LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

Why doesnt Patrick Willis make any big plays?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
he wants to be a Cowboy

Originally posted by andes14:
No inside 'backer had more sacks than him last year...

That's what pisses me off. Vic and crew coming in trying to tell us that he can't rush the passer, but he had six sacks last year. That is more than any inside linebacker as you pointed out.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by rtj03:
First, I LOVE P WILLY and think he is a very good linebacker BUT I just feel he never makes any really game changing plays like forced fumbles, ints, sacks (I know he doesnt blitz that often), defensive TD's. He is a tackling machine and deserves credit for that.

I just look at Ray lewis and some ohters and they always make big plays like big 4th qt tackles and other things.

What do you all think

I think he just shows up to work and does his job. I think Bowman is benefitting from D's trying to take Willis out of the play. Thats not gonna work for long tho because Bowman has stepped up.

i agree. I also think that Bowman is better at rushing the passer, and is probably faster than Willis, or, at least, maybe "quicker." So he's making those behind the LOS plays, and I think the defense is calling for him to do that and for Willis to be back in coverage, cleaning up anything that comes his way. Teams will have to start really accounting for Bowman, which means going towards Willis. Lose-lose situation for them.

I really do think that teams so far have tried to negate Willis, which is reasonable, since in years past he was one of the only guys consistently making plays, and the defense called on him to do so. Once he lights someone up or comes up with a fumble recovery or something everyone will forget about how "invisible" he seemed.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
cuz he sux. Bowman is the best MLB in the league.

Originally posted by Marvin49:
I think he just shows up to work and does his job. I think Bowman is benefitting from D's trying to take Willis out of the play. Thats not gonna work for long tho because Bowman has stepped up.

they could only stop 1 of them
I AGREE , IT'S OBAMA'S FAULT LOL
Bust...trade him to the Bengals for a seventh rounder in 2015.
Sometimes I think it's more perception than anything else. Willis gets a lot of tackles for loss or tackles for no gain. Not exactly highlight material, so the average viewer probably thinks, "Man, I havent heard Willis' name all game. He's not making any plays," when in reality he's the most fundamentally sound backer in the game. He's not interested in highlights, just wrapping up the ball-carrier on first contact. He very rarely goes for the "big hit" that gets people's attention...
I love Willis too but I'm not sure what you guys mean by teams are taking him out of the game. Last year, yes, we saw many guards and FB's blowing by Franklin and getting to the second level and effectively blocking out Willis and therefore, Spikes had a good statistical year as a result. This year, I don't see that...teams are rarely even bothering to run on our front 7 (what, 18 yards last week?). Therefore, I think it is more scheme and how teams are playing against us (mostly pass). Willis has been "spying" a lot and has really been in coverage quite a bit and that is a weakness of his. Granted he did get 6 sacks last year but they were all clean and unblocked and timed perfectly...we can still do that this year more too but right now, Bowman has the added pass rush skills that Willis doesn't and we can trust Willis to at least be in the right area in coverage when we do blitz Bowman (d/t experience). And since Willis is playing more off the LOS, he's not going to get many TFL either. At some point, I'm looking forward to the ILB's working more with the OLB's and all blitzing from various positions. That's where we will see more "playmaking" by Willis. If Willis is going to be making big plays, ala Justin Smith, it's going to have to be in coverage for now until the defense can evolve.
Originally posted by WildBill:
If you are a student of the game you'd understand why. Sacks-he hasn't been utilized as much. The guy does what he is assigned to do. Make tackles and make sure they don't get past him. As for interceptions, the less they throw your way the less you have opportunities. This year Bowman has the numbers cause everyone is keying on him so the traffic is flowing NB's way and NB is doing his job.

He had a very good game against the Eagles. He was on McCoy's ass all game long. McCoy had the one TD reception, but other than that he couldn't shake Willis and really wasn't a factor. He's doing his job well . . . as usual.

Originally posted by NCommand:
I love Willis too but I'm not sure what you guys mean by teams are taking him out of the game. Last year, yes, we saw many guards and FB's blowing by Franklin and getting to the second level and effectively blocking out Willis and therefore, Spikes had a good statistical year as a result. This year, I don't see that...teams are rarely even bothering to run on our front 7 (what, 18 yards last week?). Therefore, I think it is more scheme and how teams are playing against us (mostly pass). Willis has been "spying" a lot and has really been in coverage quite a bit and that is a weakness of his. Granted he did get 6 sacks last year but they were all clean and unblocked and timed perfectly...we can still do that this year more too but right now, Bowman has the added pass rush skills that Willis doesn't and we can trust Willis to at least be in the right area in coverage when we do blitz Bowman (d/t experience). And since Willis is playing more off the LOS, he's not going to get many TFL either. At some point, I'm looking forward to the ILB's working more with the OLB's and all blitzing from various positions. That's where we will see more "playmaking" by Willis. If Willis is going to be making big plays, ala Justin Smith, it's going to have to be in coverage for now until the defense can evolve.

Spot on analysis!
I blame Terry Donahue
As long as he's not missing tackles and not being blocked out of the play like Mr McClain in Oak i'm ok.
This is way overblown, its the scheme. Bowman is quicker off his first step, Willis is faster after the first 5 yards, both are no slouches. Willis has the years of experience also.

Fangio is utilizing Bowman's quickness to attack and putting Willis in the classic MLB/rover position to follow his instincts on where the play is going. Qb's account for Willis on every play and he is one of the hardest hitters in the league. So the QB knows where Willis is on each play and is smart enough not to try and hit quick dumpoffs in front of Willis for risk of turnover/injury, they are most likely told to ignore the checkdown if it results in less than 3 yards and a hit by Willis. QB's would rather make Bowman "prove it" when throwing to his responsibility. Rewatch the philly game, Bowman attacks upfield and then peels off on the RB if he goes out in the flat while Willis is basically covering the entire middle of the field at the 2nd level. He isn't missing tackle or not making plays that are his responsibilities, it's more offenses have decided to ignore his area of the field as he has been the best defensive player on our team since his rookie year. It's offense 101, attack a teams weakness until they prove it isnt, and Willis along with our D-line has been the strength of this defense for years so teams are gameplanning to avoid them.
If youmwatch the eagles game he was the spy on Vick and usually just dropped into coverage unless he broke out the pocket. It has a lot to do with the offense not running on us and that being said Willis isn't as effective. He's still a beast and I'm happy to say bowman is putting his own mark on this defense. As of right now it's the most dynamic inside linebacker duo in the NFL. Just wait till p willy turns it on and the two will rule the NFL in stats
Share 49ersWebzone