LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Mike Iupati

Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I thought about this and I am sure iupati agent is pushing for Mike to be the highest paid OG in the league. Maybe we say not here because we may have another Alex Boone somewhere on this roster. Long term we may not be able to pay all the OL at the top of the league and keep the team together. We have a lot of high picks next year and maybe we plan to use them replacing pricy free agent defectors and gain a 3rd rd comp for him. Just think we picked AD before Iupati that year because we considered positional value over the fact that Mike was the consensus best G. I am not surprised that we locked up AD first as a result
Agree 100%. He can walk and receive a compensatory 3rd for him. Looney or Kilgore will take over or a high draft pick.

CK7
Aldon
both higher priority for FA.

Seattle did not re sign Hutchinson, and he left for Minnesota and did nothing until AP came to the vikings. Guards like IUpati are special, but you cannot break the bank for a guard.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Pay him and let Crabtree go and Carlos Rogers if necessary.
This right here! Let's be real you wouldn't let larry allen go in his prime would you. No No you dam well wouldn't... And we shouldn't with mike. Crabtree is coming off a injury, carlos is getting old, and if kap is a legit franchise qb like tom brady is we don't need elite wr to catch the ball we need guys who can block for a hour and give colin time to throw or open up holes to run.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Are you suggesting 20 mil is enough to sign Iupati, Kap and Crabtree? Or do you mean when paired with other players who we let walk?

Iupati and Kaepernick and MAYBE Crabtree. The most lucrative guard contract in the NFL was about a $5mil cap hit in its first year. If they can get away with about an $8 mil cap hit in the first year of a Kaepernick contract, that would still leave another $7 mil for Crabtree. It's possible, but agree that it's not probable because there will be other contracts to work out as well.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
This right here! Let's be real you wouldn't let larry allen go in his prime would you. No No you dam well wouldn't... And we shouldn't with mike. Crabtree is coming off a injury, carlos is getting old, and if kap is a legit franchise qb like tom brady is we don't need elite wr to catch the ball we need guys who can block for a hour and give colin time to throw or open up holes to run.

That's it. Iupati and Kaep > Crabtree and Carlos Rogers.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Are you suggesting 20 mil is enough to sign Iupati, Kap and Crabtree? Or do you mean when paired with other players who we let walk?

Iupati and Kaepernick and MAYBE Crabtree. The most lucrative guard contract in the NFL was about a $5mil cap hit in its first year. If they can get away with about an $8 mil cap hit in the first year of a Kaepernick contract, that would still leave another $7 mil for Crabtree. It's possible, but agree that it's not probable because there will be other contracts to work out as well.

I don't like the idea of super back loading our big contracts. It helps you keep players in the short term, but hurts your team badly in the long run. We will be fine if we just keep our core and draft well.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

That's it. Iupati and Kaep > Crabtree and Carlos Rogers.

That's fine, but Iupati, Crabtree and Carlos Rodgers combined make less then what Kap will ask for.
I'm curious what AB honestly thinks the 49ers can do? The way we're set up now, can we definitely keep more of our key core players - will we have enough space to sign long-term Iupati, Kap, Crabtree, Aldon Smith, and Crabtree? Some beat writers don't think so (especially Maiocco)...they think Crabtree is probably gone. If I had to pick three of these four, I'd say extend Iupati, Kap, and A. Smith. However, if we could somehow figure out how to keep Crabtree (assuming he fully recovers from his injury)...he was really starting to become a top-of-the-line WR but more than that, he really fits into what we do (blocks well), is clutch when we need a big third down converted, and has really built up chemistry with Kap.
That's fine, but Iupati, Crabtree and Carlos Rodgers combined make less then what Kap will ask for.

I'm not sure Kap is a Flacco-type who will knowingly ruin his team's cap situation for years to come for a few extra million in the short term. He seems more like a team guy than that to me. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

I'm not sure Kap is a Flacco-type who will knowingly ruin his team's cap situation for years to come for a few extra million in the short term. He seems more like a team guy than that to me. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

dudes getting paid 740k this year. lol pretty sure he's gonna want his money
I think the thread starter wanted replies.
Well you got it buddy.

Even if you discount every Super Bowl winning quarterback:

In 2014 and beyond:
Romo is over 20mil per
Staford is over 20 mil per

Every "franchise" quarterback is going to make 20+ mil per in 2014 and beyond unless they're still on their rookie deal. It's just what the situation is. NFL contracts are like computers, by the time you get one, it's already obsolete.
  • thl408
The offensive approach of this team, as it stands, should be maintain an elite OL. With an elite offensive line, they can afford to spend less at RB and WR. The 'only thing' a RB has to do is hit the hole hard, as the run is designed, and fall forward - easy 4 yards. In the passing game, buying Kap an extra second to sit in the pocket is a huge difference. If teams are to blitz, it will most likely be up the gut. Iupati can help a lot here.

That Baalke spent a mid 1st rounder on an offensive guard shows that Baalke values the position from a philosophical point of view. I can see only two reasons why Iupati would end up leaving. First is if Kilgore can step in and be a very good, not just adequate, replacement. I mean Kilgore would need to show pro bowl potential. I have no idea how good Kilgore will be. The other reason is if Iupati asks for a ridiculous contract. Keeping Iupati should be high on the list of priorities.
I don't get it why do some of you want Crabtree gone? I get it, we can't afford everyone but we haven't had a great receiver in a long time and he is finally turning into what we thought he could be
I have no doubt that we want to and will keep Iupati. I acknowledged an alternative scenario earlier but I doubt that we let Iupati leave. We are trending towards paying out to the OL and our front 7 (particularly OLB and ILB). Also we are paying at TE, RB and we will pay the QB. This tells us what our philosophy is and since we have elite talent at these positions that has propelled us to 2 of the finest seasons of anyone in 2011 and 2012 there is no reason to stray away if we don't have to. I think we find a way to pay Kaep, Aldon and Iupati. This season will decide the fate of Crabtree to some extent because of us having potentially 6 picks in the top 100 we may conclude that we can get premium WR in 2014 but it is doubtful we find another Iupati anytime soon
Guards like him don't come along in every draft, he is a once in a decade kind of O-linemen, so pay him.
Share 49ersWebzone