LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

Mike Iupati

Let's get rid of this stupid salary cap. It eventually circumvents the point of the draft. Why reward the suck-ass teams again? If Iupati wants to leave the 9ers regardless of how much they will pay him then so be it. At least we had a fighting chance of keeping him.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Let's get rid of this stupid salary cap. It eventually circumvents the point of the draft. Why reward the suck-ass teams again? If Iupati wants to leave the 9ers regardless of how much they will pay him then so be it. At least we had a fighting chance of keeping him.

They should do it more like basketball. You should be able to pay the guys you drafted to a certain extent.

This really got a laugh from me. You draft well and then lose guys because of the cap. I believe there should be a salary cap, but maybe the NFL should give exceptions like the old Larry Bird rule in the NBA where you could resign players that you drafted and go over the limit. In the case of the NFL, it wouldn't work exactly the same. But allow teams to sign 2 or 3 players that they drafted so long as the contracts don't put them more than 15% of the limit or something to that effect. To prevent abuse of the system, put some type of rule in place that gives teams more dead money than usual if players are released before the contract is up if that exemption is used.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
The highest paid guard in the NFL is the Giants Chris Snee who gets about $6.7 mil a year. Logan Mankins of the Patriots gets about $5.7 mil. I'm pretty sure Baalke thinks Iupati is one of the top five guards in the league so I expect them to offer him something above $5 mil a year and I predict Iupati will sign and stay with the team.

Chris Snee costs the Giants $11 million of their salary cap in 2013.
http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/cap-hit/guard/

That's true, but his base salary is $6.7 million.
The way the 49ers are constructed they need a top o-line

You start airing it out like manning and Brees you need like 1-2 top guys and then the rest can be found in Lower rounds
The highest paid guard in the NFL is the Giants Chris Snee who gets about $6.7 mil a year. Logan Mankins of the Patriots gets about $5.7 mil. I'm pretty sure Baalke thinks Iupati is one of the top five guards in the league so I expect them to offer him something above $5 mil a year and I predict Iupati will sign and stay with the team.

Chris Snee costs the Giants $11 million of their salary cap in 2013.
http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/cap-hit/guard/

That's true, but his base salary is $6.7 million.

"Base salary" doesn't really mean anything. Someone's base salary could be $2.00 or $200,000,000 dollars. All that matters is what he costs against the cap.
"Signing bonuses", "incentives" and other technical jargon cloud the issue and make "base salaries" irrelevant to what a player is actually being paid.
"Base salary" doesn't really mean anything. Someone's base salary could be $2.00 or $200,000,000 dollars. All that matters is what he costs against the cap.
"Signing bonuses", "incentives" and other technical jargon cloud the issue and make "base salaries" irrelevant to what a player is actually being paid.

Unless you have a terrible job, like being a telemarketer.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

This really got a laugh from me. You draft well and then lose guys because of the cap. I believe there should be a salary cap, but maybe the NFL should give exceptions like the old Larry Bird rule in the NBA where you could resign players that you drafted and go over the limit. In the case of the NFL, it wouldn't work exactly the same. But allow teams to sign 2 or 3 players that they drafted so long as the contracts don't put them more than 15% of the limit or something to that effect. To prevent abuse of the system, put some type of rule in place that gives teams more dead money than usual if players are released before the contract is up if that exemption is used.

I like the cap the way it is. It promotes parity unlike the NBA where championships have been bought time and again. If we went to the old NBA model, the Cowboys, Redskins, Giants and Patriots would win every year because they have the most money. Even Seattle has Paul Allen as owner and he is rich as f#ck. You would have teams doing as the Yankees do. We better leave it as is where the teams that have success aren't winning because they have the most money but because they have the best and brightest coaching staffs and front offices and of course they develop guys into great players
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Aug 15, 2013 at 12:08 AM ]
Thats nonsense,Do what ever it takes.

He is our best Offensive lineman,we must sign him.
Iupati is overrated? Lol, wow some fans are clueless and ignorant. Iupati is one of our best player on the team and one of the best guards in the league. I say we should extend his contract and keep our oline together for couple more years.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Replacing a franchise, top of the league left guard is easier than replacing a right tackle? Not sure if serious.
When that Tackle is Anthony Davis, yup. I like Big Mike but interior lineman are much easier to replace.
Baalke's pattern is to sign these guys to a long term deal at a salary that is in the top 10, but maybe not in the top 5. Continuity has been key on our offensive line and they are the best in the business for that reason. I don't want Baalke to make that same mistakes the Seahawks made by not signing Steve Hutchinson way back when (......they still haven't had anyone as good even until now). I think he finds a way to keep Iupati long term.
  • thl408
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Baalke's pattern is to sign these guys to a long term deal at a salary that is in the top 10, but maybe not in the top 5. Continuity has been key on our offensive line and they are the best in the business for that reason. I don't want Baalke to make that same mistakes the Seahawks made by not signing Steve Hutchinson way back when (......they still haven't had anyone as good even until now). I think he finds a way to keep Iupati long term.

The better Lemonier plays, the less retaining Brooks becomes a necessity. When the time comes, being able to shed themselves of Brooks' large cap hit will go a long way towards retaining Iupati. I am deducing that Iupati wants more money than what Baalke is comfortable paying him. There were reports of talk of an extension in May and nothing came out of it.
First, IMO, absolute horsesh-t that it's easy to get a quality interior lineman. Look how terrible we were w/Snyder and before. Heck, When Snyder went in he was a major upgrade. It isn't easy, in fact it's very difficult. Add to that, letting a 1st rounder w/his capabilities leave is unrealistic - at best.

Mountain Mike isn't going anywhere but a resign. Trent is WAYYYYYY too smart to let him go.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
First, IMO, absolute horsesh-t that it's easy to get a quality interior lineman. Look how terrible we were w/Snyder and before. Heck, When Snyder went in he was a major upgrade. It isn't easy, in fact it's very difficult. Add to that, letting a 1st rounder w/his capabilities leave is unrealistic - at best.

Mountain Mike isn't going anywhere but a resign. Trent is WAYYYYYY too smart to let him go.

Letting one of the best players at his position go, a guy who has only been playing 3 years? This does not compute, Captain.
Share 49ersWebzone