LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Smith + Smith + Smith = (if only Reggie would have had that INT at the end)
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
i am happy for Smith.

I am still very very very concerned about him for future games.

he has always showed flashes, only to throw timely picks or fumbles.

but again, he did very well today as a whole.
Originally posted by Crown:
i am happy for Smith.

I understand, but there are real coaches in place now. That, is the biggest difference between now and years past.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Its just the mental hypnosis that Greg Roman learned from an ex-CIA professor:

Step one was reprogramming their concept of physical limitations. One of his favorite tricks is to get someone lifting weights to "scramble the number of reps in their head" so that they lose track of how many they've done. Evans said that when people don't fixate on a number, they improve by at least 30 percent over counting the reps.

Evans also guided them through mental imagery sessions -- one former player called it a "deep meditation" -- before games. That might include techniques for blocking out pain. Quarterback P.J. Insana says now that he played through a broken nose and cracked ribs that season, sometimes re-entering a game after consulting Evans on the sideline. "There's a reason I finished those games," he said.

Roman is loath to give up details, but other players of that era say Evans got them into a hyper state of alertness.

"You'd go into a game in a controlled state, calm -- a '3' -- just like we're talking right now," recalled Matt Warnement, who played on the defensive line next to Roman. "Then you'd go from a '3' to a '10' when the ball was snapped, and stay that way for about 5 seconds -- the average length of a football play. Then you'd do it over again."

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_18826000
Great post. Article is a good read
Originally posted by Furlow:
Its just the mental hypnosis that Greg Roman learned from an ex-CIA professor:

Step one was reprogramming their concept of physical limitations. One of his favorite tricks is to get someone lifting weights to "scramble the number of reps in their head" so that they lose track of how many they've done. Evans said that when people don't fixate on a number, they improve by at least 30 percent over counting the reps.

Evans also guided them through mental imagery sessions -- one former player called it a "deep meditation" -- before games. That might include techniques for blocking out pain. Quarterback P.J. Insana says now that he played through a broken nose and cracked ribs that season, sometimes re-entering a game after consulting Evans on the sideline. "There's a reason I finished those games," he said.

Roman is loath to give up details, but other players of that era say Evans got them into a hyper state of alertness.

"You'd go into a game in a controlled state, calm -- a '3' -- just like we're talking right now," recalled Matt Warnement, who played on the defensive line next to Roman. "Then you'd go from a '3' to a '10' when the ball was snapped, and stay that way for about 5 seconds -- the average length of a football play. Then you'd do it over again."

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_18826000
Great post. Article is a good read

thanks, and yes, its one of the best reads on the new coaching staff all year.
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by cook49er:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
f**k a QB rating. This is the first time in his career he actually put this team on his back and carried the team to a victory. THAT is what I am taking out of this game, not his 110+ QBR. He showed something today that he hasnt shown in 6+ years. Hes had a high QBR game before.

Really nice team game today and really great 2nd half by Alex.

Bingo. And that exactly what all of Smith haters and supporters have wanted all this time. QBR are baseless when you're passing for 150yds in a losing effort. The 2 halves were a striking contrast of good Smith, bad Smith. The last play of the first half summed up Alex's deficiencies: throwing a checkdown on a hail mary call (aka safe throw, no risk). The 2nd half where he tossed it deep to a WELL COVERED Crabs (it went incomplete) is exactly what he needs to do for this team to win: take chances and give his guys a chance to make plays. I'll take the 50 yard incomplete over the 2 yard completion (on a 3rd and 8) ANYDAY bc it shows that Alex has a plan in mind for the former whereas there's no understanding for the latter.

I disagree. Smith has had 5 come behind wins. He would have had a few more in the pass 3 years if not for the defense. Take the New Orleans game last year. If not for the defense we would have won. Or the Minnesota game from two years ago. Smith has carried this team which, by the way, has been awful at times.

NOW that isn't to say Smith hasn't been bad. He misses recievers, and otherthrows so I know where the haters are coming from.

Uhhhhh, he no play that game
f**k a QB rating. This is the first time in his career he actually put this team on his back and carried the team to a victory. THAT is what I am taking out of this game, not his 110+ QBR. He showed something today that he hasnt shown in 6+ years. Hes had a high QBR game before.

Really nice team game today and really great 2nd half by Alex.

Well, someone coudl point out a handful of games where Smith has done that but the defense let him down including the Minnesota game and the New Orleans game last year.

Minnesota game last year? SMH. Please dont tell me you are talking about the preseason game.

The New Orleans game where he had 2 horrible picks? Oh right.

Great examples bud. Thumbs up.

good reading comprehension, he put the team on his back when the game mattered. Did he throw a pick when the team needed to score in the 4th? Uhhhh no
i am happy for Smith.

Come on. Smith has been the offense this season.
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Uhhhhh, he no play that game

Yeah, I already admitted I messed up on that one. Sorry. I'm pretty drunk.
i am happy for Smith.

Considering the past, it's logical to be concerned of Smith relapsing, but so far he has played much better this season. It looks like the combo Harbaugh/Roman is working out well for Smith's career.

love how Alex Smith used his legs to buy time and then throw back to hunter for the 40 yd + pass play---things like that show he is developing as a qb
Originally posted by hofer36:
love how Alex Smith used his legs to buy time and then throw back to hunter for the 40 yd + pass play---things like that show he is developing as a qb

he's developing in year 6? I'm glad. His turnover total needs to stay down at 1 every other game.

he's developing in year 6? I'm glad. His turnover total needs to stay down at 1 every other game.

Lol. Love the Smith haters witht he Year 7 or 6. He's been the league that long but has played 3 and half years.

Lol. Love the Smith haters witht he Year 7 or 6. He's been the league that long but has played 3 and half years.

so if you think that way didn't Aaron Rodgers win a Super Bowl after year 3?
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Shaj and sus do not approve of this win!

He didn't have 430 yards, 3 picks and a loss. Not good enough....
Share 49ersWebzone