LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 123 users in the forums

Learning to be positive

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I agree with so many comments in this thread. I often find myself holding back now cuz I'm honestly afraid I'm gonna jinx the team if I talk smack and have fun with my friends when we play them. I know I have no outcome on the game whatsoever but still can't help feel that if I get overconfident about a game then the team will go out and lay a egg. Its funny to see myself type it and the more I type and read, the more I think I need to be on medication.
lol @thechozen. Me and my brothers watch the games together wearing our 49er garb. I traditionally wear my Willis jersey. But on the opening game I didn't have it clean. So one of my bros had me wear his Alex Smith jersey that he had regretted buying during his rookie year. As you know, we won that game. The next week i was sporting Willis and we lost. Since then I wear the Smith jersey every Sunday and so far so good. Superstitious or what?
Originally posted by susweel:
I have no idea what you are talking about because I am always positive.

Damn it Sus, I just spit coffee all over my desk...
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by verb1der:
I'm just really happy to see 49ers fans feeling good about their team.

It's been so long, let's enjoy this season, the potential of what this season could turn into is really exciting. Once the 49ers are in the playoffs, they have ALL that it takes to win it all.

Think about what it takes to win a Superbowl

Criteria as follows

-Smart QB that manages the game
-Strong running game
-Elite defense
-Special Teams
-Strategic coaching
-Physical all around

The 49ers have all of these and then some

I'm really starting to believe it. As someone stated, we have the type of offense and defense combo that can put a high flying O team in check. We are built to wear you down. We practice to wear you down. The calls and personnel is subed to wear you down......Thats why Frank and VD said both Philly and Tampa quit.

They are right, you could see by the fourth quarters of both of those games we had imposed our will and they just couldn't stop what everyone knew we were going to be doing. Somewhere Mike Singletary was thinking..." So that's how you do it". Football is a cyclical thing, since it has become a pass oriented league teams have started building with smaller faster players, then along comes a powerhouse running team with a great defense and no one is equipped to deal with the power attack. If we had gotten Harbaugh last year, we might have been he NFC west team that made some noise in the playoffs...oh well I guess we will have to settle for this year.
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I don't know if anyone will understand me here, but after losing for so long, I feel like I struggle to be positive. I'm so use to complaining about what is going wrong, and why we are the way we are, that I almost don't know how to communicate without saying something negative.... With that said, I realize there is a tremendous amount to be positive about, and far more good than bad. I welcome the opportunity to focus on the great things the Niners are doing, but I have found it a little difficult. Of course, with every week that's passing, I find it gets a little easier... Am I the only one in this boat?

Don't worry, as soon as you completely cross over back to a positive attitude the 49ers will lay the biggest egg ever and throw you deeper into debauchery.

On a serious not, I am impressed with your candor and you have made an impression on me.
Oakland is a stand up guy, we disagree a lot and he is still one of my favorite guys to talk to here. I am happy seeing anyone have their faith restored, I hope it is contagious.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Yeah i was watching the packers vs. atl game and my friend asked who i wanted to win that.

I told him i didn't care as long as i won in fantasy football.

But then i had a thought. We have a good record.

Dare i think...that GB should lose because we can get homefield advange in the playoffs..

Felt like the old times when that train of thought was standard for our team. Dare I??????????
I think we can hang with the Packers. I ain't scurred.
49ers vs. Bills this years superbowl
I remember the golden years and haven't lost my positive edge. It keeps me alive. Now, I'm getting my reward, game-by-game.
It's easy to be positive when you're team is winning. This is great though, I hope the team keeps it up and wins tomorrow.

Even my brother who has hated alex has nothing but nice things to say.
Originally posted by Bayareaboy:
49ers vs. Bills this years superbowl

You know, that is a Superbowl matchup which is long overdue.

• titan
  • Veteran
I wonder how much money will Chris Berman win if he was really to put that bet in?!
It has never been a problem with me that you did not believe, not everyone sees the same thing and you had a lot of company. So, good to be self analytical, but not too self critical.

If you have been through a couple cycles of lows and highs it makes it easier to maintain a positive outlook. That doesn't mean you aren't saddened by bad coaching, management or play. Keep a stiff upper lip...and hope for the best.
I prefer to call it David Carr symdrome...

I have it as well. Battered for so long, when something bad happens, I expect everything to fall apart. Pleasantly surprised to see it going the other way.
Share 49ersWebzone