There are 186 users in the forums

Can't believe this is how Alex and co. were coached last year...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Really, though?

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/10/06/3964105/49ers-smith-makes-better-decisions.html#mi_rss=49ers

When Alex Smith saw an Eagles cornerback and safety blitzing from his right side in the third quarter Sunday, he knew exactly what to do.He dropped back three steps and fired a dart to wide receiver Joshua Morgan, who sprinted untouched into the end zone for a 30-yard touchdown. The score was San Francisco's first big step in erasing a 20-point Eagles lead.

Last year, that play wouldn't have been nearly as automatic.

When a defense blitzed, 49ers receivers were required to break off their original routes. Smith had to interpret what the receiver was thinking. The receivers had to guess what the quarterback was thinking. And all that mind reading led to mistakes.

"Last year he had so much going on, so much that they put on Alex's mind when it came to the blitz," Morgan said. " … They had too many people trying to read the blitz. Sometimes they'd get it wrong. Sometimes they'd get it right. When you've got other people trying to do the quarterback's job, then you've got miscommunication."

This year, the 49ers' response to blitzes is simpler and reflective of a head coach, Jim Harbaugh, who used to be an NFL quarterback. The receivers continue to run their original route and leave it up to the quarterback to decide where to throw it.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Canadian49er:
Really, though?

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/10/06/3964105/49ers-smith-makes-better-decisions.html#mi_rss=49ers

When Alex Smith saw an Eagles cornerback and safety blitzing from his right side in the third quarter Sunday, he knew exactly what to do.He dropped back three steps and fired a dart to wide receiver Joshua Morgan, who sprinted untouched into the end zone for a 30-yard touchdown. The score was San Francisco's first big step in erasing a 20-point Eagles lead.

Last year, that play wouldn't have been nearly as automatic.

When a defense blitzed, 49ers receivers were required to break off their original routes. Smith had to interpret what the receiver was thinking. The receivers had to guess what the quarterback was thinking. And all that mind reading led to mistakes.

"Last year he had so much going on, so much that they put on Alex's mind when it came to the blitz," Morgan said. " … They had too many people trying to read the blitz. Sometimes they'd get it wrong. Sometimes they'd get it right. When you've got other people trying to do the quarterback's job, then you've got miscommunication."

This year, the 49ers' response to blitzes is simpler and reflective of a head coach, Jim Harbaugh, who used to be an NFL quarterback. The receivers continue to run their original route and leave it up to the quarterback to decide where to throw it
Really! What kind of a coach tells you to just break off the route and hope he throws it to you. Makes me feel even more glad that Harbaugh is here.
Was just about to post this. This is a VERY significant article to me. Wow... changing for the better, fellas!
Sing was a terrible coach
might explain his career prior to the start of 2011. i thought johnson was a qb coach
Were you not watching games last year? I agree it seems silly. It's like everything we were doing. Too much too fast, too soon. Harbaugh is doing a good job of slowing it all down. To be honest there is merit to letting recievers make reads and break on routes. But you need to be pretty solid in the simple stuff to do that if you ask me.
Originally posted by VA49er:
Were you not watching games last year? I agree it seems silly. It's like everything we were doing. Too much too fast, too soon. Harbaugh is doing a good job of slowing it all down. To be honest there is merit to letting recievers make reads and break on routes. But you need to be pretty solid in the simple stuff to do that if you ask me.

Agreed. And I like our receivers for the most part... BUT... I don't think many of them would excel at altering their routes as they see fit. I think they are far better left to run their route as planned and leave the thinking to the QB.
Calling Singletary a coach is insulting to other coaches...who really coach!!!!!
the one thing i like this year is when alex breaks the pocket his receivers are aware and at that point he has been able to direct someone to an open area. even though this was a shortened camp this appears to be the best communication he has had with his receiver group. even though some doubted maybe camp alex did have some benefit.
Mike Johnson is an idiot if this is true. LOL @ Singletary-era Niners.

This is f**king ridiculous, no offense, not even the 0-16 Lions played like that. -Just goes to show how we were RUNNING just running off of talent/instinct to get by some of the f**king games we won.
I just got done reading this myself. WOW! No wonder the team looked lost on offense and Alex looked like crap. Who wouldn't? Wow, just... wow.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Was just about to post this. This is a VERY significant article to me. Wow... changing for the better, fellas!

THIS
This explains a lot ...Singletary should have never been allowed to run the offense ..I remember Jimmy Raye said more than once.... "I'm just doing what I'm told"

I'm so glad we finally have a brilliant and creative coach again, never thought the WCO would return
Wait, don't some of the better teams have route adjustments on certain looks the defense gives them? I always thought this was like a Mike Martz or Peyton Manning thing where there are option routes built into a play call like if the WR is originally supposed to a run a curl but the DB is up on him and it automatically switches to a 9.
Share 49ersWebzone