There are 169 users in the forums

What is Alex Smith for the 49ers?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is Alex Smith for the 49ers?

Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Locking up Alex needs to be a priority. He'll never been Aaron Rodgers but he has convinced me he is above-average and can be a winner.

Who knows if he'll be as good as Rodgers. I think the talent is there so you can't rule out Smith's ceiling.
the plan is short-term i mean seriously its obvious thats why we got kap but if he does continue to play like this he could be the future of the 49ers lets just wait and see while the plot thickens in front of us whatever harbaugh decides to do im all for it
IN HARBAUGH I TRUST
[ Edited by NinerDieHard on Oct 10, 2011 at 3:50 PM ]
I was going to post this as a different thread but im going to post it here. Does anyone think that alex woudve been better than aaron if he was drafted in green bay instead? I think he had more upsides than rodgers.
If Alex gets us to the NFC Championship, then sign him to a fat 5 year contract. (I believe this is VERY possible)
If Alex falls apart andwe finish a mediocre 8-8 then sign to a 3 year contract so we can develop a young new QB.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
I was going to post this as a different thread but im going to post it here. Does anyone think that alex woudve been better than aaron if he was drafted in green bay instead? I think he had more upsides than rodgers.

Absolutely. But who cares now
He has been loyal to us ...we need to be loyal to HIM
  • kray28
  • Veteran
He's still the short term answer. But if I had to predict the future at this point, I would say that the Niners will be bringing him back as the starter next year as well. His play has exceeded expectations and he's a player who's faced a type of adversity that few in this league have endured.

He's a unique starting QB in this league if you think about it. Who else has a story like his?
[ Edited by kray28 on Oct 10, 2011 at 4:15 PM ]
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:
Assuming he plays like this for the rest of the season..he is the future.

You don't allow your proven, game tested, high quality QB to see free agency just because you took a guy in round 2 that you HOPE works out.

When you have a guy that you've seen do it, time and time again, he is a sure thing. In the NFL, always keep the sure thing.

Unless you're the San Diego Chargers. They got lucky with Rivers though, he panned out pretty well.
Who knows Alex has a long hill to climb,but he has the H.C. to show us all his upside.
I think we are finally here:

"That's why, early in his career, and early in our career with him at Utah, he was not an effective passer, because he really didn't understand. Once he understood, there was no one better. He learns quickly, though. But he's not a guy that you throw the ball out there and tell him, 'Go play.' He wants to know what is exactly expected of him and then he becomes a dynamite player.' (Urban Meyer speaking about Alex Smith)

Hard to say. I think he certainly could have been.
I dont want a Brees situation happening here, but it might start to look like it if Alex comes up with 'come back player of the year' award! Are we gonna let another possible SB QB go? We could have had Rodgers and Brady.
Originally posted by MX_ninner:
I think we are finally here:

"That's why, early in his career, and early in our career with him at Utah, he was not an effective passer, because he really didn't understand. Once he understood, there was no one better. He learns quickly, though. But he's not a guy that you throw the ball out there and tell him, 'Go play.' He wants to know what is exactly expected of him and then he becomes a dynamite player.' (Urban Meyer speaking about Alex Smith)

That's such an overused quote from Meyer and really doesn't fit the situation Alex Smith has been in with the 49ers. Basically this organization and team was crap from 2003-2010. We started adding players in 05 (Smith, Gore, Baas, Synder), 06 (VD, Lawson, P. Harralson, D. Walker), 07 (Willis, Staley, R. McDonald, Goldson) but those pieces couldn't come together without coaching and, of course, we know that Nolan and Signletary couldn't provide that..

Alex Smith NOW has a coach and offensive system in place. Before that time it wasn't like Smith was slowly learning. Heck, he had nothing to learn since the 9ers changed offensive systems so many times in the last 8 years. In short, the quote means nothing cause it just doesn't fit.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
I dont want a Brees situation happening here, but it might start to look like it if Alex comes up with 'come back player of the year' award! Are we gonna let another possible SB QB go? We could have had Rodgers and Brady.

Woah calm down buddy. They're playing great but slow your roll.
One year contract - the 49ers brass themselves were not sure going into the season. Once again, a lot will depend on Smith himself in how he plays out this entire season. But it is looking like a no brainer that the 49ers will make a long term offer to keep him as starter if he plays well enough.
Share 49ersWebzone