There are 92 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Official Trent Baalke Apreciation Thread

Originally posted by juycho:
Originally posted by BayArea:
How did Jed York manage to put together such an awesome group of coaches and front office? It all happened so fast too it came out of left field. I thought the 49ers were in a slump they wouldn't soon get out of. Bravo.

He leaves the coaching to the coaches and does all the scouting. The man is a genius
Jed, I'm going to higher the Gm than the coach...
Trent you fill in....
Trent says. I want Jim, the fans want JIm.
Jed, Okay i f**king want Slim Jim too, but this isn't the time we have to get a coach.
Later That Day....
Jim. Hi guys, great looking food, lets eat.
Jim after eating...
That was great, I've got all my coachs picked out, and this is the most complete roster, we need a pass rusher. Cb, Kicker.
Trent, QB.
Jim. Alex.
Trent and York. bahahaha
York, i'll pay you're f**king amazing at jokes.
What a masterful job he has done since he took over.
If this year's draft class shines too, I'm sold. He's been great so far, but I want to make sure he didn't just get lucky last season before I give him all the credit.

On a side note, if Singletary or Nolan was sill coach the team, Baalkes's personnel decisions would probably be questionable because the coaches never would've gotten the production out of the players. IMO, Harbaugh is the bigger factor. Baalke is doing a great job though.
Originally posted by strickac:
On a side note, if Singletary or Nolan was sill coach the team, Baalkes's personnel decisions would probably be questionable because the coaches never would've gotten the production out of the players. IMO, Harbaugh is the bigger factor. Baalke is doing a great job though.

It goes hand in hand. A GM needs his HC to get production out of the players, and a HC needs his GM to give him the right tools. Neither guy is the bigger factor. Our success comes from both Baalke & Harbaugh making their relationship work.
kap and Jenkins are busts I think we should fire Baalke.
No appreciation here

AJ Jenkins

Nuff said
Where will this thread go when he gets rid of a fan favorite?
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Jun 19, 2012 at 5:44 PM ]
Originally posted by ads_2006:
No appreciation here

AJ Jenkins

Nuff said

susweel, is that you???
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
No appreciation here

AJ Jenkins

Nuff said

susweel, is that you???

yes he's one of my many screen names.
Nice piece by Cohn (I know, I know) but here is a nice synopsis of Baalke's work from his perspective. I think it's also critical to note his eye for talent and using the Bill Walsh tactic of letting older/certain players go while developing others for their place (and recognizing upside/talent).

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/06/inside-the-49ers/taking-stock-of-trent-baalke/

OFFENSE
Mike Iupati – 17th pick in the first round of the 2010 draft. Pro Bowl alternate in 2011.
Randy Moss – signed in 2012 to a one-year, $2.5 million contract. Currently atop the WR depth chart at split end.
Braylon Edwards – signed in August 2011 to a one-year, $3.5 million contract. Waived in December 2011.
Mario Manningham – signed in 2012 to a two-year, $7.375 million contract. Played mostly with the second team in minicamp.
Kyle Williams – 206th pick in 2010. Competing with Manningham to be the No. 3 receiver.
Anthony Davis – 11th pick in 2010. 20 sacks allowed and 11 false starts in 32 career starts.
Jonathan Goodwin – signed in 2011 to a three-year, $10.9 million contract. Pro Bowl Alternate in 2011.
Colin Kaepernick – 36th pick in 2011. Threw five passes his rookie season.
A.J. Jenkins – 30th pick in 2011. Competing with five other wide receivers for playing time.
LaMichael James – 61st pick in 2012. Competing with four other RBs for carries.Kendall Hunter – 115th pick in 2011. 4.2 yards per carry on 112 carries last season as a change-of-pace back.
Brandon Jacobs – signed in 2012 to a one-year, $1.575 million contract. Competing to become the goal line back.
Anthony Dixon – 173rd pick in 2010. 3.3 yards per carry in the NFL. Fighting for a roster spot.Josh Johnson – signed in 2012 to a two-year, $2.115 million contract. Competing to become the backup QB.
Ronald Johnson – 182nd pick in 2011. Cut at the end of training camp.
Daniel Kilgore – 163rd pick in 2011. Currently the primary backup at center and guard.
Nate Byham – 182nd pick in 2010. Tore his ACL in 2011 training camp.
Joe Looney – 117th pick in 2012. Injured foot in Senior Bowl.
Bruce Miller – pick in the 2011 draft. Pro Bowl alternate in 2011.
Michael Person – 239th pick in 2011. Backup offensive lineman.
Jason Slowey – 199th pick in 2012. Backup offensive lineman.
Brian Westbrook – signed in 2010 to a one-year, $1.25 million contract. Gained 490 yards from scrimmage in 14 games, and then retired after the season.

DEFENSE
Aldon Smith – 7th pick in 2011. Pro Football Writers of America Defensie Rookie of the Year. Set 49ers rookie sack record with 14.
NaVorro Bowman – 91st pick in 2010. First-team All-Pro in 2011.
Carlos Rogers – signed in 2011 to a one-year, $5 million contract. Pro Bowl in 2011, 2nd team All-Pro. Re-signed in 2012 to a four-year, $29.3 million contract.
Donte Whitner – signed in 2011 to a three-year, $11.75 million contract. Leader of the secondary.
Tramaine Brock – signed as an undrafted free agent in 2010. Re-signed in 2012 to a one-year, $540,000 contract. Backup right cornerback.
Perrish Cox – signed in 2012 to a two-year, $1.02 million contract. Backup nickel cornerback in minicamp.
Chris Culliver – 80th pick in 2011. Backup left cornerback, third CB on depth chart.
Demarcus Dobbs – Signed as an undrafted free agent in 2011 to a three-year, $1.395 million contract. Backup defensive lineman and tight end.
Darius Fleming – 165th pick in 2012. Tore ACL in OTAs.
Larry Grant – signed in 2011. Re-signed in 2012 to a one-year, $1.26 million contact. Third inside linebacker on the depth chart.
Curtis Holcomb – 250th pick in 2011. Fighting for a roster spot at defensive back.Phillip Adams – 224th pick in 2010. Cut in 2011.
Antwan Applewhite – signed in July 2011 to a small contract, cut in September 2011.
Cam Johnson – 237th pick in 2012. Had knee procedure in OTAs.
Travis LaBoy – signed in 2010 to a one-year, $1.6 million contract. Not re-signed in 2011.
Taylor Mays – 49th pick in 2011. Traded to the Bengals in August for a seventh round draft pick.
Trenton Robinson – 180th pick in 2011. Backup safety.
Will Tukuafu – signed as an undrafted free agent in 2010. Re-signed in 2012 to a two-year, $1.02 million contract. Backup defensive lineman and fullback.Ian Williams – signed as an undrafted free agent in 2011.
Madieu Williams – signed in 2011 to a one-year contract. Not re-signed in 2012.

SPECIAL TEAMS
David Akers – signed in 2011 to a three-year, $9 million contract. Pro Bowler, set the franchise record for points in a season.
Rock Cartwright – signed in 2012 to a one-year, $950,000 contract. Replaces Blake Costanzo.
Blake Costanzo – signed in 2011 to a one-year contract. Pro Bowl alternate. Not re-signed in 2012.
Ted Ginn Jr. – acquired in a trade for a fifth round pick. Pro Bowl alternate in 2011.
Tavares Gooden – signed in 2011. Re-signed in 2012 to a one-year, $700,000 contract.
Colin Jones – 190th pick in 2011. Special teams starter.
C.J. Spillman – claimed off waivers in 2010. Re-signed to a three-year, $4.2 million contract. Ace special teams gunner and backup safety.

From Ol'Jock:
Baalke is proving to be a genius so far. Out of his first two drafts ('10 and '11) all but three draftees are still with us (time will tell how well the '12 draft turns out, but they were drafted to a much better roster than their predecessors were). Unless my counting skills have completely left me (which, at my age is very likely), 41 of the 49 players signed under Baalke's tenure are still with the team, and that's better than five out of every six. I feel that is STELLAR.

Furthermore, look at the veterans Baalke has let "walk" so far…ON DEFENSE:Aubrayo Franklin, replaced by Isaac Sopoaga (an upgrade–plus, Sopoagabeing replaced by Ray McDonald was also an upgrade. One playergone, two positions upgraded)
Takeo Spikes, replaced by NaVorro Bowman (an upgrade)
Manny Lawson, replaced by Ahmad Brooks (an upgrade)
Nate Clements, replaced by Carlos Rogers (an upgrade)
Michael Lewis, replaced by Donte' Whitner (an upgrade)

ON OFFENSE:
Davis Baas, replaced by Jonathan Goodwin (at least a push)
Chilo Rachal and Adam Snyder, replaced by Alex Boone (TBD)
Joshua Morgan, replaced by Randy Moss (TBD)

In addition, injured starters who never won their starting roles back 'cause their replacements proved to be superior (the Wally Pipp syndrome): Shawntae Spencer, replaced by Tarell Brown and Chris Culliver & Moran Norris, replaced by Bruce Miller.

He's been a very BUSY GM. And let's also not downplay the fact that HarBaalke are doing everything they can to make this team better, even in evaluating a guy like Manning. Baalke is willing to convert defensive players to offense, OL to to play skill positions, improve ST, adding depth, etc. We're in a much better position than last year. Baalke is willing to trust his coaches to develop. No matter how this draft turns out, there is competition and depth everywhere. A job well done...
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 21, 2012 at 9:20 AM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
kap and Jenkins are busts I think we should fire Baalke.

Sus, duuuude, really?

A QB prospect going through his 1st off-season and a WR that had a few bad plays in mini-camp. Every pick won't contribute like Aldon Smith. You all do realize they thought he'd be good, but not almost matching and exceeding the rookie sack record good ...... that was a little luck. You can't hold every Baalke pick to that standard.
  • buck
  • Veteran
We can begin to understand Baalke's modus operandi.

Free Agency

1. The team gives the free agent a contractual value and will not go beyond that.
2. He does not find big names particularly enticing.
3. He waits for the market to settle down.
4. Will use free agency (and trades) to build the team , but feels the draft is the primary way to build the team.

Draft

1. Uses medical records, personal characteristics, and game film over the player's career as the major tools to evaluate players.
2. Works with the coaching staff on setting the draft board.
3. Willing to trade both up and down
4. He does not find big names particularly enticing.
5. Quite willing to draft small school players
6. Understands that the draft is not just for the coming year.

In general, he is a stand up guy.

1. Let Tom Gamble go back to Philadelphia.
2. Alex Smith felt that KC was his best option; Baalke worked to get him there.
3. He is systematic in his approach and he is honest about that.
4. He gives others the space they need to make up their minds. (example--the hiring of Jim Harbaugh)

Two additional points.

1. Baalke puts a premium on players that play more than one position (examples: Demarcus Dobbs -TE and DE and Will Tukuafu FB and DT )

2. In contrast to Scot McCloughan who favored bigger players, Baalke seems to favor players who are explosive. (examples: Hunter and James)

Original Posted in a Free Agency Thread. Seems appropriate here.
Originally posted by buck:
We can begin to understand Baalke's modus operandi.

Free Agency

1. The team gives the free agent a contractual value and will not go beyond that.
2. He does not find big names particularly enticing.
3. He waits for the market to settle down.
4. Will use free agency (and trades) to build the team , but feels the draft is the primary way to build the team.

Draft

1. Uses medical records, personal characteristics, and game film over the player's career as the major tools to evaluate players.
2. Works with the coaching staff on setting the draft board.
3. Willing to trade both up and down
4. He does not find big names particularly enticing.
5. Quite willing to draft small school players
6. Understands that the draft is not just for the coming year.

In general, he is a stand up guy.

1. Let Tom Gamble go back to Philadelphia.
2. Alex Smith felt that KC was his best option; Baalke worked to get him there.
3. He is systematic in his approach and he is honest about that.
4. He gives others the space they need to make up their minds. (example--the hiring of Jim Harbaugh)

Two additional points.

1. Baalke puts a premium on players that play more than one position (examples: Demarcus Dobbs -TE and DE and Will Tukuafu FB and DT )

2. In contrast to Scot McCloughan who favored bigger players, Baalke seems to favor players who are explosive. (examples: Hunter and James)

Original Posted in a Free Agency Thread. Seems appropriate here.

Great post. Baalke has done a great job & continues to do so!
I'm naming my next kid Trent