LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Alex Smith Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I think having big receivers help in the red zone area, especially inside the 15-10yds. They are able to shield and jump for a catch. As of right now other than VD and Crabtree there's no one that fit that criteria. Both Braylon and Morgan are hurt. Ginn and Williams are smallish. D. Walker can help. They should involved him more, but I don't know that he has the catching experience to do a good job. He has proven people wrong thus far on the other things he wasn't suppose to be able to do.

In the redzone players are packed tighter together. Defenders can closed quickly in a tighten field of play. Speed of the offense is a bit neutralized because of this. So size is the overriding factor in this situation.

Tom Brady doesn't have big receivers.

I think it's just a matter of play design or throwing a receiver open or the ability to squeeze it in super tight spots...no homo.

Ya but if you go back and look at the touchdowns thrown last week against the colts, the TE was just wide open on both touchdowns that he "caught". Ridiculously wide open. It is the colts though and they suck this year but they wouldn't be pulling that shi last season.
[ Edited by Shorteous on Dec 6, 2011 at 8:58 PM ]
I think having big receivers help in the red zone area, especially inside the 15-10yds. They are able to shield and jump for a catch. As of right now other than VD and Crabtree there's no one that fit that criteria. Both Braylon and Morgan are hurt. Ginn and Williams are smallish. D. Walker can help. They should involved him more, but I don't know that he has the catching experience to do a good job. He has proven people wrong thus far on the other things he wasn't suppose to be able to do.

In the redzone players are packed tighter together. Defenders can closed quickly in a tighten field of play. Speed of the offense is a bit neutralized because of this. So size is the overriding factor in this situation.

I think it's just a matter of play design or throwing a receiver open or the ability to squeeze it in super tight spots...no homo.

Gronkowski is 6-6 and 265 pounds.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

and has a s**t ton of TD's as well

Joe you aren't making this easy on yourself whatsoever
Originally posted by jreff22:

And we have Vernon. What's your point?
Alex has given us a chance to win every game we have played this season. I really don't know what else you can ask from the position.

I've been on both sides of the great Smith debate. I remember saying "Give this kid something to work with" as clearly as "What a bust, let's move on." I'm in the camp that he actually started to play pretty efficiently last year and to me the tipping point for him was the Detroit Lions game more so than any other game or moment in his career. Down 10-0 to a undefeated team exuding so much arrogance playing in their barn. The Detroit fans were insane. Even watching from the comfort of home I could tell that place was LOUD! The entire team stepped up obviously, but even taking into account the pick and the other spots that didn't hit, Alex played a whale of a game. Tough, calm and ultimately clutch.

I see Brees, Rodgers and Brady. We all do. The numbers are silly and the play is nothing short of art sometimes. The one hand washes the other philosophy applies. Brady-Belichick, Brees-Payton, Rodgers-McCarthy. There is a reason these teams are successful. In no way do I put him up there but Alex finally has a football soulmate so to speak. It's a huge part of the formula for a franchise's success. Alex is going to be a great late bloomer for us. He's heady, athletic and I don't really care what Greg Cosell says, when he's confident in what he is doing the dude can throw a very pretty ball. I would argue for as tough and solid as Frank has been this year, Alex Smith in my mind is hands down the team's offensive M.V.P..

I have alot of faith in this team. In my mind teams like the Packers eventually get got. A team peaks but eventually another team steps up. It's the NFL. Who was going to beat the Rams the year they lost? Who was going to beat the Patriots the year they lost?

Go Niners.

By the way... How good is Aldon Smith?
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Come on now, don't you start oldman. We're just trying to have a civilized conversation...with a bunch of nutjobs!!! I don't know how many times I have to say that I love the way Smith is playing this year, and I'm excited that he's led this team to a 10-2 record. But because (when asked) I think guys like Rivers, Romo and even Bradford would do just as well in this system (or maybe better), all of a sudden I'm a hater?

Makes no sense.

I can't understand it either Ghost

At this point I see nothing left to do but...

Not a hater, but I just don't see what those guys have done? Romo? He has cost his team many games this season. Look at the Detroit game where they blew a huge lead due to Romo's stupid mistakes. Rivers fumbled a ball in the redzone and blew a game. He's also thrown quite a few picks this season at crucial times, Bradford he's having a worse season than Alex had his 2nd season by far, but he's somehow better?

These guys get more yards and amazing plays, but that also leaves them vulnerable to making big mistakes. Huge mistakes. Why would that change here?

~Romo with one of the top defenses in the league (ours) would be a better option than Smith (IMO) as he wouldn't have to play such a high risk game
~Rivers when playing with one of the better defenses in the league (Chargers 2006 - 2009) led his team to multiple playoffs (Smith is going to his first playoffs)
~Bradford had a better rookie season than Smith by far. In fact, Bradford's rookie season was better on most counts than any of Smith's seasons prior to this one. I'm not going to discount Bradford for one bad season (his second), just as I'm sure you didn't discount Smith for his multiple bad seasons prior to this one.
So your answer is...? Trade for Romo, Rivers, or Bradford? Or just complain incessantly about our QB is playing excellent football and has led our team to 10-2?

The hate just runs DEEP in some people, they can't let go.

Dude, seriously? You didn't even bother to read my other posts on the last few pages. You just assume things and comment without bothering to look for any context, all the good things I've been saying about Alex (in the past and especially today), how I agreed with Harbaugh in bringing back Alex and for keeping him as the starter all year and even beyond if we win it all, and why I'm talking about these other QBs?

People, READ and COMPREHEND before you reply, I beg you.

Your backpedal technique is excellent today, sir! You should see if your local high school JV team needs a DB coach

Gronk is a 6'6 lanky pass catching TE, he's bigger then Vernon and catches better then Vernon, Gronk is a more natural pass catcher but cant block for s**t.

Point is Brady does have a big target and by the amount of TD's he constantly gets and the records he's breaking Brady uses him a lot.
Come on now, don't you start oldman. We're just trying to have a civilized conversation...with a bunch of nutjobs!!! I don't know how many times I have to say that I love the way Smith is playing this year, and I'm excited that he's led this team to a 10-2 record. But because (when asked) I think guys like Rivers, Romo and even Bradford would do just as well in this system (or maybe better), all of a sudden I'm a hater?

Makes no sense.

Not a hater, but I just don't see what those guys have done? Romo? He has cost his team many games this season. Look at the Detroit game where they blew a huge lead due to Romo's stupid mistakes. Rivers fumbled a ball in the redzone and blew a game. He's also thrown quite a few picks this season at crucial times, Bradford he's having a worse season than Alex had his 2nd season by far, but he's somehow better?

These guys get more yards and amazing plays, but that also leaves them vulnerable to making big mistakes. Huge mistakes. Why would that change here?

~Romo with one of the top defenses in the league (ours) would be a better option than Smith (IMO) as he wouldn't have to play such a high risk game
~Rivers when playing with one of the better defenses in the league (Chargers 2006 - 2009) led his team to multiple playoffs (Smith is going to his first playoffs)
~Bradford had a better rookie season than Smith by far. In fact, Bradford's rookie season was better on most counts than any of Smith's seasons prior to this one. I'm not going to discount Bradford for one bad season (his second), just as I'm sure you didn't discount Smith for his multiple bad seasons prior to this one.
So your answer is...? Trade for Romo, Rivers, or Bradford? Or just complain incessantly about our QB is playing excellent football and has led our team to 10-2?

Dude, seriously? You didn't even bother to read my other posts on the last few pages. You just assume things and comment without bothering to look for any context, all the good things I've been saying about Alex (in the past and especially today), how I agreed with Harbaugh in bringing back Alex and for keeping him as the starter all year and even beyond if we win it all, and why I'm talking about these other QBs?

Your backpedal technique is excellent today, sir! You should see if your local high school JV team needs a DB coach

Show me where I've backpedaled. Please.

Gronk is a 6'6 lanky pass catching TE, he's bigger then Vernon and catches better then Vernon, Gronk is a more natural pass catcher but cant block for s**t.

Point is Brady does have a big target and by the amount of TD's he constantly gets and the records he's breaking Brady uses him a lot.

My point was if Brady does than so do we. I thought Vernon was one of the best tight ends in the league. Also, crabtrees long arms make him much taller than 6'2" because he is also "lanky".
[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 6, 2011 at 9:08 PM ]
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Makes no sense.

Show me where I've backpedaled. Please.

It's all good man. If I somehow Jedi mind tricked you into saying positive things about Alex Smith, then today was a success.

LOL @ keeping Alex Smith "if we win it all." As if his play so far this season doesn't already warrant that.

Come on man, PLEASE give us some options at QB that you think we should pursue. And if you say that we should bring in Kaepernick in the red zone I might flip out

BTW Wes welker is top 5 in TDs. Was Vernon a great scorer not too long ago? My point, we have the talent at receiving to score.

Terrel Suggs said it best "The white tight end, baby! He's always there when you need him."

"The white tight end. He's American Express. He's everywhere you want to be. Don't leave home without him."

you said that Brady doesn't have big receivers and that its a matter of throwing them open, or play design.

But Brady does have big receivers.

throwing them open and play design is a big part of it, as is the awareness of the receiver.

but saying brady doesn't have big receivers is false. that's the point.
It's all good man. If I somehow Jedi mind tricked you into saying positive things about Alex Smith, then today was a success.

LOL @ keeping Alex Smith "if we win it all." As if his play so far this season doesn't already warrant that.

Come on man, PLEASE give us some options at QB that you think we should pursue. And if you say that we should bring in Kaepernick in the red zone I might flip out

So you will flip out at a theory use by walsh in bringing a young QB for the red zone only?
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
We should put Kaep in when we get in the redzone. It's clear Harbaugh has zero confidence in Smith to throw the ball in that area. As Steve Young said, "nobody is open in the redzone." And we need a guy with much bigger testicles that isn't afraid to sling it. As the QB coach said in the Raven's game, we need someone who is bold.

You are so much better than this. Smh.
Share 49ersWebzone