There are 169 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mike Iupati

Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
To be honest, I never ever liked this guy. I was happy with the Anthony Davis selection but then with the 16th pick 5 spots later, I wanted the 49ers to take Dez Bryant to go with Crabtree. Coulda plugged in Snyder or signed a veteran 2nd tier guard. Rule of thumb in the NFL, NEVER EVER TREVOR SEVER draft a guard in the 1st round. EVER. Guards are for the late 2nd round and on. Look at History, Will Shields 3rd round, Larry Allen 2nd round, Jesse Sapolu 11th round. etc etc. I hated the IUPATI pick straight up speaking. Plus he's been getting whipped in pass blocking.

Yeah I'm pretty pissed we picked one the best guards in the NFL too... It's a shame b/c our dominant offensive line has played no part in us going far in the postseason the past 2 seasons.

Yay dominant line. Yay. Got dismantled at Seattle, got dismantled at the Goaline in the Super Bowl. Ok lets look at our OLINE, I would ARGUE that BOONE, an undrafted FREE AGENT is better then IUPATI.
To be honest, I never ever liked this guy. I was happy with the Anthony Davis selection but then with the 16th pick 5 spots later, I wanted the 49ers to take Dez Bryant to go with Crabtree. Coulda plugged in Snyder or signed a veteran 2nd tier guard. Rule of thumb in the NFL, NEVER EVER TREVOR SEVER draft a guard in the 1st round. EVER. Guards are for the late 2nd round and on. Look at History, Will Shields 3rd round, Larry Allen 2nd round, Jesse Sapolu 11th round. etc etc. I hated the IUPATI pick straight up speaking. Plus he's been getting whipped in pass blocking.

Yeah I'm pretty pissed we picked one the best guards in the NFL too... It's a shame b/c our dominant offensive line has played no part in us going far in the postseason the past 2 seasons.

Yay dominant line. Yay. Got dismantled at Seattle, got dismantled at the Goaline in the Super Bowl. Ok lets look at our OLINE, I would ARGUE that BOONE, an undrafted FREE AGENT is better then IUPATI.

Yeah they played bad one game, and I don't remember the Super Bowl so I don't have an opinion on that. But those are two instances out of how many dominant performances they've had? It's widely accepted around the league that the 49ers have the best offensive line in the NFL, and Iupati is one of the best guards in the NFL. If the Gm's knew that Iupati was going to be a top-3 guard int the NFL, he would've gone much higher than 17th.

Every game is won in the trenches, and more teams are starting to learn this as OL are getting taken WAY ahead of where they're supposed to because of this realization. Three guards were taken in the first round alone last year (2 went top-10) and that doesn't even include the six tackles and center.

And Boone had first-round potential, but off the field issues (alcohol-related) kept him from getting drafted. Not only is it hard to find that kind of talent in the undrafted free agent pool, but it's also rare to see those players pan out. The 49ers are very lucky to have struck it rich with Boone.
Originally posted by GEEK:
You can shift Boone to LG, slide Davis at RG, and draft an offensive tackle on the right side

Problem is, we're paying Davis OT money.
[ Edited by 60sFan on Sep 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM ]
............Eat a snicker guys, you're not youselves when you're hungry! Iupati is one of the best, period. Slow start but so as everybody else on the line. Again, its only two games fellahs.

Lol, don't get me wrong, Boone is a hell of a guard. He's really coming into his own. But Iupati is a great guard, still underrated some would think.

And are you talking about the Super Bowl play where they blitzed us on 4th down right up the middle, and it was Gore's man that came in? That was more Gore's/Kaep's fault, Gore for not making the block and Kaep for not sliding the protection. It is what it is though, it's not all on Iupati. Yes, he has made some mistakes in the passing game, but who hasn't? Iupati's been the better, more consistent player than Anthony Davis.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
............Eat a snicker guys, you're not youselves when you're hungry! Iupati is one of the best, period. Slow start but so as everybody else on the line. Again, its only two games fellahs.

To be honest, I have no idea what this thread is even about, but I do know that this guy is right.
You can shift Boone to LG, slide Davis at RG, and draft an offensive tackle on the right side

right tackle is a lot harder to find than a guard, why not just keep Davis at tackle
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:

right tackle is a lot harder to find than a guard, why not just keep Davis at tackle

Or that.

Who hates a player who turned into a first team All pro just last season? That's absurd.

Dez Bryant was a walking nightmare character wise his first two years in the league. Even Deion Sanders was going around telling people he needed help. Character issues is why teams passed on him.
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:

To be honest, I have no idea what this thread is even about, but I do know that this guy is right.

Well its about all these wannabe GMs complaining and whining about how we wasted a 1st rd pick on Iupati, and he doesn't deserve an extension, and its better to put A.Davis at guard(that one took the cake...lol), and how he sucked last week at Seattle(like he was the only one that sucked last week), and much much more whining. The kid is an All Pro and is one heck of a player. He's a humble and a hard working player. He even admitted that he sucked last week and vow to be better this week, he didn't make any excuses. Go Niners!
Originally posted by SFrush:

Who hates a player who turned into a first team All pro just last season? That's absurd.

Dez Bryant was a walking nightmare character wise his first two years in the league. Even Deion Sanders was going around telling people he needed help. Character issues is why teams passed on him.

Bryant has talent but his head is not in the right place. Although the same can be said about Aldon.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Pay him and let Crabtree go and Carlos Rogers if necessary.

So let a young, up and coming WR who has been the one and only threat on the outside in the past decade, walk, so we can all go back to complaining how we don't even have WR's that can get separation?? Yeah that makes sense Crabtree is a dominant player and he showed that once Kaepernick took over. Iupati is a dominant player as well but we have had more solid guards in the past decade than we have had DECENT WR's and it's not even close. Keep Crabtree, find another guard
[ Edited by Sims84 on Sep 22, 2013 at 1:13 AM ]
Iupati is way overrated. He is a 3 mill per year guy tops. I would actually pay Boone 4-5 before I paid Iupati that money. Boone is our swing tackle and plays the OT position well too.
[ Edited by bigwads on Sep 22, 2013 at 6:37 AM ]
A power run team that is about to have a $15-$20 million qb. Lets break up the cohesion of one of the best lines in football, that makes a fair amount of sense I guess. Then we will have a little more cap space so we can get into the insane FA market to try and plug the hole in the line, find another WR, CB, because we all know teams are built through FA and not keeping the talent you have on your roster.
Originally posted by frozen49er:
A power run team that is about to have a $15-$20 million qb. Lets break up the cohesion of one of the best lines in football, that makes a fair amount of sense I guess. Then we will have a little more cap space so we can get into the insane FA market to try and plug the hole in the line, find another WR, CB, because we all know teams are built through FA and not keeping the talent you have on your roster.

Yep, nailed it. We don't need All Pro players.