LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

Smith and Crabtree, what is it between these two?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Amazinghow perception changes when you can go back and look at film.

Singletary was right all along
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
I wanted to post in this thread after watching the game for the 4th time, I counted 6 throws that Alex dropped his shoulder on. After watching the INT he dipped his shoulder but I am eating crow in the fact that there had to be a miscommunication there. Alex was inaccurate but he didnt have the horrible game I thought he did when first watching it. He needs to work on his mechanics but he was still solid, so I am here admitting I was wrong, he didnt play nearly as terrible as I originally thought.

Thanks for stating this NV, as I really had the same impression you did until I watched some reruns and talked to others who explained some of the problems in the game. Watched the second half again and only saw a couple of errant passes, nothing really awful or Grossman-like. Most of Smith's passes were well placed.

I thought the worst pass he threw in Detroit was the one that Ginn knocked down so it wouldn't be intercepted. Was at the right side at the goalline. Not sure whether it was underthrown or should have been on the outside shoulder.

The game looked bad and I think that was due to the defenses being so good. Now I know how our opponent fans feel!
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Amazinghow perception changes when you can go back and look at film.

Singletary was right all along

His problem was that film did not make him see any better.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Smith's accuracy was not on par with the last 2 games. I think the Lions' pass rush has a lot to do with it. I think that and the combination of receivers not getting open on a consistent basis got him throwing the ball with bad mechanics. I think when Smith re-watch the game he would realized he could have taken just enough time to make some better throws.

We have all seen it before. When Smith is confident that he gets time from the line his accuracy is very good. When he doesn't have confidence of the situation or perceived a lack of time, or tentative, it's when he becomes erratic.

When you play quarterback and you are anxious, the ball goes high. It happens every single time. For whatever reason, Smith lacked confidence in this game.

He and Crabs don't have chemistry. They don't really put in extra time together. Look at the Seattle and the Dallas game where the OL was getting beat all over the place. Look at the throws to Edwards. It's obvious that Smith and Edwards were developing a rapport because they put in extra time to work on their chemistry. Until Crabs and Smith put in the reps, you're going to see consistent high passes to Crabs. The slant to Walker was perfectly placed - so was the pass to Walker in the end zone that he drops. When Alex is confident about his receiver, he moves away from the high passes.

Source on the first bold? How do you know they dont work during the week?

Second bold......because they dont put in extra work, that means all passes will be high? Care to explain how that one works?

(Im not going to harp the pass that Walker dropped. It wasnt a perfectly placed ball like you say it was, nor was it delivered on time. But it absolutely, 100% should have been caught none the less.)

Uhhh yea it actually kind of was. It hit him damn near right in the hands.

If there was a DB draped all over him, then it was a perfectly placed ball. But there was no one within 10 yards of Walker. Just throw it to him.
Alex did throw it to him and he dropped it, the pass is where it need it to be. DW himself said it was a perfect pass and he didn't have his hands in the right position, he lost control of it when he tried to pull it in and keep two feet in bounds.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Only question I have why does he only pass high to him and nobody else.
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
I wanted to post in this thread after watching the game for the 4th time, I counted 6 throws that Alex dropped his shoulder on. After watching the INT he dipped his shoulder but I am eating crow in the fact that there had to be a miscommunication there. Alex was inaccurate but he didnt have the horrible game I thought he did when first watching it. He needs to work on his mechanics but he was still solid, so I am here admitting I was wrong, he didnt play nearly as terrible as I originally thought.

Great post. As for the bolded, I feel like the intensity of the game caused me to put every play under a microscope and I, like you, thought he played worse than he actually did.

Anything else stand out to you after watching the game that many times?

Anthony Davis had the key blocks on both Gore's big runs getting to the 2nd level EXTREMELY well, also he held up in pass protection against that 9 wide really well to my surprise. I havent liked him since we picked him but he really had an outstanding game imo.

That's hella good to hear, you have no idea! Let's hope he keeps this up, dude's a freak but I'd like to see that cool consistency that you get with the great Olinemen. Thanks for the reply!
Share 49ersWebzone