There are 52 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mike Iupati

Baalke's pattern is to sign these guys to a long term deal at a salary that is in the top 10, but maybe not in the top 5. Continuity has been key on our offensive line and they are the best in the business for that reason. I don't want Baalke to make that same mistakes the Seahawks made by not signing Steve Hutchinson way back when (......they still haven't had anyone as good even until now). I think he finds a way to keep Iupati long term.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Baalke's pattern is to sign these guys to a long term deal at a salary that is in the top 10, but maybe not in the top 5. Continuity has been key on our offensive line and they are the best in the business for that reason. I don't want Baalke to make that same mistakes the Seahawks made by not signing Steve Hutchinson way back when (......they still haven't had anyone as good even until now). I think he finds a way to keep Iupati long term.

The better Lemonier plays, the less retaining Brooks becomes a necessity. When the time comes, being able to shed themselves of Brooks' large cap hit will go a long way towards retaining Iupati. I am deducing that Iupati wants more money than what Baalke is comfortable paying him. There were reports of talk of an extension in May and nothing came out of it.
First, IMO, absolute horsesh-t that it's easy to get a quality interior lineman. Look how terrible we were w/Snyder and before. Heck, When Snyder went in he was a major upgrade. It isn't easy, in fact it's very difficult. Add to that, letting a 1st rounder w/his capabilities leave is unrealistic - at best.

Mountain Mike isn't going anywhere but a resign. Trent is WAYYYYYY too smart to let him go.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
First, IMO, absolute horsesh-t that it's easy to get a quality interior lineman. Look how terrible we were w/Snyder and before. Heck, When Snyder went in he was a major upgrade. It isn't easy, in fact it's very difficult. Add to that, letting a 1st rounder w/his capabilities leave is unrealistic - at best.

Mountain Mike isn't going anywhere but a resign. Trent is WAYYYYYY too smart to let him go.

Letting one of the best players at his position go, a guy who has only been playing 3 years? This does not compute, Captain.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Letting one of the best players at his position go, a guy who has only been playing 3 years? This does not compute, Captain.

Thank you! guy has been a first team all pro and pro bowler so far and is only going to get better. It seems some posters have either forgotten about the Chilo/Snyder/Kwame days or have just hopped on the bandwagon.
[ Edited by ChipDouglas510 on Aug 15, 2013 at 10:51 AM ]
I think it's interesting the way lots of fans would applaud if the team paid $10 - $14 million to a receiver, but have a problem with the team paying $7 - $10 million to one of the best O-linemen in the league. I may be wrong about this, but I'm guessing that if you compare the teams that pay a lot for o-line to those who pay a lot for receivers, you'll find that the teams paying the o-line are getting to the playoffs a lot more often.
Can't beleive that people still underrate the o-line. Second most important part of the offense, probably the entire team, behind the QB. You don't let a young stud like Iupati go. Hell no.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I think it's interesting the way lots of fans would applaud if the team paid $10 - $14 million to a receiver, but have a problem with the team paying $7 - $10 million to one of the best O-linemen in the league. I may be wrong about this, but I'm guessing that if you compare the teams that pay a lot for o-line to those who pay a lot for receivers, you'll find that the teams paying the o-line are getting to the playoffs a lot more often.

I don't think fans care who gets paid what. It's the front office who cares. Many of us are just trying to predict what decisions will be made.
[ Edited by 60sFan on Aug 15, 2013 at 11:53 AM ]
Originally posted by sacniner:
Can't beleive that people still underrate the o-line. Second most important part of the offense, probably the entire team, behind the QB. You don't let a young stud like Iupati go. Hell no.

Amazing isn't it. All successful teams have offensive lines that are real good if not league elite. There are different ways of having a good offensive line, but nobody gets anywhere without a successful offensive line.
Originally posted by 60sFan:
I don't think fans care who gets paid what. It's the front office who cares. Many of us are just trying to predict what decisions will be made.

I don't know about that. Lots of fans around here thought the team should out-bid everyone to bring Harvin in at any price or pay any price to get a "Megatron."
One of the strengths of a good run game is being able to run to both sides (left and right) effectively. Guards play a huge role in being able to do this. Unless Kilgore or Looney show promise of being able to replace Iupati with a small step down in effectiveness, re-signing Iupati is a big priority and I would give up Brooks and Crabs to do it.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by 60sFan:

I don't know about that. Lots of fans around here thought the team should out-bid everyone to bring Harvin in at any price or pay any price to get a "Megatron."

Yeah, but those fans are not considering cap consequences. Personally, I find it more interesting to work the parameters of cap issues. It takes a real skillful tactician at GM and coach, which I feel we have an advantage at over a majority of teams.
With our power running based offense, I would be highly surprised if we did not resign Iupati
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
With our power running based offense, I would be highly surprised if we did not resign Iupati

I agree. I think their top priorities are Iupati, Aldon Smith and obviously Kaepernick and I think they easily have the cap room to get those three done.
Seriously, no NFL team lets a guy like Iupati go. When they are 30-odd, maybe. Not when they are only three years into their career. If Dallas or Seattle did this we would all be laughing at them, so why is it even being discussed? Unless he decides he is worth quarterback money it simply isn't going to happen.

End thread.