There are 84 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mike Iupati

Originally posted by gold49digger:
Why does everyone assume Crabtree won't resign? I know the holdout won't help his cause but I think he has matured since.

I think they franchise him should he decide to try for huge money, even for multiple seasons.
Yes.... Now Davis and hopefully Iupati will be soon as well. Next up is Boone.

Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by Mookster:
And don't forget that Boldin is a one year deal so his $6mil is available in 2014 to pay for another one of our key guys. Locking up Iupati, Davis and Staley on long term deals is huge! Hopefully when Boone's turn comes he remembers that the Niners were the only team willing to take a chance on a guy with enormous talent but whose life was a train wreck. Nice to see him turn his life around and kudos to the Niners for taking the chance and backing him for 3 years as a PS player.

I'm really hoping that Baalke can turn 3 or 4 of this years picks into higher choices in next years draft so we can keep a steady influx of young and cheap talent while not needing to over pay for mid to late career vets to fill holes (ie Goldston, Sopoaga). We should also do well in compensatory picks next year with the loss of Goldston who should grade as one of this years top FAs.
Staley is already locked up until 2017
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Why does everyone assume Crabtree won't resign? I know the holdout won't help his cause but I think he has matured since.

I think they franchise him should he decide to try for huge money, even for multiple seasons.

I don't know, franchising receivers can be expensive. I know he had a very good season but it wasn't elite, in my view.
Agree English - definitely NOT elite.
Originally posted by Mookster:
And don't forget that Boldin is a one year deal so his $6mil is available in 2014 to pay for another one of our key guys. Locking up Iupati, Davis and Staley on long term deals is huge! Hopefully when Boone's turn comes he remembers that the Niners were the only team willing to take a chance on a guy with enormous talent but whose life was a train wreck. Nice to see him turn his life around and kudos to the Niners for taking the chance and backing him for 3 years as a PS player.

I'm really hoping that Baalke can turn 3 or 4 of this years picks into higher choices in next years draft so we can keep a steady influx of young and cheap talent while not needing to over pay for mid to late career vets to fill holes (ie Goldston, Sopoaga). We should also do well in compensatory picks next year with the loss of Goldston who should grade as one of this years top FAs.

Originally posted by Gore_21:
I'd call it a pretty damn successful offseason.

-Extended Anthony Davis Through 2019, Iupati Will Probably Be the Same
-Traded Alex Smith for a top of the 2nd round pick and another 2nd (or 3rd) next year
-Trade for a Top #2 WR For a Late 6 - Cost is Only 6 mil
-Replaced RJF 22 Mil, Sopoaga 12 Mil with Dorsey 6 Mil and Williams 3.2 Mil (Minimal Perfornance Lost at a Fraction of the Cost)
-Restructured Two Players We Need In Haralson 1.3 Mil and Manningham 1.8 Mi (Both Players Cut 50%, Saving 3.1 Mil Total)
-Likely Fix the ST with Dawson, Skuta, Dahl and possibly Moore (Retained Brock)
-Added Asomugha for 1.35 Mil, 3 Mil Max
-Traded For Backup QB w/ Experience (Moved down 9 spots from end of 5th to early 6 + Late 7. Using Draft Chart Value it equals to Mid 7)

Both posts spot on and agree.

For everyone worried about losing too many key players with these current extensions, think of it this way:

Would you rather have,

1) The #1 OL from LT to RT (only Goodwin is over 28yrs old), a Top 3 pass rusher, and Top 5 QB under 25yrs old
or
2) Top 20 WR, Top 20 CB, Top 3 pass rusher, and Top 5 QB under 25yrs old

We are a ball control team, with a run-oriented offense with a great defense. I'm not sure many of you remember the years after the Niners got rid of Derrick Deese, Ray Brown, and Jeremy Newberry all in one year and our best OL was Matt Willig (a backup @ best). We will have an offensive line for years to come that will be able to protect our Top 5 quarterback, who we know will be commanding a high salary. Also, Does anyone remember who we had as our top players after Andre Carter/Julian Peterson left? Derrick Smith, Nate Clements, and Melvin Oliver (Not throwing Ulbrich into this b/c he was one of my favorite players)! Yes, we had BY as well, but we showed that without a pass rusher that our CBs couldn't cover and our LBs couldn't handle the second-level pressure. Pass rusher is vital to make the rest of the defense function smoothly, which is why Aldon will get a big pay day as well.

Overall, much rather have the OL to protect our QB and set up our run game for the next 5-7 years (which will have Staley @ 34yrs, Iupati and Boone @ 32yrs, and AD @ 30yrs) compared to having a Top 20 WR in Crabs and Top 20-25 CB in Brown
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
I don't know, franchising receivers can be expensive. I know he had a very good season but it wasn't elite, in my view.

agree. i want to see what he does in back to back years before i declare him to be an elite wide out in the nfl. NO that does mean I hate him. lets just see what he does this coming year and like all others,, the niners will afix a price tag to him and will not over pay or get into a pissing war for him.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
For everyone worried about losing too many key players with these current extensions, think of it this way:

Would you rather have,

1) The #1 OL from LT to RT (only Goodwin is over 28yrs old), a Top 3 pass rusher, and Top 5 QB under 25yrs old
or
2) Top 20 WR, Top 20 CB, Top 3 pass rusher, and Top 5 QB under 25yrs old

We are a ball control team, with a run-oriented offense with a great defense. I'm not sure many of you remember the years after the Niners got rid of Derrick Deese, Ray Brown, and Jeremy Newberry all in one year and our best OL was Matt Willig (a backup @ best). We will have an offensive line for years to come that will be able to protect our Top 5 quarterback, who we know will be commanding a high salary. Also, Does anyone remember who we had as our top players after Andre Carter/Julian Peterson left? Derrick Smith, Nate Clements, and Melvin Oliver (Not throwing Ulbrich into this b/c he was one of my favorite players)! Yes, we had BY as well, but we showed that without a pass rusher that our CBs couldn't cover and our LBs couldn't handle the second-level pressure. Pass rusher is vital to make the rest of the defense function smoothly, which is why Aldon will get a big pay day as well.

Overall, much rather have the OL to protect our QB and set up our run game for the next 5-7 years (which will have Staley @ 34yrs, Iupati and Boone @ 32yrs, and AD @ 30yrs) compared to having a Top 20 WR in Crabs and Top 20-25 CB in Brown
of course this is the truth
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Agree English - definitely NOT elite.

+1

I don't think Crabtree is close to deserving the Franchise WR tag which will be somewhere around $10 to $11 million. Even if he was I would rather spread that cash around to Kaepernick, Boone (yes keep the OL intact) and Aldon Smith and look to drafting another WR in 2014. IMO Crabtree is a $7.5/yr WR - younger and better than Boldin - but not nearly the elite payer deserving of the tag.
Another point about Crabs.

Our FO and coaches must know what he is like as a person and have a better than rough idea on how future negotiations will play out.

I'm certain if they feel it will be a LONGGGGGGGGG process full of headaches that they'll look to cover that base through the draft or in other ways.
Iupati and Aldon should be higher priorities than Crabtree. But we need to make a serious, serious effort to keep all three.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/07/mike-iupati-to-miss-otas-after-shoulder-surgery/
relax guys, it was just a scrotal tuck.
yawn
he sure did time it so he misses off season team activities.