Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mike Iupati

• dmatt
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
To be honest, I never ever liked this guy. I was happy with the Anthony Davis selection but then with the 16th pick 5 spots later, I wanted the 49ers to take Dez Bryant to go with Crabtree. Coulda plugged in Snyder or signed a veteran 2nd tier guard. Rule of thumb in the NFL, NEVER EVER TREVOR SEVER draft a guard in the 1st round. EVER. Guards are for the late 2nd round and on. Look at History, Will Shields 3rd round, Larry Allen 2nd round, Jesse Sapolu 11th round. etc etc. I hated the IUPATI pick straight up speaking. Plus he's been getting whipped in pass blocking.

Yeah I'm pretty pissed we picked one the best guards in the NFL too... It's a shame b/c our dominant offensive line has played no part in us going far in the postseason the past 2 seasons.

Yay dominant line. Yay. Got dismantled at Seattle, got dismantled at the Goaline in the Super Bowl. Ok lets look at our OLINE, I would ARGUE that BOONE, an undrafted FREE AGENT is better then IUPATI.

Sure looks to be the case this year.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by frozen49er:
A power run team that is about to have a $15-$20 million qb. Lets break up the cohesion of one of the best lines in football, that makes a fair amount of sense I guess. Then we will have a little more cap space so we can get into the insane FA market to try and plug the hole in the line, find another WR, CB, because we all know teams are built through FA and not keeping the talent you have on your roster.

Yep, nailed it. We don't need All Pro players.

Yeah, because we have been power running teams to death since Kaepernick took over Two years ago, sure, now? Not even close to a power run team.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sims84:
Yeah, because we have been power running teams to death since Kaepernick took over Two years ago, sure, now? Not even close to a power run team.

there is no excuse for this line, who was a number one run blocking unit last year to not even poke a few small holes in the line for gore in the first two games.. zero excuse, none
A power run team that is about to have a $15-$20 million qb. Lets break up the cohesion of one of the best lines in football, that makes a fair amount of sense I guess. Then we will have a little more cap space so we can get into the insane FA market to try and plug the hole in the line, find another WR, CB, because we all know teams are built through FA and not keeping the talent you have on your roster.

Who needs an O line?

Who needs an O line?

Who needs a star WR when you can overpay a LG who isn't contributing to any holes being opened up except a hole to the QB??

Guards come a dime a dozen
Who needs a star WR when you can overpay a LG who isn't contributing to any holes being opened up except a hole to the QB??

When you get a solid and stable O line, you try to keep them together. And wow, you make great judgements based on one game. Have a look at some of his other games.

All Pro guards do not come a dime a dozen.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

When you get a solid and stable O line, you try to keep them together. And wow, you make great judgements based on one game. Have a look at some of his other games.

plus the fact if you want to go down that road, then the entire offensive line should be dismissed based upon their run blocking effort so far this year. i trust, hope and pray they will have a very good showing in that area today. if not, then we have a major problem i certainly did not foresee this year
A not so power run team that is about to have a $15-$20 million qb. Lets break up the cohesion between a young QB and his favorite WR target, that makes a fair amount of sense I guess. Then we will have a little more cap space so we can get into the insane FA market to try and plug the hole in the line, find another WR, CB, because we all know teams are built through FA and not keeping the talent you have on your roster.

Nailed it.

Iupati might have elite physical skills, but he doesn't play at an elite level. He makes a lot of mental errors.

Crabtree on the other hand, plays at an elite level. He's not a "deep threat," but he knows how to get open and has monster RAC ability. Kaep is young and still developing. He's not great at spreading the ball around. He needs a security blanket and Crabs is a perfect fit. I'd argue that this offense would suffer more without Crabs than Iupati if given an off-season to prepare.

Caveat - If Patton or Baldwin surprise and show elite ability, then all bets are off.
[ Edited by IMnotsoHO on Sep 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM ]
Good thing we have a cohesive offensive line and not that bum Crabtree, right now. After all, its all about the line and the line only.

Originally posted by IMnotsoHO:
Good thing we have a cohesive offensive line and not that bum Crabtree, right now. After all, its all about the line and the line only.

In the words of the famous detective Inspector Gadget, WOWZERS!
boone>Iuduncurrhowyouspellhisname....

Don't get so upset, he was Scot McCloughan drinking buddy were he pick that up from!
Anyone sober enough to watch Mike play last night? You still want to get rid of him?
Yup, he was killing it lastnight. But, yet again it's not enough for the zone. How sad these people.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Yup, he was killing it lastnight. But, yet again it's not enough for the zone. How sad these people.

Youre right. We dont need a good line. Gore and Hunter can do it all on their own. Really, what are we thinking?