There are 117 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mike Iupati

Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Obviously our OL makes our RB and our QB better. I can see why the 49ers want to keep these guys together. They believe that with Kaep and this OL they can plug and play RB and WR.

To a certain extent I agree. No player is plug and play but I think with our offense we can be a little more adaptable then others that rely heavier on one style of player then another.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
I wonder how many fans will have a mental collapse if we let crabtree walk for any reason....

Probably not that many. Aldon Smith is the only absolute keeper at this point - He's now a proven, elite pass rusher.
To a certain extent I agree. No player is plug and play but I think with our offense we can be a little more adaptable then others that rely heavier on one style of player then another.

Yes, it is starting to seem that they have identified their core players to be the QB, OL, LBs, TE, and P. They figure to fill in either through free agency or the draft for the other positions. I don't want to lose a guy like Crabtree though. He is becoming special
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
The difference is Iupati is an elite talent, where Sopoaga is a serviceable starter. Hopefully we can sign him, but I don't think it's wise to overspend. It'll be tricky for sure.

I dont thin Iupati will be difficult im more concerned with crabtree. and i wasnt comparing the two i just didnt expect soap to get the deal he did.

i think crabtree is a goner, we need to re-sign aldon and kap
Why does everyone assume Crabtree won't resign? I know the holdout won't help his cause but I think he has matured since.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i think crabtree is a goner, we need to re-sign aldon and kap

We will resign Kaep and Aldon, unless we lose sanity
Originally posted by susweel:
salary cap hell here we come

Sus

You know I thought the same thing to myself...but I really don't think that will happen this time. Here's why...

First off, we have a lot of true blue team guys. I really do not believe this is a team comprised of me first players who are only looking for their next pay day. And if there are those types then the 49ers simply let them walk (see Dashon Goldson).

Second, I think we are all forgetting that these contracts are structured so that it eventually reflects the spike in the salary cap number that is inevitably coming. Paraag was hired to his current position mainly to combat this potential issue that many teams face when they just hand out big time deals. I feel a lot better about the deals the 49ers hand out now as opposed to the deals teams like the Cowboys, Raiders or Jets hand out.

Finally, the winning aspect will always help you maintain top talent at bargain levels. Team first guys want to be a part of a winning atmosphere, they wait their whole careers sometimes to play for a winner. This team is so stacked that I truly believe the guys in the locker room don't exactly mind being paid a bit less to keep the general core together so they can be successful for as long as they can or need to.

I hope Iupati is resigned, and then I hope Ray Mac is next...he's been a stallwart for us since the beginning of 2011.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
My expectation is that Iupati will not be signed until after the 49er draft. They will want to budget for draft picks first, and then sign Iupati to a deal that gives them enough cap room to sign their draft picks.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Why does everyone assume Crabtree won't resign? I know the holdout won't help his cause but I think he has matured since.

Im hoping for that truly, but I just have a feeling he wont be reasonable. I really hope Im wrong though.
Originally posted by pahlerbj:

Damn that sofa looks so tiny
Originally posted by pahlerbj:

Damn that sofa looks so tiny

That whole room seriously looks like its closing in on them.
And don't forget that Boldin is a one year deal so his $6mil is available in 2014 to pay for another one of our key guys. Locking up Iupati, Davis and Staley on long term deals is huge! Hopefully when Boone's turn comes he remembers that the Niners were the only team willing to take a chance on a guy with enormous talent but whose life was a train wreck. Nice to see him turn his life around and kudos to the Niners for taking the chance and backing him for 3 years as a PS player.

I'm really hoping that Baalke can turn 3 or 4 of this years picks into higher choices in next years draft so we can keep a steady influx of young and cheap talent while not needing to over pay for mid to late career vets to fill holes (ie Goldston, Sopoaga). We should also do well in compensatory picks next year with the loss of Goldston who should grade as one of this years top FAs.

Originally posted by Gore_21:
I'd call it a pretty damn successful offseason.

-Extended Anthony Davis Through 2019, Iupati Will Probably Be the Same
-Traded Alex Smith for a top of the 2nd round pick and another 2nd (or 3rd) next year
-Trade for a Top #2 WR For a Late 6 - Cost is Only 6 mil
-Replaced RJF 22 Mil, Sopoaga 12 Mil with Dorsey 6 Mil and Williams 3.2 Mil (Minimal Perfornance Lost at a Fraction of the Cost)
-Restructured Two Players We Need In Haralson 1.3 Mil and Manningham 1.8 Mi (Both Players Cut 50%, Saving 3.1 Mil Total)
-Likely Fix the ST with Dawson, Skuta, Dahl and possibly Moore (Retained Brock)
-Added Asomugha for 1.35 Mil, 3 Mil Max
-Traded For Backup QB w/ Experience (Moved down 9 spots from end of 5th to early 6 + Late 7. Using Draft Chart Value it equals to Mid 7)
Originally posted by Mookster:
And don't forget that Boldin is a one year deal so his $6mil is available in 2014 to pay for another one of our key guys. Locking up Iupati, Davis and Staley on long term deals is huge! Hopefully when Boone's turn comes he remembers that the Niners were the only team willing to take a chance on a guy with enormous talent but whose life was a train wreck. Nice to see him turn his life around and kudos to the Niners for taking the chance and backing him for 3 years as a PS player.

I'm really hoping that Baalke can turn 3 or 4 of this years picks into higher choices in next years draft so we can keep a steady influx of young and cheap talent while not needing to over pay for mid to late career vets to fill holes (ie Goldston, Sopoaga). We should also do well in compensatory picks next year with the loss of Goldston who should grade as one of this years top FAs.
Staley is already locked up until 2017