LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

Alex Smith Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
A Boomer sighting. Holy crap.

Now back on topic, as a previous poster mentioned, our primary Red Zone targets in the past were Morgan (often used on the corner route) and Vernon (stick route).

Braylon was supposed to help with being the jump ball guy. He's dropped a few he got his hands on, and now he's hurt and not much of a factor.

Spreading the field make sense. It opens up the possibility of more quick routes, QB draw, RB shovel pass, etc. -- We need to give it a shot, in my opinion.

The funny thing is... I think Williams is the only receiver who's actually managed to catch the fade route this season.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
wha? you said, "Brady doesn't have big receivers." that's a declarative statement, not an if/then. Either you didn't articulate well or you are sloppily covering your ass. Anyway, it doesn't matter; you are right that play design and accuracy have a huge role in red zone effectiveness. But so do big receivers, or receivers who are able to position themselves well in tight spaces.

Welker is in the top 5 because he's a top 5 receiver. His awareness, route running, hands, ability with the ball in his hands, communication with the QB, and understanding of the offense are elite.
Brady's been doing his thing alot longer than last season. Before Gronkowski, and even before Moss too.

And Vernon had a 13 touchdown season not too long ago. You go back to that year and Alex/ Hill threaded alot of seam passes (7) in the endzone to Vernon. I think we play more conservatively than before in the red zone because we know just how good our defense is.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Dec 6, 2011 at 10:33 PM ]
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Now back on topic, as a previous poster mentioned, our primary Red Zone targets in the past were Morgan (often used on the corner route) and Vernon (stick route).

Braylon was supposed to help with being the jump ball guy. He's dropped a few he got his hands on, and now he's hurt and not much of a factor.

Spreading the field make sense. It opens up the possibility of more quick routes, QB draw, RB shovel pass, etc. -- We need to give it a shot, in my opinion.

The funny thing is... I think Williams is the only receiver who's actually managed to catch the fade route this season.

I think I've seen Smith throw the back-shoulder fade to Crabtree and Braylon both at least two or three times. One Crabtree only got one foot in, and I think the other was dropped.

Some guys can out play their size. Hopefully Williams is one. In the end size may not matter. If he has shown he can do it, why not throw to him. Steve Smith just gets it done. Maybe Williams too.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

I think I've seen Smith throw the back-shoulder fade to Crabtree and Braylon both at least two or three times. One Crabtree only got one foot in, and I think the other was dropped.

Yep. All passes were placed well enough, but the receivers couldn't make the catch. Except 5'10'' Kyle Williams.
after this many years this is probably the first time Alex has had fun playing in the NFL
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Some guys can out play their size. Hopefully Williams is one. In the end size may not matter. If he has shown he can do it, why not throw to him. Steve Smith just gets it done. Maybe Williams too.

That would be so f**king rad... Steve Smith is awesome. I'm gonna write my letter to Saint Nick now.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
after this many years this is probably the first time Alex has had fun playing in the NFL

I get the same impression. He's finally playing loose and with instinct. He reverts back to old habits at times, but just watching him sliding in the pocket this season I feel like he's just out there playing football and not over-thinking things.

I don't care about the silly back and forth stuff that's going on... comparisons and buzz words. f**k all that noise.

I'm happy as a fan that my team is 10-2 and I'm happy for every player that's on the team.

It's a great time to be a 49ers fan!
One thing I've noticed that this year Alex is pretty money on the fade route. We should run it more but only to Kwill and Crabs down in the red zone
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think having big receivers help in the red zone area, especially inside the 15-10yds. They are able to shield and jump for a catch. As of right now other than VD and Crabtree there's no one that fit that criteria. Both Braylon and Morgan are hurt. Ginn and Williams are smallish. D. Walker can help. They should involved him more, but I don't know that he has the catching experience to do a good job. He has proven people wrong thus far on the other things he wasn't suppose to be able to do.

In the redzone players are packed tighter together. Defenders can closed quickly in a tighten field of play. Speed of the offense is a bit neutralized because of this. So size is the overriding factor in this situation.

Tom Brady doesn't have big receivers.

I think it's just a matter of play design or throwing a receiver open or the ability to squeeze it in super tight spots...no homo.

Gronkowski is 6-6 and 265 pounds.

and has a s**t ton of TD's as well

Joe you aren't making this easy on yourself whatsoever

And we have Vernon. What's your point?

Gronk is a 6'6 lanky pass catching TE, he's bigger then Vernon and catches better then Vernon, Gronk is a more natural pass catcher but cant block for s**t.

Point is Brady does have a big target and by the amount of TD's he constantly gets and the records he's breaking Brady uses him a lot.

My point was if Brady does than so do we. I thought Vernon was one of the best tight ends in the league. Also, crabtrees long arms make him much taller than 6'2" because he is also "lanky".

Joe ...JESUS CHRIST

Gronk is 5 inches taller, his arms are the same length as Crabs, and he can jump higher. HE IS A BIGGER TARGET!!

And where the hell in, "Tom Brady doesn't have big receivers. I think it's just a matter of play design or throwing a receiver open or the ability to squeeze it in super tight spots". Does it mean, "My point was if Brady does than so do we."

Brady has bigger guys, its a physical advantage, it has nothing to do with Brady's superior throwing ability that you so subtlely remarked at. When it comes to going up and getting it, the bigger guy wins. That's why we want a 6'3 or bigger WR next year, for that very purpose.

Do you pay attention to any other teams?

Gronk is only 3 inches taller than Vernon. Their other two targets are 5'9".

Vernon is 6'3" with a very high vertical. Crabtree is 6'1" and was scouted with longer arms than his height.

The original comment was that our receivers are short and that's why we don't score. Brady doesn't exactly have height all around. Gronk has three inches but Vernon has he vertical. So I don't see how that makes us so short in our targets.

I think having big receivers help in the red zone area, especially inside the 15-10yds. They are able to shield and jump for a catch. As of right now other than VD and Crabtree there's no one that fit that criteria. Both Braylon and Morgan are hurt. Ginn and Williams are smallish. D. Walker can help. They should involved him more, but I don't know that he has the catching experience to do a good job. He has proven people wrong thus far on the other things he wasn't suppose to be able to do.

In the redzone players are packed tighter together. Defenders can closed quickly in a tighten field of play. Speed of the offense is a bit neutralized because of this. So size is the overriding factor in this situation.

I think it's just a matter of play design or throwing a receiver open or the ability to squeeze it in super tight spots...no homo.

Gronk is a 6'6 lanky pass catching TE, he's bigger then Vernon and catches better then Vernon, Gronk is a more natural pass catcher but cant block for s**t.

Point is Brady does have a big target and by the amount of TD's he constantly gets and the records he's breaking Brady uses him a lot.

My point was if Brady does than so do we. I thought Vernon was one of the best tight ends in the league. Also, crabtrees long arms make him much taller than 6'2" because he is also "lanky".

Joe ...JESUS CHRIST

Gronk is 5 inches taller, his arms are the same length as Crabs, and he can jump higher. HE IS A BIGGER TARGET!!

And where the hell in, "Tom Brady doesn't have big receivers. I think it's just a matter of play design or throwing a receiver open or the ability to squeeze it in super tight spots". Does it mean, "My point was if Brady does than so do we."

Brady has bigger guys, its a physical advantage, it has nothing to do with Brady's superior throwing ability that you so subtlely remarked at. When it comes to going up and getting it, the bigger guy wins. That's why we want a 6'3 or bigger WR next year, for that very purpose.

Vernon is 6'3" with a very high vertical. Crabtree is 6'1" and was scouted with longer arms than his height.

The original comment was that our receivers are short and that's why we don't score. Brady doesn't exactly have height all around. Gronk has three inches but Vernon has he vertical. So I don't see how that makes us so short in our targets.

Our targets are all pretty small other than Vernon. Look at the roster..... And don't give me "Braylon Edwards." When was the last consistent time period you saw him healthy?
God this is a grumpy thread. Reminds me of the bad times, when we were getting caned weekly.

You are allowed to enjoy being 10-2. Just saying.
Originally posted by English:
God this is a grumpy thread. Reminds me of the bad times, when we were getting caned weekly.

You are allowed to enjoy being 10-2. Just saying.

It's not pretty enough for these guys. They know that we are a mere 1 - 11 in "pretty wins." That is the TRUE RECORD. Forget all this 10 - 2 stuff. We are really 1 - 11 and Alexis Ssmmitthy is a SSUUKKOORRRZZ QB....
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Joe ...JESUS CHRIST

Our targets are all pretty small other than Vernon. Look at the roster..... And don't give me "Braylon Edwards." When was the last consistent time period you saw him healthy?

Yes and so are NEs besides Gronk.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Joe ...JESUS CHRIST

Yes and so are NEs besides Gronk.

I don't see their guys having hands like Ginn and Edwards and even VD ocassionally. This team still has way too many drops. NFL wr's / te's are supposed to be able to catch. Like hitting the guy between the 1 and the 9 and getting a drop. Or a perfect 50 yard bomb, hitting a guy in full stride, on the finger tips....DROP.

GB and NE have among the best "hands" team guys in the league.
Share 49ersWebzone