There are 200 users in the forums

Mike Iupati

Originally posted by Pillbusta:
And we will offer him a top 5 OG salary. Add to the fact the camaraderie and the winning atmosphere of this group and just like Goody, it will be hard for Mike to leave us. We haven't created all of this cap space just to look at it. We are going to use it to extend our own

They'll absolutely offer him top 5 guard pay because he's unquestionably in the top 5. The highest paid guard in the league makes about 5 mil a year.
Yup, OTs make more than OGs, but when AJ in SD told Dielman,, $5 mil was tops, SEA sent their jet down, and jetted Dielman up to SEA to $7mil/yr( I think that was the #). Result? SD OL goes in the tank....and Rivers followed...from the loss of one guy, remember. The one guy who had been with that group since Rivers was a top rated QB. Boom, Dielman leaves, and one lousy OG is the reason for SDs OLine never to recover. Stupid move on AJs part. Not that yr, but a while later he got the boot. But the Dielman thing was the one that killed the Chargers. Pillbusta's statement, "we haven't created all this cap space just to look at it. We are going to use it to extend our own." That is gospel folks.

Here's another. Romo just signed a $20 mil/yr 5 yr(?) deal, and yet he has led the cowboys to only one playoff win since 1996( obviously he wasn't there the whole time). Now look at their woebegotten OLs. Terrible. They are so bad Kwame and Chilo could both start there. Romo, good as he is, has no protection, is lucky to still be alive, but isn't going to have any better OL this yr than last (or the last 17 yrs to be exact). And who did big Jer bring in? Why a Center from Iowa or someplace, who was cowboys #1 pick. On every other board in the NFL (all 31 of them, supposedly), that Center was listed as a solid 3rd rounder. Wow. Not only do you have to keep what's good to stay around, you want to avoid getting behind the "NO OL 8-ball". Because once there, all you ever want to do is get your dam OL back together. And as big jer has shown, you can do some pretty stupid things in trying to do so.

Guys, we GOT the great OL. You just don't throw that away. If Iupati gets more money than other top 5 OGs, so the F what ? We can't afford to lose any of that remarkable OL. We do and that talented Kap will be just yesterday's news. I know, I know, ball handlers, and CBs get all the press. But the trench guys...they make and establish the team. Don't do that and you end up like the effete cowboys, watching the playoffs and SB at home each yr.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jul 23, 2013 at 9:55 PM ]
Originally posted by GNielsen:
And we will offer him a top 5 OG salary. Add to the fact the camaraderie and the winning atmosphere of this group and just like Goody, it will be hard for Mike to leave us. We haven't created all of this cap space just to look at it. We are going to use it to extend our own

They'll absolutely offer him top 5 guard pay because he's unquestionably in the top 5. The highest paid guard in the league makes about 5 mil a year.

That's not really accurate. You must be thinking of base salaries.
http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/average/guard/

A top guards average salary is around 8-9mil per, and sometimes the cap hit can be more. Like Chris Snee costs the Giants over 11 million on their cap right now.
And don't forget the rule, new contracts are ALWAYS more expensive than old contracts.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jul 23, 2013 at 10:12 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
If Iupati gets more money than other top 5 OGs, so the F what ? We can't afford to lose any of that remarkable OL. We do and that talented Kap will be just yesterday's news. I know, I know, ball handlers, and CBs get all the press. But the trench guys...they make and establish the team. Don't do that and you end up like the effete cowboys, watching the playoffs and SB at home each yr.

If he makes more money than them, he'll be making over 10mil per. That is a LOT to invest in one guard.

I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying though. In fact if you look at the team with the highest paid guards, you see a couple of recent Super Bowl wins among them. Top guards tend to have Super Bowl rings on their fingers.
If we do sign Iupati, remember, we have to say good bye to 10mil of other players. Maybe we still should? I don't know; I'm right on the borderline.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jul 23, 2013 at 10:19 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Originally posted by 60sFan:
MaioccoCSN
You can't pay everyone. The 49ers would like to keep Iupati long term, but they will try to get him to accept a deal that is below market value. The question becomes, what is Iupati willing to accept when he knows he can get a whole lot more on the open market.less
4 Minutes Ago from www.csnbayarea.com

And there's also this winner of a comment from Maiocco today:
Teams will definitely pay Iupati far more than he would get from the 49ers if he hits the open market.

Maiocco has been covering the team for awhile now...but I don't care. Regarding these two comments of his, my question is this: How in the hell does he know that other teams will, "...definitely pay far more" than what he'd get from the 49ers? And this beauty: "...they will try to get him to accept a deal that is below market value". Are you kidding me? He and his agent are not stupid - he's turning into (or might already be) a Top 5 NFL guard. How can Maiocco just go spout off stuff like that like he's labeling the 49ers as cheap? They aren't, they're just smart in paying people...they won't come across as cheap to players they truly value (such as Iupati, who was hand-picked in the draft by Baalke). The above comments are just disappointing from an otherwise pretty knowledgeable 49ers beat writer. Barrows has been ahead of him for some time now in covering the team, in my view.

Maiaocco's reports have been awful, its like he reads the Webzone to make his reports...all speculation. Just like the time someone asked Maiaocco if the 9ers would draft Colin Kaepernick, he said he didn't think he fits in what the 9ers are doing.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Maiaocco's reports have been awful, its like he reads the Webzone to make his reports...all speculation. Just like the time someone asked Maiaocco if the 9ers would draft Colin Kaepernick, he said he didn't think he fits in what the 9ers are doing.

To be fair, it's more of his job now to speculate on the team. He is the "insider" and his boss probably tells him to give as much opinion as he can. I don't think Maiaocco necessarily likes to speculate, but it's now a part of his job.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BrianGO:

To be fair, it's more of his job now to speculate on the team. He is the "insider" and his boss probably tells him to give as much opinion as he can. I don't think Maiaocco necessarily likes to speculate, but it's now a part of his job.

I erased Maiaocco's twitter right after all his late reports on Asomugha this past off-season, Matt Barrows was the man in March and reported everything to a T and am now following him from now on.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Originally posted by 60sFan:
MaioccoCSN
You can't pay everyone. The 49ers would like to keep Iupati long term, but they will try to get him to accept a deal that is below market value. The question becomes, what is Iupati willing to accept when he knows he can get a whole lot more on the open market.less
4 Minutes Ago from www.csnbayarea.com

And there's also this winner of a comment from Maiocco today:
Teams will definitely pay Iupati far more than he would get from the 49ers if he hits the open market.

Maiocco has been covering the team for awhile now...but I don't care. Regarding these two comments of his, my question is this: How in the hell does he know that other teams will, "...definitely pay far more" than what he'd get from the 49ers? And this beauty: "...they will try to get him to accept a deal that is below market value". Are you kidding me? He and his agent are not stupid - he's turning into (or might already be) a Top 5 NFL guard. How can Maiocco just go spout off stuff like that like he's labeling the 49ers as cheap? They aren't, they're just smart in paying people...they won't come across as cheap to players they truly value (such as Iupati, who was hand-picked in the draft by Baalke). The above comments are just disappointing from an otherwise pretty knowledgeable 49ers beat writer. Barrows has been ahead of him for some time now in covering the team, in my view.

He was one of a few who said Bowman wouldnt be retained, and I said all along Bowman could be kept.

I've had conversations with Matt. He doesnt deal with the contract stuff, just players information. His numbers come from sources he gets. Either agents or at NFLPA.
you love Llupati butt?

me tew.

Originally posted by TonyStarks:
you love Llupati butt?

me tew.

lulzz

Originally posted by BrianGO:

And he's terrible at it. If he just sticks to reporting the facts . . . fine. But you cannot expect any kind of insightful analysis or evaluation out of him. I don't read his chats any more. Nothing to be learned there.
Ditto what others have said about Kap needing the OL in tact. Also when I think of Marcus Lattimore specifically I really believe we have to keep and will keep iupati. If we keep Lattimore on reserve I think he might lose a season accrued towards free agency. This happens and we could be looking at starting 2014 with 4 years of a healthy 38 on his rookie contract with a year to watch Gore. This could be the ultimate bargain and we need big Mike paving the way for him to fully realize his potential
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Jul 24, 2013 at 6:11 AM ]
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
you can't have a ton of money wrapped up in OG and expect to maintain a top team. the money has to be divvied up to more important players in their primes.
Ditto what others have said about Kap needing the OL in tact. Also when I think of Marcus Lattimore specifically I really believe we have to keep and will keep iupati. If we keep Lattimore on reserve I think he might lose a season accrued towards free agency. This happens and we could be looking at starting 2014 with 4 years of a healthy 38 on his rookie contract with a year to watch Gore. This could be the ultimate bargain and we need big Mike paving the way for him to fully realize his potential

Any change of your thoughts regarding the signing of Iupati? Looks like they will wait until the end of the season. Odds are not looking good.
Share 49ersWebzone