There are 164 users in the forums

Mike Iupati

Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Iupati is Hall of Fame material....you resign him and don't think twice about it.

this.

He is Hall of Fame material. Can't let this guy walk.
Breaking up that side of the line would be a mistake. It's what Seattle did by letting Hutchinson go.
Hes a Vandal. Sign the man!
The sky will not fall.

People in the Zone were saying we couldn't keep both Willis and Navarro and lo & behold Baalke did it.

He'll continue to keep it together and Iupati will be resigned.

I think Crabbs will be gone, we know Whittner is gone after the season or sooner, Carlos will probably hot the road and Trent. Paarage will work their magic and sign Iupati and other deserving players.
In the era of the NFL salary cap, tough decisions have to be made. It is not an indictment against any player's ability. It would be nice to have hall of fame players at every position but no team can afford it. The question becomes which position is easier to replace. I happen to think guard is is one of the easier positions to replace. Which of the 22 starter positions is easiest in your mind to replace?
[ Edited by 60sfan on Jul 21, 2013 at 12:51 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Pay him and let Crabtree go and Carlos Rogers if necessary.

Everyone that we have resigned to extensions has taken less than full market value to stay with this organization. Iupati is no different. Good call, San Diego.
Originally posted by 60sfan:
In the era of the NFL salary cap, tough decisions have to be made. It is not an indictment against any player's ability. It would be nice to have hall of fame players at every position but no team can afford it. The question becomes which position is easier to replace. I happen to think guard is is one of the easier positions to replace. Which of the 22 starter positions is easiest in your mind to replace?

I actually don't think that's the question. The question is, when you have a HoF "type" of player, do you let him walk away thinking you can replace that kind of quality, or do you find a way to sign him? IMO, you find a way to sign him long-term and build around him. Kap, Aldon and Iupati are the types of players you invest in and build the team around. Cully might fit into that category too depending on what he does this year. Worse case, you franchise one of these guys (probably Iupati) for a few years and sign the others (Kap/Aldon) to long-term deals.

Crabs (who is definitely coming in to his own) is the one guy who we could let walk and be ok. This year will go a long way towards proving that out as well, as some of the young guys get to develop in his absence.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We need to keep Kap's blindside protection intact.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jul 21, 2013 at 1:21 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I actually don't think that's the question. The question is, when you have a HoF "type" of player, do you let him walk away thinking you can replace that kind of quality, or do you find a way to sign him? IMO, you find a way to sign him long-term and build around him. Kap, Aldon and Iupati are the types of players you invest in and build the team around. Cully might fit into that category too depending on what he does this year. Worse case, you franchise one of these guys (probably Iupati) for a few years and sign the others (Kap/Aldon) to long-term deals.

Crabs (who is definitely coming in to his own) is the one guy who we could let walk and be ok. This year will go a long way towards proving that out as well, as some of the young guys get to develop in his absence.

Point taken. Thing is, you have to have a franchise QB to compete and a great pass rusher is a must. I think there are certain positions like these, that make up great teams. It's not mandatory that you have a HOF guard. I would sacrifice having a HOF guard for a HOF QB or a HOF pass rusher. So, I think decisions do have to be made.

If you were the GM, would you let Crab walk or might you trade him for a possible 1st rounder?
[ Edited by 60sfan on Jul 21, 2013 at 2:07 PM ]
i dont wanna see Crabtree go

If you want Kaep to succeed, you sign Iupati.
if the talent of WR=G, you easily pay the WR

However, Iupati>Crabtree, so in this case, i rather keep iupati than Crabs. The thing i don't like about Iupati is that he holds a little more than my taste.
I think Iupati is going to be easier to sign then people think. Guy comes from very little money and SF is as close as you can get in the NFL to your family and friends still living in the Samoan islands. He doesn't seem like the type to want the label of being the highest paid at the position. All just a hunch of course since I don't know the guy
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
To call Iupati HOF material at this point is absolutely ludicrous. He's outstanding, yes, but has a LONG way to go.
Originally posted by SaksV:
To call Iupati HOF material at this point is absolutely ludicrous. He's outstanding, yes, but has a LONG way to go.

give him another 7 yrs to determine this.

Willis is knocking on the door, doe.
Share 49ersWebzone