There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mike Iupati

The offensive approach of this team, as it stands, should be maintain an elite OL. With an elite offensive line, they can afford to spend less at RB and WR. The 'only thing' a RB has to do is hit the hole hard, as the run is designed, and fall forward - easy 4 yards. In the passing game, buying Kap an extra second to sit in the pocket is a huge difference. If teams are to blitz, it will most likely be up the gut. Iupati can help a lot here.

That Baalke spent a mid 1st rounder on an offensive guard shows that Baalke values the position from a philosophical point of view. I can see only two reasons why Iupati would end up leaving. First is if Kilgore can step in and be a very good, not just adequate, replacement. I mean Kilgore would need to show pro bowl potential. I have no idea how good Kilgore will be. The other reason is if Iupati asks for a ridiculous contract. Keeping Iupati should be high on the list of priorities.
I don't get it why do some of you want Crabtree gone? I get it, we can't afford everyone but we haven't had a great receiver in a long time and he is finally turning into what we thought he could be
I have no doubt that we want to and will keep Iupati. I acknowledged an alternative scenario earlier but I doubt that we let Iupati leave. We are trending towards paying out to the OL and our front 7 (particularly OLB and ILB). Also we are paying at TE, RB and we will pay the QB. This tells us what our philosophy is and since we have elite talent at these positions that has propelled us to 2 of the finest seasons of anyone in 2011 and 2012 there is no reason to stray away if we don't have to. I think we find a way to pay Kaep, Aldon and Iupati. This season will decide the fate of Crabtree to some extent because of us having potentially 6 picks in the top 100 we may conclude that we can get premium WR in 2014 but it is doubtful we find another Iupati anytime soon
Guards like him don't come along in every draft, he is a once in a decade kind of O-linemen, so pay him.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Guards like him don't come along in every draft, he is a once in a decade kind of O-linemen, so pay him.

Exactly, he could be a first ballot HOF linemen if he keeps going at the rate he's been. -Since he came to town, nobody's stopped Gore off that left side.
Yeah i say keep him, and only keep crabs if he'slooking like he hasnt lost a step. Imagine Lattimore running behind Iupati and staley next year!! awesome!
It'd be a major shock if they don't reward Iupati with a nice contract extension...they've developed one of the best OL's in the league and I seriously doubt they'll do anything to disrupt it. I still say Looney seems like the best replacement for Goodwin next season...Kilgore's good, too, but JL's a beast and could be a bad-ass there.
Iupati ain't going anywhere. You don't let one of the best olinemen in the NFL walk away.
  • Amir
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Iupati ain't going anywhere. You don't let one of the best olinemen in the NFL walk away.

lol this.

IF it came down to it, we signing him over Crabs.

Kap and Aldon are sure locks to get resigned.
Guard Mike Iupati. The big left guard has recovered from the arthroscopic shoulder surgery he had this offseason and will be ready for the first practice Thursday. There had been talk about a contract extension for Iupati. The plan right now, however, is for him to play through this season and address the contract at the end of the year. If Iupati has another Pro Bowl season, you have to wonder if he'll demand Carl Nicks-like money and if the 49ers will go that high for a guard.

Joe Looney. The 2012 draft pick was injured to start his rookie season and never played a snap. This is essentially the first year we'll see Looney at full strength. If he's impressive it could prompt the 49ers to say goodbye to Iupati. Looney also has taken snaps at center.

-- Matt Barrows

Categories: players

Tags: A.J. Jenkins, Colin Kaepernick, Marcus Lattimore, Mike Iupati

Facebook

StumbleUpon

Twitter

Email

Posted by Matt Barrows
1:43 PM | 7 Comments

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.
About Comments

Reader comments on Sacbee.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Sacramento Bee. If you see an objectionable comment, click the "report abuse" button below it. We will delete comments containing inappropriate links, obscenities, hate speech, and personal attacks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. See more about comments here.

Like Dislike

Showing 7 comments
StonerLab
The most compelling competition in TC this year will be WR, OLB & CB. You can add in the competition between RB's Jewel Hampton & Dixon because 1 of them will not be on the Active Roster come September.

Let it begin!

Like Reply Today 06:42 AM Report Abuse

Matthew McHoes
The title of this article is misleading

Like Reply Today 06:37 AM Report Abuse

hackphx
Of all people 9er fans should know that stopwatch speed has little to do with production. Acceleration and maintaining speed out of the break are more important than twitch in football. I never saw anyone catch the GOAT and I doubt many will catch Patton. If anyone can mentor AJ on the physical aspects of WR its Boldin. This is make or break for Lockette. It's not about his roommate. I see a breakout for LMJ. This is a premier talent not a 3rd string/STer. He can score from anywhere on the field. Who is going to cover him a LB? The same one who is supposed to be spying on Kap? While we're at it, that DE who is supposed to leverage the outside to stop Kap on the read option is lost as a pass rusher, especially with Staley and Davis. If McD can in line block, hook a LB on a sweep, chip against the pass rush, Vernon Davis will have a ProBowl year, and our 3rd down conversion will be top 5. The math has changed for defensive coordinators. Against the 9ers they have to account for everybody, some twice.

Like Reply Today 06:32 AM 1 Like Report Abuse

Erik Burruss
I agree - LMJ looks special. Fast, and some of the best balance I've seen on a back. He takes hits from MUCH larger guys, and just seems to bounce off them, and accelerate back up to speed almost instantly.

As for the rest - I agree on your selection of AJJ, Patton, or Lockette (especially after Williams went on PUP), but I have no idea which of them will work out. I'm rooting for Lockette to finally have a breakout season, just because those measurables are insane. If he could become a bona-fide deep threat, that would be truly special. As for AJJ, I'm not sure where he fits. Kyle Williams has looked good when healthy, so he has to fight him for the slot role, and I don't think AJJ has the strength to be an outside receiver. I hope I'm wrong, though. Patton, on the other hand, I think will develop into a solid WR2. He's got the physicality and the will to succeed. He's been surprising people all his life.

Nice post!

Like Reply Today 08:05 AM in reply to hackphx 1 Like Report Abuse

Darren Riley
I understand if Crabtree goes on IR before the final cuts to 53 he has to clear waivers. If this is correct I can't see Crabtree going on IR in the next week. There is no way the Niners would expose Crabtree to the other 31 teams that way. Nice breakdown of the offence and it should make the pre-season games interesting to watch....looking forward to your predictions for the secondary shake down and OLB

Like Reply Yesterday 11:32 PM Report Abuse

StonerLab
I think you're confused,

Crabtree is under contract with the 49ers so there's no "waiver process". If the 49ers were to take him off IR at any point during the season they would then have to cut somebody from the Active Roster at that time in order to make room for him.

Like Reply Today 06:38 AM in reply to Darren Riley Report Abuse

kuhydb
Defense?

Like Reply Yesterday 11:13 PM Report Abuse

M Subscribe by email S RSS

Real-time updating is enabled. (Pause)
Login
Add New Comment

blog comments powered by Disqus Subscribe to this blog's feed

MATTHEW BARROWS Matt was born in Blacksburg, Va., and attended the University of Virginia. He graduated in 1995, went to Northwestern for a journalism degree a year later, and got his first job at a South Carolina daily in 1997. He joined The Bee as a Metro reporter in 1999 and started covering the 49ers in 2003. His favorite player of all time is Darrell Green.

E-mailRead recent articles

Recent Entries 90 Niners: Every-player review of the 49ers' training camp roster49ers place eight players, including two wide receivers, on injury listsKaepernick king of summer jersey sales49ers knew about Wright's arrest before trading for him49ers continue to load up at cornerback, trade for troubled Eric WrightGoodell will review Brooks' case; is he waiting for 49ers to act first?No charges to be filed against 49ers' Ahmad BrooksBattle stations! Full cornerback cupboard may be bare next seasonHarbaugh's list: Coach warned players about appearing in summer police blottersBattle stations! Scott Tolzien must fight -- again -- to keep his job

Seen on Twitter Follow @mattbarrows on Twitter

Matt BarrowsTweets from @mattbarrows

Matt (that's me) covers the 49ers for The Sacramento Bee.

1hMatt Barrows @mattbarrows90 Niners: Here's Part 1 of an every-player review of the 49ers' training camp roster. ... t.co/hrRLZiBKG95 retweets 3 favorites
1hMatt Barrows @mattbarrows#49ers showed some interest in WR Laurent Robinson when he was a FA in '12. He's got visits w/ Jets, Pats, Lions. #49ers not on the list.4 retweets
1hMatt Barrows @mattbarrowsRT @AdamSchefter: Jets are working out former Colts WR Austin Collie today, per team source. Collie also has worked out for Pats and Niners.356 retweets
17hMatt Barrows @mattbarrowsUm? Um? Um? Don't click if you're eating ... RT @AnthonyDavis76 t.co/LLhzXXhY8j2 retweets
19hMatt Barrows @mattbarrows90 Niners: Every-player review of the 49ers' training camp roster, Part I. #49ers #trainingcamp t.co/hrRLZiBKG911 retweets 15 favorites
load more

FOLLOW US | Get more from sacbee.com

Tag Cloud 49ersA.J. JenkinsAhmad BrooksAldon SmithAlex SmithAnquan BoldinB.J. DanielsCharles WoodsonColin KaepernickCraig DahlDashon Goldsonfree agencyJim HarbaughJustin SmithMarcus LattimoreMichael CrabtreeNFLNnamdi AsomughaSan Francisco 49ersTank Carradine

Categories

More on sacbee.com powered by Lingospot 49ers Blog: 90 Niners: Every-player review of the 49ers' training camp roster 17 hours, 35 minutes ago
49ers notes: If the NFL jersey's a fit, it's likely a Kap 1 day, 8 hours ago
49ers blog: Two receivers among players team places on injury lists 1 day, 17 hours ago

July 2013 Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Monthly Archives

Ask a question Please use the form below to submit your question. Because there is a 100-word limit for questions, a word counter is located directly beneath the box where you enter the your question.

Name: City: State: E-mail: 49ers Question: Your letter contains of 100 words allowed. Count words Your IP Address has been recorded as 152.52.255.247 and will be included with this submission.

sacramento connect powered by Lingospot Rios Faces Deadly Infection 2 months, 3 weeks ago
LoForte hopes to lead Franklin back to playoffs 4 months, 1 week ago
49ers Lose Super Bowl 34-31 5 months, 2 weeks ago
49ers Punch Their Tickets to the Super Bowl 6 months ago

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/07/90-niners-every-player-review-of-the-49ers-training-camp-roster.html#storylink=cpy
It's not that anyone doesn't want Crabtree. It's a numbers thing. I forgot about Aldon. IMO, their priority list for signing and retaining is:

1. Kaepernick
2. Aldon Smith
3. Mike Iupati
4. Crabtree
5. T. Brown

You may be overvaluing Iupati just a bit. Sure, he's a great OL. But at the guard position, I think we could handle a drop from a great player to an average player and still be a super-bowl contender.

I fully expect us to extend Iupati. Guards aren't usually the types of guys that leave super-bowl contenders to get a bigger paycheck from a bottom feeder. We should be able to keep him for $5-6M per year with plenty of guaranteed money. If he insists on getting $7M+, I think we should let him walk.
Originally posted by blm7754:

You may be overvaluing Iupati just a bit. Sure, he's a great OL. But at the guard position, I think we could handle a drop from a great player to an average player and still be a super-bowl contender.

I fully expect us to extend Iupati. Guards aren't usually the types of guys that leave super-bowl contenders to get a bigger paycheck from a bottom feeder. We should be able to keep him for $5-6M per year with plenty of guaranteed money. If he insists on getting $7M+, I think we should let him walk.

My line of thought exactly. We don't need great guards to be the best team in the NFL. Even though every position is very important, i will say that the G position is the least valuable position on offense.

I still want him since he is the best G in football but it's all a numbers game.....
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by blm7754:

My line of thought exactly. We don't need great guards to be the best team in the NFL. Even though every position is very important, i will say that the G position is the least valuable position on offense.

I still want him since he is the best G in football but it's all a numbers game.....

Somebody earlier said it best: You wouldn't allow Larry Allen in his prime to walk, would you?

A drop from a great player to an average player cannot be countenanced. especially on either of the front lines. Now if it were from one great player to another great player, albeit not quite as great, then let's talk. Even then do so advisedly.

I feel that if the Niners don't retain him, it'll be because the coaches feel that he's not as great (future HOFer) as most of us fans think he is. Otherwise they'll find a way.
Iupati is a must sign IMO. I'm usually the one saying let the expensive FA go, but the Niners' bread & butter is the ability to control the clock with the best OL n the game (that and a great pass rush).

I could've gone either way with Brooks & Rogers when they were FAs. I don't think the Niners should re-sign Crabtree when he's a FA. But they gotta keep that OL dominant.