There are 206 users in the forums

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jreff22:
I am Alex, prince of the 49ers and defender of the secrets of Jim Harbaugh. Fabulous secret powers were revealed to me the day I held aloft my magic helmet and said, "by the power of Walsh...I HAVE THE POWER!!!!"

WOW. THIS IS COOL.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
f**k a QB rating. This is the first time in his career he actually put this team on his back and carried the team to a victory. THAT is what I am taking out of this game, not his 110+ QBR. He showed something today that he hasnt shown in 6+ years. Hes had a high QBR game before.

Really nice team game today and really great 2nd half by Alex.

Bingo. And that exactly what all of Smith haters and supporters have wanted all this time. QBR are baseless when you're passing for 150yds in a losing effort. The 2 halves were a striking contrast of good Smith, bad Smith. The last play of the first half summed up Alex's deficiencies: throwing a checkdown on a hail mary call (aka safe throw, no risk). The 2nd half where he tossed it deep to a WELL COVERED Crabs (it went incomplete) is exactly what he needs to do for this team to win: take chances and give his guys a chance to make plays. I'll take the 50 yard incomplete over the 2 yard completion (on a 3rd and 8) ANYDAY bc it shows that Alex has a plan in mind for the former whereas there's no understanding for the latter.
Originally posted by cook49er:
f**k a QB rating. This is the first time in his career he actually put this team on his back and carried the team to a victory. THAT is what I am taking out of this game, not his 110+ QBR. He showed something today that he hasnt shown in 6+ years. Hes had a high QBR game before.

Bingo. And that exactly what all of Smith haters and supporters have wanted all this time. QBR are baseless when you're passing for 150yds in a losing effort. The 2 halves were a striking contrast of good Smith, bad Smith. The last play of the first half summed up Alex's deficiencies: throwing a checkdown on a hail mary call (aka safe throw, no risk). The 2nd half where he tossed it deep to a WELL COVERED Crabs (it went incomplete) is exactly what he needs to do for this team to win: take chances and give his guys a chance to make plays. I'll take the 50 yard incomplete over the 2 yard completion (on a 3rd and 8) ANYDAY bc it shows that Alex has a plan in mind for the former whereas there's no understanding for the latter.

I disagree. Smith has had 5 come behind wins. He would have had a few more in the pass 3 years if not for the defense. Take the New Orleans game last year. If not for the defense we would have won. Or the Minnesota game from two years ago. Smith has carried this team which, by the way, has been awful at times.

NOW that isn't to say Smith hasn't been bad. He misses recievers, and otherthrows so I know where the haters are coming from.
Its just the mental hypnosis that Greg Roman learned from an ex-CIA professor:

Step one was reprogramming their concept of physical limitations. One of his favorite tricks is to get someone lifting weights to "scramble the number of reps in their head" so that they lose track of how many they've done. Evans said that when people don't fixate on a number, they improve by at least 30 percent over counting the reps.

Evans also guided them through mental imagery sessions -- one former player called it a "deep meditation" -- before games. That might include techniques for blocking out pain. Quarterback P.J. Insana says now that he played through a broken nose and cracked ribs that season, sometimes re-entering a game after consulting Evans on the sideline. "There's a reason I finished those games," he said.

Roman is loath to give up details, but other players of that era say Evans got them into a hyper state of alertness.

"You'd go into a game in a controlled state, calm -- a '3' -- just like we're talking right now," recalled Matt Warnement, who played on the defensive line next to Roman. "Then you'd go from a '3' to a '10' when the ball was snapped, and stay that way for about 5 seconds -- the average length of a football play. Then you'd do it over again."

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_18826000
God what a f**kin win. Both Smiths deserve the game ball. Btw I think Shaun hill was the qb for the Minnesota game.
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by cook49er:

I disagree. Smith has had 5 come behind wins. He would have had a few more in the pass 3 years if not for the defense. Take the New Orleans game last year. If not for the defense we would have won. Or the Minnesota game from two years ago. Smith has carried this team which, by the way, has been awful at times.

NOW that isn't to say Smith hasn't been bad. He misses recievers, and otherthrows so I know where the haters are coming from.

The problem with Smith is that he seems to falter on his own at times, and/or when the team needs him to produce when something else is going wrong (defense, running game, etc.), he comes up short. Today was a good example of him overcoming some of those demons and demonstrating his ability to carry the team on his shoulder. Ive seen it only once before. Against Seattle in 06.

If Alex continues to play without restraint (instead of shellshocked like he usually does), this team can go far. Vick took a lot of hits today, but he looked good because he has the ability to keep the D honest. He makes people miss, moves the pocket, makes plays when there's nothing available, and then the defense has no choice but to rush three and respect his arm. If Alex can do some of these things consistently (like the 2nd half today), I have no doubt this team is something to be reckoned with. The WCO lives and dies by its QB: Alex holds the key.

Well, someone coudl point out a handful of games where Smith has done that but the defense let him down including the Minnesota game and the New Orleans game last year.

Minnesota game last year? SMH. Please dont tell me you are talking about the preseason game.

The New Orleans game where he had 2 horrible picks? Oh right.

Great examples bud. Thumbs up.

Yup if Smith hadn't stripped Maclin from behind none of this matters. Then people would be saying Alex played fine but it was too little too late. It takes 2 sides to complete this kind of comeback. Great offense, but the defense has got to step it up too.

I think we have seen these glimpses from Smith before this was just the 1st time we actually came out on top.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 2, 2011 at 3:23 PM ]
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Oct 2, 2011 at 3:57 PM ]

Well, someone coudl point out a handful of games where Smith has done that but the defense let him down including the Minnesota game and the New Orleans game last year.

Minnesota game last year? SMH. Please dont tell me you are talking about the preseason game.

MN two years ago. New Orleans. Yes, he had picks but he broght them back and was winning at the end. The defense gave up both TDs at the end.

he's proving himself this year.

MN two years ago. New Orleans. Yes, he had picks but he broght them back and was winning at the end. The defense gave up both TDs at the end.

Ohhh....of course you meant Minnesota 2 seasons ago. The one where Alex went 0-0 with 0 yards and 0 TDs?

Another stellar example. Thumbs up!

Ohhh....of course you meant Minnesota 2 seasons ago. The one where Alex went 0-0 with 0 yards and 0 TDs?

Yikes. Smith didnt' play that game. My bad. I do aplogozie. I'll not mention that one again unless we are talking about the defnese. Sorry.

Yikes. Smith didnt' play that game. My bad. I do aplogozie. I'll not mention that one again unless we are talking about the defnese. Sorry.d

Yikes. Smith didnt' play that game. My bad. I do aplogozie. I'll not mention that one again unless we are talking about the defnese. Sorry.d
Share 49ersWebzone