There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Smith and Crabtree, what is it between these two?

Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Smith's high passes are due to bad mechanics (I.e him dropping his shoulders when he is releasing the ball) not bad routes. That is something that has plagued Alex for some time now and it reared its nasty head again today. It is something that I am sure Jim will be pounding him on the rest of the bye week and much more liklely this whole year.

I don't think Jim does much pounding. And the problem obviously shows more with Crabtree than anyone else, even to the blindest haters.
I have been one of Alex's biggest supporter, but I am not speculating I am telling you the problem. This is not an opinion, it is a fact. This is basic QB mechanics and I am sure Jim will hound Alex about it.
I have been one of Alex's biggest supporter, but I am not speculating I am telling you the problem. This is not an opinion, it is a fact. This is basic QB mechanics and I am sure Jim will hound Alex about it.

You don't know that untill we know what route Crabs was suppose to run and how far etc. Even it we have the video it isn't clear without knowing more.
Originally posted by taney71:

You don't know that untill we know what route Crabs was suppose to run and how far etc. Even it we have the video it isn't clear without knowing more.
Are you serious or are you trying to troll? You are blind if you cant see a basic WCO route combo with Crabtree running a deep in. That same play was called earlier in the game and it was high. Watch Alex hitch, hitch, slide step, drop his shoulder and throw. The ball was right at Crabtree but 10 yards high? I am not even sure what game you are watching. Almost every high pass you can watch Alex drop his shoulder then release, it is bad mechanics, anyone who argues otherwise literally knows 0 about qb mechanics, or the problems that have plagued Alex Smith in particular.
it seems like its always and only to Crabtree that the passes go high. that's not mechanics, that's something else, whether its miscommunication or the need for more practice together or what. they gotta work on it this next two weeks.
Originally posted by taney71:

Let me get this straight. So Alex was floating passes high pretty much the whole game, and you will have to wait and see if EVERY route Crabtree was supposed to run was run incorrectly? If it happened once, I could understand your total guess of an opinion. But it happened over and over again today. Even on the completions. Its Alex. Period.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
it seems like its always and only to Crabtree that the passes go high. that's not mechanics, that's something else, whether its miscommunication or the need for more practice together or what. they gotta work on it this next two weeks.

Yea, somehow the guy posting above you is missing that whole part of the equation.

I love Alex but you are blind if you don't see how high soo many of his passes were. There were alot of target and there were a lot of target. If they seem like most of his passes to "Crabtree" are high why dont you look at the length of the passes he is throwing to Crabtree. In general it is the intermediate throws that are going high and that is because he is dropping his shoulder. I have been one of the few saying Alex can be a legitimate QB in this league, ask anyone on this board. But if you cant see this, you are blind.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Let me get this straight. So Alex was floating passes high pretty much the whole game, and you will have to wait and see if EVERY route Crabtree was supposed to run was run incorrectly? If it happened once, I could understand your total guess of an opinion. But it happened over and over again today. Even on the completions. Its Alex. Period.

Yea, it happened only on passes to Crabtree. I don't know who is to blame, but it is obvious they aren't connecting, which is what this thread was about even before this game. Some of you are so shallow and inept it is funny to witness.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

Yea, it happened only on passes to Crabtree. I don't know who is to blame, but it is obvious they aren't connecting, which is what this thread was about even before this game. Some of you are so shallow and inept it is funny to witness.

Blaming Alex for a CLEAR problem means people are inept? Please go back and look at my posting history over the past 4 years, I am one of Alex's biggest backers. Rewatch the game, Alex had some accuracy issues today, not just to Crabtree, to Ginn as well, and Frank. Watch him throw, you will see his shoulder sink which changes your release point and causes the ball to sail. This is seriously like basic football stuff here, how you people dont get it, is just seriously beyond me. Blinded by your own love for the guy, I love him but it is a problem that needs to be fixed.

I love Alex but you are blind if you don't see how high soo many of his passes were. There were alot of target and there were a lot of target. If they seem like most of his passes to "Crabtree" are high why dont you look at the length of the passes he is throwing to Crabtree. In general it is the intermediate throws that are going high and that is because he is dropping his shoulder. I have been one of the few saying Alex can be a legitimate QB in this league, ask anyone on this board. But if you cant see this, you are blind.

I haven't noticed him sailing passes to other receivers. Maybe you are right that it is an intermediate-length thing, but you'd have to actually go through and chart all those passes to prove that point because it seems to me that he has thrown some other intermediate passes on the money.
Smith's accuracy was not on par with the last 2 games. I think the Lions' pass rush has a lot to do with it. I think that and the combination of receivers not getting open on a consistent basis got him throwing the ball with bad mechanics. I think when Smith re-watch the game he would realized he could have taken just enough time to make some better throws.

We have all seen it before. When Smith is confident that he gets time from the line his accuracy is very good. When he doesn't have confidence of the situation or perceived a lack of time, or tentative, it's when he becomes erratic.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 16, 2011 at 6:20 PM ]
Originally posted by Leathaface:
It's not about chemistry...it's about Alex Smith being inaccurate when the bullets fly. This is my #1 worry even at 5-1.

How is not about chemistry when Smith doesn't seem to have these issues with any of the other TEs WRs on the team?

I recall that there was a statistic floating around that Smith's QBR to Crabtree was something about 5 but with everybody else it was above 70 or so. What would you come back with after that?

Fact is, they both need to fix their issues.
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Oct 16, 2011 at 6:34 PM ]
Originally posted by Leathaface:
It's not about chemistry...it's about Alex Smith being inaccurate when the bullets fly. This is my #1 worry even at 5-1.

Wouldn't a blitz qualify for "when the bullets fly"? Isn't smith one of the best against the blitz this year?
I would say that its an issue with chemistry period, if you don't have chemistry with your receivers QB's can have issues with there mechanics because they are hesitating which I saw more than a few times today with Alex and Crabs. You can clearly see in the past and present that when Alex is uncomfortable he tends to dip his shoulder or hop alil bit and this is normally when he is pressured but I've noticed hes gotten better with that this year but still has mechanics issues when he doesn't believe his receiver will be in the right spot like we saw today several times.
[ Edited by Natewillis2252 on Oct 16, 2011 at 7:00 PM ]
Smith throws like a pitcher. Pitchers need a perfect rotation in order to be accurate. The best QBs are more like middle infielders. They can throw accurately while running and jumping, using many arm angles, when people are bearing down on them, and with touch, and off either foot.

Smith can get off a bit on his form and he won't be accurate. That is just his make-up. JH has been able to keep him in form for the most part, but he will stray now and then.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home