There are 79 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mike Iupati

Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Yup, he was killing it lastnight. But, yet again it's not enough for the zone. How sad these people.

After giving up the Quinn sack he performed well. They let him do what he does best and that's run block
Love the Iupati pick - and he's going to be resigned.
He has not looked the same as he has in past seasons, not sure if its a latent injury issue or what, but he clearly has been off so far this season. In previous years he was always a much better run blocker than pass blocker but this season he's struggled in both areas. As a pass-blocker in particular he's been having a very difficult time, now obviously the 49ers have had a hard schedule up to now but Staley and Boone are performing well, Davis has been up and down but is mostly doing well and Goodwin..well, he'll be gone after the season anyways.

Iupati's PFF ratings after 6 games since 2010

2010 5.2

2011 -1.9

2012 9.9

2013 -5.2

He had a horrendous game against Atlanta in the NFC Championship Game and that seems to have carried over into this season, his only real effective performance has been against the Rams this season with especially bad outings against Seattle and Arizona.

So I'm wondering if this is an injury or some other issues that are causing his performance to suffer. A lot of the free agent scenario's have come down to either Iupati or Crabtree being re-signed and with his performance early on this season, he's making it seem like an easier decision.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 14, 2013 at 6:29 PM ]
I heard Ted Robinson on KNBR this morning say the Iupati has been playing with a should/neck injury. It sounds like it could be a recurrence of the issue he had surgery for over the off-season.
Hes obviously dinged up, still the best pulling guard in the league
I saw them working on his neck on the sidelines. Someone was giving him a massage and he was wincing in pain.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Unlike previous seasons, he's nowhere up near the other top offensive guards in the NFL, the injury is definitely messing with his performance. In terms of pass-blocking, he's down near the very bottom of the NFL.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 14, 2013 at 6:53 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Agreed but he has been giving up at least 3 pressures a game.
People also need to consider the fact that Boone is going to want to get paid too. I feel hes more valuable to thw team.
Hes thinking about the poosey
What are Boones ratings, Phoenix?
Originally posted by eonblue:
People also need to consider the fact that Boone is going to want to get paid too. I feel hes more valuable to thw team.

Boone has been outperforming Iupati to a significant degree this season so far. He's signed through 2015, at which point he'll be 29 and going for possibly his final long-term NFL contract. His base salary this season is $950,000 which makes him a ridiculous bargain. 49ers were smart to extend him early on.
Originally posted by eonblue:
What are Boones ratings, Phoenix?

Boone ranks 24th in the NFL currently among guards, Iupati is 56th. Boone actually had a down game against Arizona in terms of run-blocking but overall he's been excellent and really the only guy to play well against both Seattle and Indy.
Does seem like he is playing througb an injury which is affecting his play. Hope he can get some rest & get better soon.
Also, that said, Goodwin is struggling as well, not sure what his deal is but I don't see him coming back after this season, hopefully Kilgore can be more effective because Goodwin has struggled as both a pass and run blocker, he's ranked near the bottom among NFL centers.