There are 165 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mike Iupati

Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
LMFAO at people that undervalue guards in football. Every position is important and all has its own values in the football world folks. Guards with skill sets like Iupati don't come along often. He's like a Calvin Johnson for Guards. Remember when Chilo Rachal was one of our guards? Yeah, thats what I thought. When Rachal was our Guard all you folks was b***hing and moaning about our right side of the line and whining about how our right GUARD sucks and he's killing our QB. Iupati is a valuable player and he will get his extension. I'm sure the Niners are not stupid to let one of our best offensive lineman walk and let an unproven player protect Kaeps blind side, thats a recipe for disaster if you ask me. Aren't we all trying to protect the QB that we've been looking for for years and years? Especially after Iupati has good chemistry with J.Staley on protecting Kaep's blind side. Offensive Linemens are just like QB's with WRs, they need chemistry in order to succeed.
preach on brotha.... I'm with you. Remember how soo long ago, we used to talk about how we didnt have stability at the line, now we have a beast in Iupati, so i dont care what we gotta do, make sure we keep him. Yes every once in a while he and Staley have a few breakdowns, but for the past two years, the line has been a distant thought, because they've been in beast mode, and i'd like to keep it that way.

I keep hearing bout Kaep's salary next year, but lets see how he does this year before we talk about breaking the bank. If Baalke and company are soo good, they should be able to keep the QB's pocket pretty heavy, while still keeping some key players on staff.
[ Edited by Jersey9er on Jul 23, 2013 at 2:00 AM ]
lol I love Iupati butt too
MaioccoCSN
You can't pay everyone. The 49ers would like to keep Iupati long term, but they will try to get him to accept a deal that is below market value. The question becomes, what is Iupati willing to accept when he knows he can get a whole lot more on the open market.less
4 Minutes Ago from www.csnbayarea.com
Originally posted by 60sFan:
MaioccoCSN
You can't pay everyone. The 49ers would like to keep Iupati long term, but they will try to get him to accept a deal that is below market value. The question becomes, what is Iupati willing to accept when he knows he can get a whole lot more on the open market.less

This is our problem...
Originally posted by pdizo916:
MaioccoCSN

This is our problem...

It is a matter of priorities. Personally , I only rate the starting qb and the starting pass rush as more important that the O line.
Originally posted by English:
MaioccoCSN

This is our problem...

It is a matter of priorities. Personally , I only rate the starting qb and the starting pass rush as more important that the O line.

But then you have to rate the OL separate. OT & C is more important than G.
MaioccoCSN

This is our problem...

I wouldn't say that a C is as important as a pro bowl guard...

1) LT
2) RT
3) LG or C
4) LG / RG / C
5) LG / RG / C
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
MaioccoCSN

This is our problem...

1) LT
2) RT
3) LG or C
4) LG / RG / C
5) LG / RG / C

Whilst I do agree on the whole with you gents, there is one thing that does not get taken into account by this format. Offensive lines improve as they play together. Chop and change them and they tend to struggle. Leave the same group playing together and you will get the best out of them in time.
Whilst I do agree on the whole with you gents, there is one thing that does not get taken into account by this format. Offensive lines improve as they play together. Chop and change them and they tend to struggle. Leave the same group playing together and you will get the best out of them in time.

Consider the Cowgirls of the 90's. Larry Allen alone played 4 different positions on the OL. They mixed and matched a lot and were considered to be one of the best if not the best of that decade. Of course an OL is going to play better if we keep them together forever. It's just not realistic. I believe the better organizations do it more seamlessly than the also rans. We have to be the better organization.

Consider the Cowgirls of the 90's. Larry Allen alone played 4 different positions on the OL. They mixed and matched a lot and were considered to be one of the best if not the best of that decade. Of course an OL is going to play better if we keep them together forever. It's just not realistic. I believe the better organizations do it more seamlessly than the also rans. We have to be the better organization.

Well, we aren't actually talking about keeping them together forever, are we? They are an extremely young unit.

I don't believe Baalke is so foolish as to allow Iupati to go play for another team.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

1) LT
2) RT
3) LG or C
4) LG / RG / C
5) LG / RG / C

A pro bowl C who can help keep the pocket from collapsing, able to pull, capable of blocking up field, not to mention calling the line assignments effectively, is more important to me than a Pro bowl G. Heck, it may be a better argument whether C is more important than OT? Just sayin'.
We'll sign Iupati, Kap, and Aldon. Then spend a 1st round pick on Donte Moncrief or another top flight WR which can compliment Jenkins, Lockette (if he does well and they sign him longer term), and Patton in 2015.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Jul 23, 2013 at 1:46 PM ]
Well, we aren't actually talking about keeping them together forever, are we? They are an extremely young unit.

I don't believe Baalke is so foolish as to allow Iupati to go play for another team.

Forgive me for my exaggeration, however, it will be up to Iupati to take a lesser deal with us than an over the top deal with someone else. I don't think Balke will reach.
"Whatever AB said, that's what I meant" . That is old joke from medical school days, but it certainly applies here. Jezy pezy, as noted above, the short sighted can't remember Kwame the Lame, Chilo the '"whiff", and so on down the line. Like I posted 6 pages ago, "Build your lines first"(Lombardi)...and then keep them. You just can't win SB titles without OLs and DLs. Look at the best qb in football, Aaron Rodgers. A zillion passes completed and same for TDs, and oh yes, 51 sacks. Plus in the playoffs they lose early on. Why? Just look at the Packer "lookout line". I guess that's ok for awhile but odds are if that continues AR starts watching games from the sideline. OL is there to protect your #1 man. No OL, Kap is just plain Ok to good. Great OL and Kap can be the best. And that is why this business of keeping crbs and letting Iupati go is just silly. OL, esp an All pro, is way more valuable than crbs any day of the week. And I am not picking on crbs.

The point that you can't pay everybody is well taken. But....what was our #1 need going into draft. Right, SS/CB...and we take Reid, who just basically took Dashon's place, except at maybe 1/3 the cost. Then...instead of taking more CBs and Ss, we go elsewhere. So how does trent /JH fill the CB/S slots? By bringing in lesser paid guys, way down the draft list and then bringing in another half dozen UDFAs for a look. They needed basically 3 other Strong Corners....what all 4 guys back there are going to be called...as starters, and decided to save money that way, so we could resign the obvious guys we need to stay on top of the heap. It was way smarter to do it that way than buy hi price DBs in. We just brought a whole wagon of them in, some for just a day some longer, and we added yet another today, who had been here before and was cut. Coach is going to let those guys fight it out as to who are the best 3 besides Reid, and then resign the OL and DL guys (incl front 7) that we just have to have. I love the idea of bringing in so many CB/ss in camp and yet no hi price ones. Super idea.

But please, no more , "we can't afford iupati". In truth, we cannot afford to let him go.
Dielman in SD. OG, snaked by SEA I believe, and SD OL fell apart. Same with Hutchinson. He leaves, OL falls apart. Both QBs looked like doo doo also, with no OL, and that is a glimpse of what kap will look like with no OL. We have to keep Iupati. You just have to admire the way trent and JH have worked to have backups and replacements for these guys too. I think the ability to keep talent and bring in new talent while watching the bottom line is the best thing JH and trent have done.
Heck, just ask AB.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jul 23, 2013 at 2:35 PM ]
MaioccoCSN

And there's also this winner of a comment from Maiocco today:
Teams will definitely pay Iupati far more than he would get from the 49ers if he hits the open market.

Maiocco has been covering the team for awhile now...but I don't care. Regarding these two comments of his, my question is this: How in the hell does he know that other teams will, "...definitely pay far more" than what he'd get from the 49ers? And this beauty: "...they will try to get him to accept a deal that is below market value". Are you kidding me? He and his agent are not stupid - he's turning into (or might already be) a Top 5 NFL guard. How can Maiocco just go spout off stuff like that like he's labeling the 49ers as cheap? They aren't, they're just smart in paying people...they won't come across as cheap to players they truly value (such as Iupati, who was hand-picked in the draft by Baalke). The above comments are just disappointing from an otherwise pretty knowledgeable 49ers beat writer. Barrows has been ahead of him for some time now in covering the team, in my view.
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Jul 23, 2013 at 2:50 PM ]