LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 326 users in the forums

Mike Iupati

I coaching on our team is so solid that I have hard time truly assessing the individual talent on this team -- aside from the complete obvious (e.g., Justin Smith, Patrick Willis, etc.)
I would like to keep our offensive line continuity, but his contract is still comes in:

1) Kaep
2) Aldon
3) J. Smith - check
4) A. Davis - check
4) Iupati
5) Crabtree
6) Brown

As long as his contract doesn't interfere with us signing Aldon or Kaep, then I'm all for it. But if we have to prioritize, a once-in-a-generation pass rusher and a franchise QB absolute come before an All Pro G.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I would like to keep our offensive line continuity, but his contract is still comes in:

1) Kaep
2) Aldon
3) J. Smith - check
4) A. Davis - check
4) Iupati
5) Crabtree
6) Brown

As long as his contract doesn't interfere with us signing Aldon or Kaep, then I'm all for it. But if we have to prioritize, a once-in-a-generation pass rusher and a franchise QB absolute come before an All Pro G.

Honestly, I think Aldon Smith will be the hardest to re-sign, dude is gonna want some cash after posting over 50 sacks his first two seasons which is way better then Demarcus Ware.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

1) Kaep
2) Aldon
3) J. Smith - check
4) A. Davis - check
4) Iupati
5) Crabtree
6) Brown

Honestly, I think Aldon Smith will be the hardest to re-sign, dude is gonna want some cash after posting over 50 sacks his first two seasons which is way better then Demarcus Ware.

Rookie - 14.5 + 2 in playoffs
Soph - 19.5
TOTAL: 34 regular season, 36 total

Are you suspecting he'll get 14 sacks this year?

1) Kaep
2) Aldon
3) J. Smith - check
4) A. Davis - check
4) Iupati
5) Crabtree
6) Brown

Soph - 19.5

At least 14!
You draft OLs in the first round, you mean to keep them. Also, Vince Lombardi's famous quote, "You build your lines first"....and he probably would have added ,
"and keep them". This team is great for a bunch of reasons. But look to the lines first, because THAT is where we are great. Once you have that, you just don't say , well , "guess we can't keep Iupati, because we gotta sign Crbs. B.S. That is anti good thought processes. If, IF , a team is LUCKY enough to build a great, in this case, best in the league OL, you keep it together. Iupati is going to be a 49er until he hangs it up, and our coach will see to that. Crbs? Anyone who says that , I recommend these 10 things:
Anquan
Vance,
Vernon
LMJ
Kyle,
Hunter,
Frank
Miller
Celek
Patton
Coach and Trent bent over backwards to get us a bunch of guys who can catch the ball, regardless of position. I also am on record as saying I believe Coach H is going to go the Peyton route this yr and have 7, 8 or 9 guys catch passes every , or most every games. He saw 2 yrs ago when he went to NFCC with just crbs. Didn't work. He saw this yr what happened when we lost Mario, kyle, hunter, and I believe he will alter the way he calls plays to include 8 or so ballcatchers every game. Why? Because if one guy., or two, or 3 go down, you still got plenty that can be ball catchers...and we sorely needed that this past SB.

So no on crbs, yeah, on Iupati, who is here for the duration.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jul 22, 2013 at 3:27 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
You draft OLs in the first round, you mean to keep them. Also, Vince Lombardi's famous quote, "You build your lines first"....and he probably would have added ,
"and keep them". This team is great for a bunch of reasons. But look to the lines first, because THAT is where we are great. Once you have that, you just don't say , well , "guess we can't keep Iupati, because we gotta sign Crbs. B.S. That is anti good thought processes. If, IF , a team is LUCKY enough to build a great, in this case, best in the league OL, you keep it together. Iupati is going to be a 49er until he hangs it up, and our coach will see to that. Crbs? Anyone who says that , I recommend these 10 things:
Anquan
Vance,
Vernon
LMJ
Kyle,
Hunter,
Frank
Miller
Celek
Patton
Coach and Trent bent over backwards to get us a bunch of guys who can catch the ball, regardless of position. I also am on record as saying I believe Coach H is going to go the Peyton route this yr and have 7, 8 or 9 guys catch passes every , or most every games. He saw 2 yrs ago when he went to NFCC with just crbs. Didn't work. He say this yr what happened when we lost Mario, kyle, hunter, and I believe he will alter the way he calls plays to include 8 or so ballcatchers every game. Why? Because if one guy., or two, or 3 go down, you still got plenty that can be ball catchers...and we sorely needed that this past SB.

So no on crbs, yeah, on Iupati, who is here for the duration.

Nice. There's a reason why Alex, Kap, Gore, KHunter and LMJ were all able to succeed when their name was called. That badass O line.

I counted numerous times when the 49ers lined up in their jumbo package and the playcall was a run off right tackle with Iupati pulling and coming through the hole. Easy 2-3 yards to convert a 3rd and short situation. Like taking candy from a baby.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

1) Kaep
2) Aldon
3) J. Smith - check
4) A. Davis - check
4) Iupati
5) Crabtree
6) Brown

Soph - 19.5

Well with improved support around him, he should be in the double digits again this year. Shoot I wouldn't doubt it if the 9ers had two OLB's in the double digits this year.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Iupati ain't going anywhere. You don't let one of the best olinemen in the NFL walk away.

You may be overvaluing Iupati just a bit. Sure, he's a great OL. But at the guard position, I think we could handle a drop from a great player to an average player and still be a super-bowl contender.

I fully expect us to extend Iupati. Guards aren't usually the types of guys that leave super-bowl contenders to get a bigger paycheck from a bottom feeder. We should be able to keep him for $5-6M per year with plenty of guaranteed money. If he insists on getting $7M+, I think we should let him walk.

The offensive line is the reason this entire offense can be as good as it is. The run blocking they do opens up the passing game and play action passing.

The strength of the 49ers on offense is that line. Make no mistake....chipping away at that line is a really, really bad idea.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by blm7754:
Iupati ain't going anywhere. You don't let one of the best olinemen in the NFL walk away.

You may be overvaluing Iupati just a bit. Sure, he's a great OL. But at the guard position, I think we could handle a drop from a great player to an average player and still be a super-bowl contender.

I fully expect us to extend Iupati. Guards aren't usually the types of guys that leave super-bowl contenders to get a bigger paycheck from a bottom feeder. We should be able to keep him for $5-6M per year with plenty of guaranteed money. If he insists on getting $7M+, I think we should let him walk.

My line of thought exactly. We don't need great guards to be the best team in the NFL. Even though every position is very important, i will say that the G position is the least valuable position on offense.

I still want him since he is the best G in football but it's all a numbers game.....

Somebody earlier said it best: You wouldn't allow Larry Allen in his prime to walk, would you?

A drop from a great player to an average player cannot be countenanced. especially on either of the front lines. Now if it were from one great player to another great player, albeit not quite as great, then let's talk. Even then do so advisedly.

I feel that if the Niners don't retain him, it'll be because the coaches feel that he's not as great (future HOFer) as most of us fans think he is. Otherwise they'll find a way.

I think people really undervalue the big uglies up front.

I really don't give a sh*t that he's "only" a guard. Ask Seattle and Minnesota how good Hutch was. he was "only" a guard. Same with Larry Allen. How good was this team when Chilo was a guard? How often did he screw up a play?

So much of the 49ers run game involves Iupati. Pulls, traps....esentially any kind f run you can think of. Iupati has more value to this team than almost any other player on offense. If you think letting him go and replacing him with Looney won't be felt...you are kdding yourselves.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jul 22, 2013 at 4:01 PM ]

I think people really undervalue the big uglies up front.

I really don't give a sh*t that he's "only" a guard. Ask Seattle and Minnesota how good Hutch was. he was "only" a guard. Same with Larry Allen. How good was this team when Chilo was a guard? How often did he screw up a play?

So much of the 49ers run game involves Iupati. Pulls, traps....esentially any kind f run you can think of. Iupati has more value to this team than almost any other player on offense. If you think letting him go and replacing him with Looney won't be felt...you are kdding yourselves.

I agree. I think Iupati is one of those elite level guards that is worth paying.

It only becomes an issue if you have 2 guards looking for monster deals. Similar to NO with Nicks and Evans. Both outstanding players, but to be smart with the cap, you should really only pay one.

Boone is making quite a name for himself. His current contract is a major bargain for us. We may have issues keeping both of him and Iupati long-term, but I hope it happens.
This is our best lineman...

Sometimes people need to drink less during games so they can actually watch what is happening.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Sometimes people need to drink less during games so they can actually watch what is happening.

Keeping Iupati is essential so is keeping Crabtree, Aldon and Kaep. We have built our team with these core guys our success will be keeping our core together and bringing in/grooming for the future. I know people dont believe in Crabtree but he has never been the enigma of the "T.O." porportion in fact he has only gotten better each year and is our first +1000 yr wr since T.O. Even during the A. Smith era he didnt exude the "diva" attitude many of his predecessors at the WR have in the past when they have been working with a marginal QB. I believe we can keep all of the aforementioned players. In Harbaugh and Baalke we trust.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

lol
Share 49ersWebzone