other teams that they are worth top dollar.
Originally posted by matt49er:
agree Iupati has struggled a bit due to injury, it's funny that with Goodwin and Iupati struggling and Boone having a couple subpar games this year we STILL have the Best OL in the NFL.

I think that's a carry-over from last year's buzz. They've got plenty of room to improve this year.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Totally agree with you Phoenix. Iupati has not looked very good this season. Very strange since he's playing for a contract. Other guys that are in the final year of their contracts are ballin (Donte Whitner, Terrel Brown, Termaine Brock). To me, it is not looking like Iupati deserves big money.

In the long run, this may be good for us. The fact that Iupati is playing like an average OG (at best), Crabtree is on PUP, and Aldon Smith is in rehab may make it possible to lock up Crabtree AND Iupati this offseason, while waiting a year on Aldon. Both Crabs and Iupati are failing to put up game film this year to show other teams that they are worth top dollar.

Iupati isn't in a contract year, his contract runs through next season. I'm thinking that the injury is affecting him far more than anyone is letting on, you don't just go from being a Top 3 guard to looking "meh" in a single season at his age without something else going on.
The injury plays a big part in his regression, imagine hitting +300 pound guys every single play with a bad neck/shoulder. I agree with some of the posters that he's the best when healthy. I think we should rest him til after the bye week, give him some time to heal up for the second half of the season and playoffs. We're gonna need him badly in the playoffs.
[ Edited by 808niner4lyphe on Oct 14, 2013 at 9:47 PM ]

His game was thrown off when the broadcaster kept calling him Eu ee eiu Potty
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
His game was thrown off when the broadcaster kept calling him Eu ee eiu Potty

• 9moon
  • Veteran
I think he's playing soft this year.. he's not the usual player that he suppose to be..

could it be that he's trying to be healthy so that he can command the top dollar next year's Free Agency, or simply thinking that he could be the biggest catch in the pond next year??

Remember, the guy didn't wanna re-do his contract w/ the team.. already getting a bad advise from his agent..
He is playing with a shoulder/neck injury let this man heal and he is tops, all pro pissing off opposing dc's! Just the way we love it
Goniners.... We may be able to extend em for lil less. Doubt it tho cause he is playing injured. And its no secret there are players unwilling to do this! Not saying they on our team. No offense to jonas jennings but unsure if he would be playing injured like iupati is at the moment!
Idk obviously injury is a concern Id be all for letting em heal up for a bit. But alot of these things aren't going away after 2-3 weeks.
Share 49ersWebzone