LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Jerome Simpson

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
Dont forget culliver.

Got it in on the edit right before ya quoted.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Simpson was initially busted after he received 2.5 lbs of weed delivered to his home and the police found another 6 lbs in his house that appeared to have been shipped the same way.
I am anti-prohibition and against the league testing for recreational drugs but this is not about him smoking weed. It is about him getting arrested for trafficking and then getting busted for reckless driving and then getting busted yet again for open container and possession of weed which was a probation violation.

He sounds Aldon stupid.

Aldon is an alcoholic, I am not sure what Simpson's issue is.

I'm willing to bet it has somthing to do with marijuana.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by dald1:
Lol Torrey smith was the top FA WR this off season...what do you mean not taking a chance?

Drafting a wr early... look at the receivers he has drafted and tell me if it looks like he knows what he's doing drafting recievers...

I've wanted us to move up for both OBJ and cooper but is it worth moving your whole draft for one player? Especially on a run first team? The only miss I can think of was picking AJ over Jeffery...I think our new WR coach has done a good job so far an hopefully we will finally see some development because of it (old coaching staff didn't show very much in that regard).
No it is not. Unless are entire 2014/2015 draft is a bust.

He takes low round receivers, how foten do those guys actually hit? rarely.
Originally posted by captveg:
Dont forget culliver.

Got it in on the edit right before ya quoted.

damn you.
  • dald1
  • Veteran
I've wanted us to move up for both OBJ and cooper but is it worth moving your whole draft for one player? Especially on a run first team? The only miss I can think of was picking AJ over Jeffery...I think our new WR coach has done a good job so far an hopefully we will finally see some development because of it (old coaching staff didn't show very much in that regard).
Ur right I wouldn't have wanted to trade up a whole draft to get them but Jenkins over Jeffrey is a huge miss and theres other instances but whatever is what it is lol
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
I'm willing to bet it has somthing to do with marijuana.

He likes trafficking weed to make extra money.
Originally posted by Zealot:
Purple Haze springs to mind.

That would only be in Minnesota
Originally posted by AllForTheNiners:
Am I the only one who thinks this was a shrewd move by Baalke?

Simpson has some talent, but troubles in the past. Hasn't played football in a year, so chances are he wants to redeem himself. He's been doing and saying all the right things since he's gotten signed, and Baalke has probably told him he's on a zero tolerance policy. Niners know that he'll be suspended for the beginning of the season, so what do they do? They sign a ton of UDFA WR, and see if they can find a diamond in the rough.

Not only does the suspension give us an extra roster spot for the first 6 games to evaluate one of the young guns, but if one of those guys ends up sticking, we can cut Simpson for nothing, since he probably signed a minimum "prove it" contract. If none of the guys flash or we decide to try and stash him on the PS, we can move Simpson back on the active roster.

This is such a low risk move, and it worked out in the past with Parrish Cox, T. Brown, etc.

Yeah and it really worked with Aldon. Baalke loves him some reclamation projects like Marcus Lattimore and all of the injured players we've brought in.
So the Team knew he was going to get suspended so they signed him as a risk reward guy, he wasn't guaranteed a spot and still have to fight for it but some of you guys act like he's locked for that 3rd spot smh... He's basically a TC body so folks relax, this will give the young WR core a chance.

From AB

@Jay_AB81: $262,941 is what Simpson will forfeit if he remains with the 49ers, and his base salary won't be fully guaranteed now that he is suspended
[ Edited by 49ersOnMINE on Aug 18, 2015 at 3:35 PM ]
Originally posted by AllForTheNiners:
Am I the only one who thinks this was a shrewd move by Baalke?

Simpson has some talent, but troubles in the past. Hasn't played football in a year, so chances are he wants to redeem himself. He's been doing and saying all the right things since he's gotten signed, and Baalke has probably told him he's on a zero tolerance policy. Niners know that he'll be suspended for the beginning of the season, so what do they do? They sign a ton of UDFA WR, and see if they can find a diamond in the rough.

Not only does the suspension give us an extra roster spot for the first 6 games to evaluate one of the young guns, but if one of those guys ends up sticking, we can cut Simpson for nothing, since he probably signed a minimum "prove it" contract. If none of the guys flash or we decide to try and stash him on the PS, we can move Simpson back on the active roster.

This is such a low risk move, and it worked out in the past with Parrish Cox, T. Brown, etc.
This was indeed a good move in hind sight. Simpson is coming in for peanuts, has been doing extremely well in camp and knows that this is his last chance. Also, what happened to Aldon Smith, you hope just slapped him with the realization that he is in the same boat if he don't watch himself. Now a six game suspension opens the door for White. Then after six games we will see if there are any injuries or if any player doesn't live up to his promise. Ellington and Patton have had injury issues that have slowed them down, not to mention how we had injury issues with the wr corp during Harbaugh's tenure. As you said, Baalke has had success for the most part with FA reclaimation projects in the past.

Yee all knowing arm chair gm? Considering the losses what would you have done. Not changing any the players we lost to suspension, retirement, and the one we cut for being dumber then a bag of rocks.

What would I have done first of all I'm not a gm but my first order of business wouldn't have been to get rid of the best coach we've had in 2 decades I'll tell u for damn sure about that

Harbaugh was the right coach for the time, some coaches are made to take a team in shambles and right it. However, good coaches learn to adjust, he was loyal to a fault with Roman, which is what I suspect the fallout is from. There may also be some other things that we are not privy to, even if Harbaugh stayed, he would have to deal with this same mess. If you believe the losses were because he left, you are delusional.

Double post
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Aug 18, 2015 at 3:36 PM ]
Lol Torrey smith was the top FA WR this off season...what do you mean not taking a chance?

Drafting a wr early... look at the receivers he has drafted and tell me if it looks like he knows what he's doing drafting recievers...

Read your post wrong lol...we we'll find out if the 4th round WRs pan out soon enough.
Ur right I wouldn't have wanted to trade up a whole draft to get them but Jenkins over Jeffrey is a huge miss and theres other instances but whatever is what it is lol

The only issue with Jeffery was he was fat an out of shape his last year in college and at the combine...he had a horrible work ethic, but like you said it's all done with now lol.
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Yeah and it really worked with Aldon. Baalke loves him some reclamation projects like Marcus Lattimore and all of the injured players we've brought in.
Aldon had no issues coming out of college, was clean as a whistle, no red flags. Sometimes you cannot see in a person's heart or how they would respond with there first millions. Would you have drafted Lawrence Taylor? As for talent he nailed it with Aldon. As for injured players, its 50/50. Walsh did it several times. This kind of thing is hard to predict. Kevin f*gan and Gore come to mind. Garrison Hearst. You cannot predict the mind or the luck of a person (injuries). It could happen late in your career like Joe Thiesman (sp?) or Jerry Rice or early like one of the high drafted players drafted this year.

Baalke has had some head scratchers as far as picks, every single GM has!
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Jed getting a Ph.D in winning....with class.
Share 49ersWebzone