There are 135 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

More evidence that our offensive line is terrible

Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I think they said their DC was their O.C last year. So far he is trash, id be surprised if he lasts past their bye week.

I don't know how you have Samuel, Nnamdi, be #1 in sacks, and have the worst defense.

I read an article where they are blaming the LB's, it didn't really look like it was the LB's fault. IT really looked like teh secondary and coaching staff causing the probs.

I think there is a flaw in the computer program somewhere. If you have two cornerbacks with ratings over 90+, they should not be giving up yards to receivers (like ours) with ratings in the 80's or lower. There is something wrong with the numbers!

This is not projecting correctly!
[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 7, 2011 at 8:31 PM ]
The Eagles have the worst defense in the national football league. all they can do is generate sacks, that's it. Statistically on FootballOutsiders they are #32 in defense and #1 in sacks. That just reflects a reckless defensive scheme run by a novice.

I think they said their DC was their O.C last year. So far he is trash, id be surprised if he lasts past their bye week.

Has nothing to do with the fact that their projected "shutdown" corners are getting beat in one-on-one match-ups in all the highlights. Their coordinator can't "coordinate" them breaking up a pass.

Cornerbacks are important like every position. But they are WAY overrated by fans.
New data shows that the 49ers give up more "short sacks" than any other team in the NFL, at a rate of 3x the league average. short sacks, defined as sacks under 2.5 seconds, are almost always on the offensive line failing to block (or a botched snap). In contrast, we've given up relatively few "long sacks" (coverage sacks), which are indicative of WRs failing to get open or the QB holding on to the ball for too long. In contrast, nearly all of the Rams' sacks are coverage sacks, with either Bradford holding the ball too long or WRs not getting open.

With an O-line like this, it's amazing we're 3-1 and it speaks volumes to the job our run defense has done and Alex Smith's ability to make lemons out of lemonade. The three teams that are directly better than us in short sacks are a combined 1-11 (SEA, MIA, and IND).

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/under-pressure/2011/under-pressure-our-first-2011-data

http://www.ninersnation.com/2011/10/7/2475864/49ers-alex-smith-sacks-football-outsiders#comments

Now that Chilo has been replaced by Snyder, that stat will drop dramatically.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
I'm really hoping it's the O-line that the shortened offseason affected the most and that they are just about to get their act together and play like professionals. Really hoping.

O-lines do gel throughout a season as long as they stay healthy.

It's hard to remember this but I agree. During the offseason I knew it would take until midseason or later for the line to gel but I hate seeing Smith take a pounding and the running game stalled. That is likely why Harbaugh ran the ball into the line over and over again...just keep Smith upright! Last week was better and I hope this is a trend!
Shaj and Sus will not read. Will pretend they missed it.
  • 8to80
So all this proves is Alex smith > all the rest.

You lost us. LOL. How does 49ers give up more "short sacks" than any other team in the NFL = Alex Smith is better than all the rest?
Originally posted by valrod33:

WE DONT SUCK
SHART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually he's been their offensive line coach for 13 years. Definitely qualified for the promotion lol leave it to Philly to ruin a team with that much talent
When Boone took over for Staley on 2 snaps, we put up about 30 yards on two consecutive passing plays.
Anthony Davis and Chilo Rachal are the weak links on our OLine.
Originally posted by 8to80:
You lost us. LOL. How does 49ers give up more "short sacks" than any other team in the NFL = Alex Smith is better than all the rest?

Probably because he has a 3-1 record while the other 3 teams combine for 1-11
  • 8to80
Originally posted by dave1003:
Probably because he has a 3-1 record while the other 3 teams combine for 1-11
I guess you missed my point: since when does "short sacks" equate to having the worst Pass blocking O-Line. A better measure of the worst pass-block O-Line would be TOTAL sacks and QB hits (and even then, it is a flawed measure). That makes us the 9th worst offensive line with 35 sacks/QB hits. The Rams have 60.

Not saying our O-Line is great. Just saying there are other teams with O-Lines that are worse than ours.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Anthony Davis and Chilo Rachal are the weak links on our OLine.

add staley to that list
since snyder took over our o line has been good
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
add staley to that list

disagree
he shut down trent cole completely last game and he was one of the league leader is sacks and then when cole got injured he shut down babbins
Lol yes our. O-line is sucking now but it doesn't mean it can't be fixed. Patience u kiddies.