LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 292 users in the forums

Alex Smith Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He's not going anywhere.

The only question is how much of a commitment are we going to give him?
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Prove it or STFU

Your tone makes wonderful for conversation if someone wants to get warned. You won't make me bite, don't worry.

I'll wait for Alex to prove me wrong. He has not yet. Hope he does, but he hasn't...yet.

What is with you? You were all into the Alex love for a short while... after having detracted on him for what seemed forever... and just like that, you reverted back.

It's kinda fascinating, really. Do you ever just hold to any particular belief? Or just flip-flop on everything? You don't have to answer, and I'm not "attacking" you... but it's just the strangest thing I have ever seen on any forum.

I defended Alex all year even before we signed him saying he's our best option. I only appearded to have "hated" him in the past week and a half when someone commented that he would be right up there with he best QBs this year if we had better WRs. The only time I have criticized Alex is when someone mentions the lack of talent around him. That is when I say that he has top level talent around him and that he is the reason why the roof hasn't blown off this pass game.

"We don't have deep threats" to that I say false and that Alex has yet to prove he can hit he deep sideline route accurately.

"our guys are not dependable" to that I have said false do to what people who watch coaches film every week have said that Alex has missed a lot of opportunities and that he hasn't shown the ability to consistently throw a WR open.

Sorry for pointing out things he has yet to show ONLY when others want to complain that it is due to lack of talent around him.
2 of our starting receivers are injured, Braylon and Morgan. No, he does not have top receiving talent on the field with him right now.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Prove it or STFU

Your tone makes wonderful for conversation if someone wants to get warned. You won't make me bite, don't worry.

I'll wait for Alex to prove me wrong. He has not yet. Hope he does, but he hasn't...yet.
OMG man, I was repeating what ghosts just said to me. Take a joke
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Uh, someone SPECIFICALLY said we should put Kaepernick in when we're in the red zone. You seemed to be defending that option, so I asked the question.

But please - do tell, under what circumstance do you think it would be wise to bring in a different QB in the red zone? Please enlighten us with your "Walshian" wisdom

Not defending it. Just noted that it has been done before when you mentioned how terrible of an idea it is. You're great at making things up and putting words in people's posts.
You were defending it. Now you're not. Wow man... You definitely get the DB coaching position!
I defended Alex all year even before we signed him saying he's our best option. I only appearded to have "hated" him in the past week and a half when someone commented that he would be right up there with he best QBs this year if we had better WRs. The only time I have criticized Alex is when someone mentions the lack of talent around him. That is when I say that he has top level talent around him and that he is the reason why the roof hasn't blown off this pass game.

"We don't have deep threats" to that I say false and that Alex has yet to prove he can hit he deep sideline route accurately.

"our guys are not dependable" to that I have said false do to what people who watch coaches film every week have said that Alex has missed a lot of opportunities and that he hasn't shown the ability to consistently throw a WR open.

Sorry for pointing out things he has yet to show ONLY when others want to complain that it is due to lack of talent around him.

So your assessments of Alex revolve around your annoyances of fan discussion about him... interesting. If a poster defends him too much? Alex is teh suxxorz... if a poster condemns him too much? He is teh goods qwaterbacken.

So your assessments of Alex revolve around your annoyances of fan discussion about him... interesting. If a poster defends him too much? Alex is teh suxxorz... if a poster condemns him too much? He is teh goods qwaterbacken.

He's good as long as no one says he's good.

LOL this thread is out of control.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Prove it or STFU

What is with you? You were all into the Alex love for a short while... after having detracted on him for what seemed forever... and just like that, you reverted back.

It's kinda fascinating, really. Do you ever just hold to any particular belief? Or just flip-flop on everything? You don't have to answer, and I'm not "attacking" you... but it's just the strangest thing I have ever seen on any forum.
This is what I'm talking about. I feel like these guys say things just to incite. Then when they get called out they back track and try to make it sound like we're all crazy for calling them out. Unbelievable
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Prove it or STFU

These are all great points about what Smith needs improve on. Both sides have a bias and will look for stats that defend their side. The deep throws are something that must improve. Rather you feel it is on Smith or the WRs doesn't matter. It is something as a team we must improve on to succeed in the playoffs. I personally am on the idea that it is somthing Harbaugh sees and is trying to improve on.

Simply put it is not a question of talent as execution. This is on all aspects of the offense and what I am looking for is improvement on this going forward. We can see some of this last game on the passes to Crabtree and Davis, but still need to see it on outside throws. Personally I love the fact we are 10-2 and still have room for improvement. If these issues are resolved come playoff time we can start talking about our 6th Super bowl win. Without these improvement we will simply be the NFC west Champs.
[ Edited by dwett on Dec 7, 2011 at 5:18 PM ]
Walsh did put Montana into games for the Red Zone in place of DeBerg. Of course, the team record was more like 2-10 than 10-2 during his first year so it really didn't matter. Even if you think CK is akin to Montana and Smith is a DeBerg then you should still understand the difference it makes when a team has a chance to play in the post season.

Joecool, it is odd that you think the WRs are so good. I agree that they have potential but so does Rachal. He is big, strong and hasn't proven to be a great guard. Crabtree and Edwards have the most talent of out current WRs but neither has proven to be a game changer. As a matter of fact Williams has proven more of a game changer in one game than these two. Crabtree had a chance to score and dropped the ball, while Williams took it to the house. Edwards had a couple of impressive plays but has been injured since. So what would you have us say about Smith? Well, Smith isn't playing well because WRs keep dropping the ball or are injured? Is it Smith's fault?

Crabtree ran under a perfectly thrown ball and caught it for a touchdown...wow! You might think he is as good as the GB receivers! He might be someday but he isn't yet.

Edit: Should have made this clear--don't care so much about the drops, it is the fantastic catches that other make that keeps our receivers from being considered in the same league.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 7, 2011 at 5:28 PM ]

Its a discussion board, but it doesn't mean I'm doing what furlow thinks I'm doing. So you've never replied to anyone if they say Smith sucks or he's elite? Don't answer, I already know the answer to that. I have a positive stance on Alex Smith but forgive me if I think there are things he hasn't shown that don't put him with "elite" QBs. But that would be flip flopping, and flip flopping isn't tolerated.

Taking a stance on Alex Smith isn't black and white like you appear you think people should portray it. There's positives and negatives. Forgive me for pointing out both when some ONLy one side.
Share 49ersWebzone