There are 110 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex Smith Thread

Originally posted by Furlow:
Uh, someone SPECIFICALLY said we should put Kaepernick in when we're in the red zone. You seemed to be defending that option, so I asked the question.

But please - do tell, under what circumstance do you think it would be wise to bring in a different QB in the red zone? Please enlighten us with your "Walshian" wisdom

Not defending it. Just noted that it has been done before when you mentioned how terrible of an idea it is. You're great at making things up and putting words in people's posts.
Prove it or STFU

Your tone makes wonderful for conversation if someone wants to get warned. You won't make me bite, don't worry.

I'll wait for Alex to prove me wrong. He has not yet. Hope he does, but he hasn't...yet.
[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 7, 2011 at 3:50 PM ]
Uh, someone SPECIFICALLY said we should put Kaepernick in when we're in the red zone. You seemed to be defending that option, so I asked the question.

But please - do tell, under what circumstance do you think it would be wise to bring in a different QB in the red zone? Please enlighten us with your "Walshian" wisdom

Not resigning Alex Smith would be a very stupid football decision by the 49ers. He will be a cheap option for a top 10 QB in the league. Heck, depending on how you measure QB play you can say he's a top 5 QB.
Prove it or STFU

I'm not a snitch, but for you I'll make the exception.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Prove it or STFU

Your tone makes wonderful for conversation if someone wants to get warned. You won't make me bite, don't worry.

I'll wait for Alex to prove me wrong. He has not yet. Hope he does, but he hasn't...yet.

What is with you? You were all into the Alex love for a short while... after having detracted on him for what seemed forever... and just like that, you reverted back.

It's kinda fascinating, really. Do you ever just hold to any particular belief? Or just flip-flop on everything? You don't have to answer, and I'm not "attacking" you... but it's just the strangest thing I have ever seen on any forum.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
This is 2011. VD gets double teamed in the red zone. Remember the non throw to Crabtree that everyone was talking about in the Seattle game...Smith's initial look was to VD. He was bracketed by 2 guys. Remember the 4th down play in the Lions' game, VD drew 2 defenders with him into the end zone, giving room for Delanie to run a slant without closing on another defender on his way into the end zone.

If you have to go back to '09 to come up with that stats on VD, you know the defense has been doing a job on VD down in the end zone. They have very actively taken away VD in the red zone. You now see VD scoring from the outside, or what do they sometime call it-- the green zone...? and mostly to the corner.

You can't say Alex has no red zone threats and then say Vernon Davis demands double coverage every time he's in the red zone. Right there in that statement you are acknowledging that Vernon Davis is a red zone threat.

Go back to 09 and you will see Vernon scoring touchdowns on bracket coverage. Calvin gets doubled almost every time too, Detroit's still going to pick their spots and challenge that coverage. The difference between now and 09 is we had to score those touchdowns then, now we're perfectly fine taking the points.

Double coverage on Vernon means single coverage elsewhere.

This isn't Alex bashing either. We weren't this inept in the red zone before. You go back to 09 we were 5th in red zone scoring percentage. 23 touchdowns in 39 trips. 2010 we dropped to 45%. This year we're 31st and with a 38.1% TD ratio.

With our defense I don't blame us for playing safe in the red zone, but I do think it's something that has to be worked out. Playoff time against the Saints and Packers you're going to have score some TD's.

The following is what I initially said:

I think having big receivers help in the red zone area, especially inside the 15-10yds. They are able to shield and jump for a catch. As of right now other than VD and Crabtree there's no one that fit that criteria. Both Braylon and Morgan are hurt. Ginn and Williams are smallish. D. Walker can help. They should involved him more, but I don't know that he has the catching experience to do a good job. He has proven people wrong thus far on the other things he wasn't suppose to be able to do.

In the redzone players are packed tighter together. Defenders can closed quickly in a tighten field of play. Speed of the offense is a bit neutralized because of this. So size is the overriding factor in this situation.

What I'm saying with VD and Crabtree in the redzone, especially close to the end zone is that VD is usually double teamed and gets a lot of attention from 2 defenders. Crabtree is the only other one who has the size to make that TD catch. But if he can't get open or somehow got 'caught up', we don't have a 3rd option. Another big guy to make that catch in the end zone. Braylon and Morgan should have been those options but they are hurt.

The way I see us overcoming that is for us to start throwing into the end zone from about 30-20 yards out to take advantage of the speed and quickness of Ginn and Williams. And not wait until we get inside the 15-10, where their speed becomes less of an advantage and their size becomes a detriment. Pretty sure this is why we saw some balls thrown to Ginn and Williams in the Rams game. I could be wrong on the distance but I think it came around about the 20s or beyond.

We can play fake the run then throw when we get very close to the goal line, but that only works for so long until it gets predictable. We really need Braylon back into the lineup. And it's ashamed that Morgan is lost for the season.

In a way it sorta coincide with what you are saying. But I disagree with your notion that the Lions have been actively forcing the ball to Calvin Johnson. So we should do the same and force it to VD in double coverage. In the game against us, we double teamed C. Johnson. They didn't forced it to Calvin, they went instead to Pettigrew another big body TE, I think 2 times that game. Thanks to Patrick freak'n Willis, Pettigrew only had 1TD and also Burleson, another big WR by the way.

The rest of the other points I'm too lazy to reiterate. You just have to reread my previous posts
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 7, 2011 at 4:25 PM ]
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by taney71:
Not resigning Alex Smith would be a very stupid football decision by the 49ers. He will be a cheap option for a top 10 QB in the league. Heck, depending on how you measure QB play you can say he's a top 5 QB.

I agree. Not sure why everyone is so angry with the idea of bringing Smith back after what this team has accomplished this year. Said this during the off season, if Smith is not going to be the QB then who. I was fine with Hasselbeck then but that didn't happen and with what has transpired this year things are even more different now. You don't just let I guy that has led us to the NFC West crown go unless you have a better QB waiting in the wings. Kaep is still a project and did not show me anything this preseason to suggest he should start over Smith.. Will one year of growth change that? That's a gamble I wouldn't care to take.

Other then Luck, I don't see a rookie prospect out there you can take to the bank so that leaves FA. Many will argue Manning but I don't feel comfortable with that acquisition due to the neck injury. Also this will cost us some picks so you better be sure that a 38 year old HOF QB can be the man going forward, and you better get Kaep ready to play because his time will be that much sooner.
The following is what I initially said:

In a way it sorta coincide with what you are saying. But I disagree with your notion that the Lions have been actively forcing the ball to Calvin Johnson. So we should do the same and force it to VD in double coverage. In the game against us, we double teamed C. Johnson. They didn't forced it to Calvin, they went instead to Pettigrew another big body TE, I think 2 times that game. Thanks to Patrick freak'n Willis, Pettigrew only had 1TD and also Burleson.

The rest of the other points I'm too lazy to reiterate. You just have to reread my previous posts

Fair enough, but I'm not calling for us to force the ball into double coverage. There's just times in the NFL where you do throw into double coverage and let your guy make a play on it. Detroit does it with Calvin, we did it in 09 wjth Vernon. Even in bracket coverage there's going to be times when there's a window of opportunity.

The rest of my points state our increasingly inefficient red zone offense. We never had great receivers yet we've been then this.
Difficult to imagine A. Smith elsewhere next year

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Prove it or STFU

What is with you? You were all into the Alex love for a short while... after having detracted on him for what seemed forever... and just like that, you reverted back.

It's kinda fascinating, really. Do you ever just hold to any particular belief? Or just flip-flop on everything? You don't have to answer, and I'm not "attacking" you... but it's just the strangest thing I have ever seen on any forum.

this will be ignored, but i'll bump it
He's not going anywhere.

The only question is how much of a commitment are we going to give him?
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Prove it or STFU

I defended Alex all year even before we signed him saying he's our best option. I only appearded to have "hated" him in the past week and a half when someone commented that he would be right up there with he best QBs this year if we had better WRs. The only time I have criticized Alex is when someone mentions the lack of talent around him. That is when I say that he has top level talent around him and that he is the reason why the roof hasn't blown off this pass game.

"We don't have deep threats" to that I say false and that Alex has yet to prove he can hit he deep sideline route accurately.

"our guys are not dependable" to that I have said false do to what people who watch coaches film every week have said that Alex has missed a lot of opportunities and that he hasn't shown the ability to consistently throw a WR open.

Sorry for pointing out things he has yet to show ONLY when others want to complain that it is due to lack of talent around him.
2 of our starting receivers are injured, Braylon and Morgan. No, he does not have top receiving talent on the field with him right now.
Prove it or STFU

OMG man, I was repeating what ghosts just said to me. Take a joke

Not defending it. Just noted that it has been done before when you mentioned how terrible of an idea it is. You're great at making things up and putting words in people's posts.
You were defending it. Now you're not. Wow man... You definitely get the DB coaching position!