There are 169 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mike Iupati

This is our best lineman...

Sometimes people need to drink less during games so they can actually watch what is happening.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Sometimes people need to drink less during games so they can actually watch what is happening.

Keeping Iupati is essential so is keeping Crabtree, Aldon and Kaep. We have built our team with these core guys our success will be keeping our core together and bringing in/grooming for the future. I know people dont believe in Crabtree but he has never been the enigma of the "T.O." porportion in fact he has only gotten better each year and is our first +1000 yr wr since T.O. Even during the A. Smith era he didnt exude the "diva" attitude many of his predecessors at the WR have in the past when they have been working with a marginal QB. I believe we can keep all of the aforementioned players. In Harbaugh and Baalke we trust.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

lol
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I think people really undervalue the big uglies up front.

I really don't give a sh*t that he's "only" a guard. Ask Seattle and Minnesota how good Hutch was. he was "only" a guard. Same with Larry Allen. How good was this team when Chilo was a guard? How often did he screw up a play?

So much of the 49ers run game involves Iupati. Pulls, traps....esentially any kind f run you can think of. Iupati has more value to this team than almost any other player on offense. If you think letting him go and replacing him with Looney won't be felt...you are kdding yourselves.

+1. Well said, Marvin. Iupati is a beast and we need to extend him (I'm sure we will just as you are). Guards like Iupati are not easily replaceable just like that. And, maybe some more good news about our chances of extending him...I heard on The Game this morning one of our all-time great O-linemen speaking, Jesse Sapolu. As you know, he's been a great representative/ambassador for the Niners after his playing days - he said he's in touch with Iupati frequently and that they recently took a trip to Samoa together. His influence and the heritage connection with Iupati could only help our chances towards an extension.
Eventually we will need to pony up the cash for our Guards, whoever they are, Boone, Iupati, Kilgore(If not at Center), and Looney. If those guys break out, and future picks, we need to break the bank a bit on the OL, it's the glue that holds our offense together. Without Kap wouldn't be Kap. He is a legit top 10 QB, but behind a crappy OL, he would play like s**t. We need to keep our best, and let the less great walk, it sucks to see Brown not apart of the future, but I rather keep the younger Culliver, who has #1 CB skills written on him over Brown, who may have peeked. Is he a True #1 CB? We all think/thought Rogers was/is. We have 4 legit CBs who could be #1's. If Nnamdi comes back strong, we best keep him over Carlos. Tought decisions lye ahead, but trust me, we have the cap space, and the FO people to get it done.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Eventually we will need to pony up the cash for our Guards, whoever they are, Boone, Iupati, Kilgore(If not at Center), and Looney. If those guys break out, and future picks, we need to break the bank a bit on the OL, it's the glue that holds our offense together. Without Kap wouldn't be Kap. He is a legit top 10 QB, but behind a crappy OL, he would play like s**t. We need to keep our best, and let the less great walk, it sucks to see Brown not apart of the future, but I rather keep the younger Culliver, who has #1 CB skills written on him over Brown, who may have peeked. Is he a True #1 CB? We all think/thought Rogers was/is. We have 4 legit CBs who could be #1's. If Nnamdi comes back strong, we best keep him over Carlos. Tought decisions lye ahead, but trust me, we have the cap space, and the FO people to get it done.

You would think that after the years of Kwame Harris, Chilo Rachal and jonas Jennings, to name a few, every fan would be fuming at the thought of not extending a guy lime Iupati lol.

Realistically can we fit Iupati, Aldon and Kap under the cap after 2015? We were discussing this in the thread about T.Brown. Guys like Brooks might have to take some sort of cap-friendly pay cut. I also think Tank might replace Raymac or Justin and that could be 6 million saved, enough for Iupati's raise? Kaep and Aldon alone will eat up 30 million or so.
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:

You would think that after the years of Kwame Harris, Chilo Rachal and jonas Jennings, to name a few, every fan would be fuming at the thought of not extending a guy lime Iupati lol.

I agree. I am sick of the Rachal's, Harris's and Jennings'. We need to lock up Iupati, have him, Staley and Davis locked up through at least 2017.
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:

Realistically can we fit Iupati, Aldon and Kap under the cap after 2015? We were discussing this in the thread about T.Brown. Guys like Brooks might have to take some sort of cap-friendly pay cut. I also think Tank might replace Raymac or Justin and that could be 6 million saved, enough for Iupati's raise? Kaep and Aldon alone will eat up 30 million or so.

Yeah, we can fit them, we can do 2 of them in 2014, and hen the other, say Aldon, since he has a team option in 2015. We also can look to Staley, he has high base salaries, do a redo, extend past 2017, give him a nice signing bonus, and a roster bonus in a yr or 2. Brooks needs to step up. He gets a lot of slack, some derservent, but some not. He plays all over the place, DE, OLB, even ILB it seems.

He has de-escatalors in his deal, same as Anthony Davis, based on weight requirements.
Yeah, we can fit them, we can do 2 of them in 2014, and hen the other, say Aldon, since he has a team option in 2015. We also can look to Staley, he has high base salaries, do a redo, extend past 2017, give him a nice signing bonus, and a roster bonus in a yr or 2. Brooks needs to step up. He gets a lot of slack, some derservent, but some not. He plays all over the place, DE, OLB, even ILB it seems.

He has de-escatalors in his deal, same as Anthony Davis, based on weight requirements.

Yeah it seems like the FO has us well positioned to keep the core intact. Brooks was one of our top defenders in the playoffs, for sure but seeing him as a guy who's paid top 3-5 money was a bit of an eye-opener. Tank will in all likelihood replace one of our DEs, whether it's in 2015 or 2016 so that frees up some money as well.

Yeah it seems like the FO has us well positioned to keep the core intact. Brooks was one of our top defenders in the playoffs, for sure but seeing him as a guy who's paid top 3-5 money was a bit of an eye-opener. Tank will in all likelihood replace one of our DEs, whether it's in 2015 or 2016 so that frees up some money as well.

Indeed. Tank will hopefully take Justin's spot, and we either keep RayMac, or draft another stud DE. I love McDonald, he is underrated. He does a lot of good stuff, tackles, run stuffer. Not the sack guy, but the OLBs should be IMO. Aldon and Ahmad, along with Lemonier and Haralson should be the key rushers this year.
RayMac is great, love how quick he is, his instincts off the ball are phenomenal and he isn't making a ton of money; just hope his great play continues over the next few years. Even with the loss of Goldson, the front 7 is much deeper with the talented draft additions and the coaching staff seems to see something in Ian Williams as well. We finished ties for 11th in sacks last year, no reason we shouldn't see an improvement on that front.
RayMac is great, love how quick he is, his instincts off the ball are phenomenal and he isn't making a ton of money; just hope his great play continues over the next few years. Even with the loss of Goldson, the front 7 is much deeper with the talented draft additions and the coaching staff seems to see something in Ian Williams as well. We finished ties for 11th in sacks last year, no reason we shouldn't see an improvement on that front.

I agree. Especially if Tank gets some playing time. My hope is a Tank/McDonald DE Tandem, have Dial, Ian, maybe bring back Dorsey for a rotation.
LMFAO at people that undervalue guards in football. Every position is important and all has its own values in the football world folks. Guards with skill sets like Iupati don't come along often. He's like a Calvin Johnson for Guards. Remember when Chilo Rachal was one of our guards? Yeah, thats what I thought. When Rachal was our Guard all you folks was b***hing and moaning about our right side of the line and whining about how our right GUARD sucks and he's killing our QB. Iupati is a valuable player and he will get his extension. I'm sure the Niners are not stupid to let one of our best offensive lineman walk and let an unproven player protect Kaeps blind side, thats a recipe for disaster if you ask me. Aren't we all trying to protect the QB that we've been looking for for years and years? Especially after Iupati has good chemistry with J.Staley on protecting Kaep's blind side. Offensive Linemens are just like QB's with WRs, they need chemistry in order to succeed.
[ Edited by 808niner4lyphe on Jul 23, 2013 at 1:52 AM ]