There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Official Trent Baalke Apreciation Thread

Originally posted by BayArea:
How did Jed York manage to put together such an awesome group of coaches and front office? It all happened so fast too it came out of left field. I thought the 49ers were in a slump they wouldn't soon get out of. Bravo.

He leaves the coaching to the coaches and does all the scouting. The man is a genius
You ever notice how the one's who are quiet or at least have humility are the one's who turn out the best of the best at everything?
Originally posted by WeAreLegend:
You ever notice how the one's who are quiet or at least have humility are the one's who turn out the best of the best at everything?

Yeah and that almost to a T describes Jerry Rice.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by andes14:
As much as I love Trent Baalke and love having a GM I finally fully trust, I still scratch my head when thinking about the move to not even make an offer to Costanzo. He got a 2 year/$1.865M deal from Chicago. I just want to know the logic on why he didn't wanna match that when he gave Cartwright a 1 year/$950K contract to fill the same role which basically means he just didn't want a 2nd year on the contract (in fact, the per year amount is actually a bit LESS than what we gave Cartwright) of our main core special teamer which I don't really get. Costanzo is over 4 years younger, has no wear and tear from being on the field from anything other than ST, was a great chemistry guy, was arguably the best special teamer in the league last year as he was the leader of the NFL's best special teams (and I doubt Cartwright will be as good), etc. So I'm sure Baalke has his reasons, I'm just super curious what they are.

Couple of reasons I can think of that might effect his decision on Costanzo. The 2year contract might cut too close to the future cap and/or Baalke rather have 1 year contract guys on ST in thinking they may put forth more effort since essentially those 1 year guy is playing for a contract. Sorta like a redux of Costanzo in 2011 with Cartwright

I don't agree with your reasoning at all. A 2yr/$2M total will have a minuscule impact into any future cap issues. I would have no issues giving Costanzo a 2 year deal. From what I understand, it seems that we didn't make him any offer at all. This really perplexes me especially since Costanzo seemed to voice a genuine desire to return (unlike Baas).
Baalke is the man and deserves a lot of credit for the work he's done. The 9ers are winners again and he is part of the formula that made it happen.........

Go 9ers!!!
feels good to be good from head to toe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 49ers for life! like the 80'S new era!
As much as I love Trent Baalke and love having a GM I finally fully trust, I still scratch my head when thinking about the move to not even make an offer to Costanzo. He got a 2 year/$1.865M deal from Chicago. I just want to know the logic on why he didn't wanna match that when he gave Cartwright a 1 year/$950K contract to fill the same role which basically means he just didn't want a 2nd year on the contract (in fact, the per year amount is actually a bit LESS than what we gave Cartwright) of our main core special teamer which I don't really get. Costanzo is over 4 years younger, has no wear and tear from being on the field from anything other than ST, was a great chemistry guy, was arguably the best special teamer in the league last year as he was the leader of the NFL's best special teams (and I doubt Cartwright will be as good), etc. So I'm sure Baalke has his reasons, I'm just super curious what they are.

I wanted Costanzo back as well but this move makes sense. Cartwright is a proven special teams player who offers versatility. Besides being a reliable gunner (which will be his main role), he can also return kicks, block on returns, and play some RB if necessary. I believe the dropoff between Costanzo and Cartwright will be minimal (if any). In fact, their special teams production was similar last season:

Costanzo: 12 ST tackles (11 solo, 1 assist)
Cartwright: 12 ST tackles (11 solo, 1 assist)
Originally posted by candlestick49er:

I wanted Costanzo back as well but this move makes sense. Cartwright is a proven special teams player who offers versatility. Besides being a reliable gunner (which will be his main role), he can also return kicks, block on returns, and play some RB if necessary. I believe the dropoff between Costanzo and Cartwright will be minimal (if any). In fact, their special teams production was similar last season:

Costanzo: 12 ST tackles (11 solo, 1 assist)
Cartwright: 12 ST tackles (11 solo, 1 assist)

I believe your correct. With all our depth on ST he should be better than Costanzo now.
Originally posted by JD9671:
feels good to be good from head to toe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 49ers for life! like the 80'S new era!

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Couple of reasons I can think of that might effect his decision on Costanzo. The 2year contract might cut too close to the future cap and/or Baalke rather have 1 year contract guys on ST in thinking they may put forth more effort since essentially those 1 year guy is playing for a contract. Sorta like a redux of Costanzo in 2011 with Cartwright

I don't agree with your reasoning at all. A 2yr/$2M total will have a minuscule impact into any future cap issues. I would have no issues giving Costanzo a 2 year deal. From what I understand, it seems that we didn't make him any offer at all. This really perplexes me especially since Costanzo seemed to voice a genuine desire to return (unlike Baas).

They must have known something we don't about Costanzo.
Another day, another reason why Trent Baalke is awesome:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829c9599/article/josh-morgan-struggling-to-recover-from-broken-leg

Eight months later, Morgan still isn't recovered. He didn't practice fully at Redskins OTAs and is limited in minicamp. He admitted to the Washington Times he's lost five inches off his vertical leap. Morgan hopes to be ready for training camp.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829c9599/article/josh-morgan-struggling-to-recover-from-broken-leg

Eight months later, Morgan still isn't recovered. He didn't practice fully at Redskins OTAs and is limited in minicamp. He admitted to the Washington Times he's lost five inches off his vertical leap. Morgan hopes to be ready for training camp.

haha never gonna be the same player he was
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by NinerGM:

haha never gonna be the same player he was

Yeah its hard to walk right after a fracture much less play in the NFL. Glad he got paid for all the hard work her put in here.
Originally posted by juycho:

That he is only good at is covering kicks?
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by juycho:

That he is only good at is covering kicks?

This.
and with this new regime its obvious they wont take any 1 trick ponies.

why Spencer never suited up and why Costanzo didnt get resigned. will either be HUGE contributors to 1 part or contributors in multiple areas.
putting Soap,Dobbs ect.... at fullback also shows.