There are 154 users in the forums

Mike Iupati

Originally posted by 60sFan:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
when you have a beast, perennial all pro type guard like iupati u dont let him get away. larry allen played like 10 years with dallas and they won their superbowls because of him bulldozing holes for E Smith.

yeah, but they didn't have to contend with salary caps. It would have been interesting if Dallas would have been able to keep Larry Allen, Troy Aikmen, Emmit Smith, Charles Haley, Deion Sanders, Michael Irvin, etc. and stay under the salary cap today? I think not.

Those were only sum of their good players. They were loaded from top to bottom, without homer glasses on, its tough to say they weren't the most talented team ever.
They had Pro-Bowlers at LT, RT, G, C, QB, RB, WR, DE, DT, S, CB, LB. It was crazy. We were pretty close in 1994, but Deion Sanders amazing unique ability is what put us barely over the top. The 94 Pro-Bowl was basically nothing but Cowboys and 49ers on the NFC squad.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Aug 15, 2013 at 4:21 PM ]
LOL @ all the straw-man arguments floating around this thread.

1. I don't think Iupati is over rated around the league, but I do think he's overrated on this board. All the HOF talk is way premature at this point. Bowman has had a better career than Iupati so far, but no one is talking HOF for him, yet.

2. Everyone has a value and that value is related to the players skill set, the teams depth and their impact as it relates to the rest of the team (ie. salary cap). If we could sign Mike for top 7 money and keep who we want, I think we do it. However, your fooling yourself if you think the choice between a guy like Crabs and a guy like Iupati isn't a tough one. Imo, Crabs is an elite receiver, made in his own mold. For everyone naming the various lineman that we've tried and failed at guard (Chilo/Sndyer), when was the last time we had a top receiver (R. Woods, Daryl Jackson, Tye Streets, Josh Morgan, Manningham, Moss and the list of fail goes on). Kap loves Crabs and they have serious chemistry as evidenced in their first year. You don't screw with that, either.

3. Mike is a great player with a ton of upside, he's not without his flaws. While there is no one that's going to out muscle him and throw him to the ground, he still whiffs at times and struggles with speed rushers.
[ Edited by sweetDwilly on Aug 15, 2013 at 9:39 PM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Those were only sum of their good players. They were loaded from top to bottom, without homer glasses on, its tough to say they weren't the most talented team ever.
They had Pro-Bowlers at LT, RT, G, C, QB, RB, WR, DE, DT, S, CB, LB. It was crazy. We were pretty close in 1994, but Deion Sanders amazing unique ability is what put us barely over the top. The 94 Pro-Bowl was basically nothing but Cowboys and 49ers on the NFC squad.

Sounds like our team minus the DE But we got the ilbs
i was thinking watching lemonier play ...maybe if he steps up we can let aldon go?and sign crabs,kap and iupati that sounds better to me..dont get me wrong but you cant break the O-line chemistry and the Qb-WR chemistry.We have some good picks coming and im thinking Baalke already knows how hard it is to find a decent receiver so.. i think thats the way it goes
If there is someone who we can't afford to let go its Iupati. We need to keep those studs who are protecting our best player.
Originally posted by moyoyoyo49s:
i was thinking watching lemonier play ...maybe if he steps up we can let aldon go?and sign crabs,kap and iupati that sounds better to me..dont get me wrong but you cant break the O-line chemistry and the Qb-WR chemistry.We have some good picks coming and im thinking Baalke already knows how hard it is to find a decent receiver so.. i think thats the way it goes

Originally posted by sweetDwilly:

2 most important positions in today's NFL are passer and pass rusher. We have franchise talents in Kap and Aldon. I'm pretty sure we keep Aldon because he is probably already the best in the NFL at what he does. Our priority list will probably be Kap Aldon Iupati and Crabtree. The first 3 have a very real chance at being the very best in the NFL at what they do the next few years
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Aug 16, 2013 at 6:29 AM ]
Agree Pillbusta!

Thank God we have Trent/JH running the team and not these well-intentioned posters.

?
No team would let a Pro Bowl historic pass rusher like Aldon Smith go.
No team would let their other star outside linebacker go.
No team would let a superstar franchise quarterback like Kap go.
No team would let an All-Pro superstar middle linebacker go.
No team would let their other All-Pro superstar middle linebacker go.
No team would let a superstar tight end go.
No team would let a pro-bowl left tackle go.
No team would let a young potential Pro Bowl right tackle go.
No team would let a young All-Pro guard go.
No team would let a Pro-Bowl defensive lineman go.
No team would let a Pro-Bowl running back go.
No team would let a young, top ten WR go.
No team would let a Pro-Bowl veteran WR go.
No team would let a young, Pro-Bowl free safety go (but we did).

When your team is filled with guys who nobody would let go, unless money isn't their cup of tea, more than a couple of them have to be let go.

Call me crazy, but the O line spots are a lot more valuable than the majority of the list. For example, I love Crabtree. Have supported him when others have hated. But, I would rather keep the o-line in tact, sign Iupati than Crabs. Cohesiveness on the o-line is really important. If you have a great o-line, have time to throw and a good QB, people will get open. You will find playmakers. We have the best o-line in football. We can't f**k that up.

We have s**t depth behind him......he stays
...sign him and forget about it.
Originally posted by sacniner:
No team would let a Pro Bowl historic pass rusher like Aldon Smith go.
No team would let their other star outside linebacker go.
No team would let a superstar franchise quarterback like Kap go.
No team would let an All-Pro superstar middle linebacker go.
No team would let their other All-Pro superstar middle linebacker go.
No team would let a superstar tight end go.
No team would let a pro-bowl left tackle go.
No team would let a young potential Pro Bowl right tackle go.
No team would let a young All-Pro guard go.
No team would let a Pro-Bowl defensive lineman go.
No team would let a Pro-Bowl running back go.
No team would let a young, top ten WR go.
No team would let a Pro-Bowl veteran WR go.
No team would let a young, Pro-Bowl free safety go (but we did).

When your team is filled with guys who nobody would let go, unless money isn't their cup of tea, more than a couple of them have to be let go.

Call me crazy, but the O line spots are a lot more valuable than the majority of the list. For example, I love Crabtree. Have supported him when others have hated. But, I would rather keep the o-line in tact, sign Iupati than Crabs. Cohesiveness on the o-line is really important. If you have a great o-line, have time to throw and a good QB, people will get open. You will find playmakers. We have the best o-line in football. We can't f**k that up.

Yes. You assess the importance of the positions, relatively.

The 49ers took the view, I am guessing, that the defensive backfield could be chopped in view of the strength on the DL and the linebackers .

And the tight end position, at least the second spot, was less important than other positions.

The O line, pass rushing and the starting qb are the fundamental positions.

And even if I was wrong in this - and I don't think I am - our O line depth has shown itself so far to be so s**te that only a coach with suicidal tendencies would let Iupati go.
our O line depth has shown itself so far to be so s**te that only a coach with suicidal tendencies would let Iupati go.

This x 1000. 49ers need Iupati back something fierce. I would think something like this might be an indictment of the coaching staff somewhat. There's no excuse to have a couple competent young backups, but literally all of them looked lost out there.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
our O line depth has shown itself so far to be so s**te that only a coach with suicidal tendencies would let Iupati go.

This x 1000. 49ers need Iupati back something fierce. I would think something like this might be an indictment of the coaching staff somewhat. There's no excuse to have a couple competent young backups, but literally all of them looked lost out there.
Not that I disagree, but that's no reason to run out and extend a guy when he has this year and next on his contract (I think next year).
Share 49ersWebzone