LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

Alex Smith Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
~Bradford had a better rookie season than Smith by far. In fact, Bradford's rookie season was better on most counts than any of Smith's seasons prior to this one. I'm not going to discount Bradford for one bad season (his second), just as I'm sure you didn't discount Smith for his multiple bad seasons prior to this one.

And Smith had a far better second season than Bradford does.
I would love to see the Alex tour of redemption next year

Every OC and ex HC should be on the list of teams that we should play so Alex can walk over them

Norv
Sing
Nolan
McCarthy
Hostetler (spl)
is Raye coaching?

all of these guys
The QB position can be upgraded on this team by above average or good players.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
At home, the Alex Smith led San Francisco 49ers offense is tied for 3rd in the league with 4.4 red zone attempts per game.

Tied with the Green Bay Packers.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
For those talking about Bradford.. I think the best thing you can do is say he's in a very similar situation as Alex was in early in his career.

Defensive HC.
No OL.
No WRs.
New OC after first year.
Injured.

Only difference was he had pro-bowler Steven Jackson in his rookie year. Gore started in Alex's 2nd season. He had Kevan Barlow as a starter as a rookie.

I wouldn't count him out yet, because I feel like McDaniels system suits him so well. If he gets more weapons, gets protection, gets healthy, and another year in the system, Bradford will likely look a lot better than he has so far.

Kind of early to call him garbage when he hasn't even finished two seasons. Of course, I'm fine with him stinking it up -- more wins for us.

The shock of Bradford failing would have long-lasting effect on the Rams because of the huge $50 million guarantee that's pro-rated over the years. That amount made JaMarcus Russell's guarantee of $32 million puny in comparison.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Someone (gnnhan7) suggested adding years to this list so here is the new and improved list:

GB: McCarthy/Rodgers 2006-2011
NO: Peyton/Brees 2006-2011
SD: Turner/Rivers 2007-2011
Ind: Moore (OC)/P Manning 1998-2011
Pitts: Arians (OC)/Roethlisberger 2004-2011
NE: Weiss/Brady 2000-2004 McDaniels/Brady 2001-2008 O'Brien/Brady 2007-2011

Brady has had several changes but McDaniels and O'Brien were QB coaches who moved up and did well as OCs. McDaniels made his rep with Brady.

Nolan/McCarthy 2005
Nolan/Turner 2006
Nolan/Hostler2007
Nolan/Martz 2008
Singletary/Martz 2009
Singletary/Raye 2009-2010
Singletary/Johnson 2010
Harbaugh/Roman 2011

I did not include E Manning or Romo because I believe they are not in this category.

Good stuff.

Just confirmed what most of us who watched football for a while already knew. Talent and coaching goes together and it usually takes a few years to make an offense look like an elite offense.
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Backpedaling?

Neither Ghost nor I mentioned anything close to the statement "Alex is not very good". If someone posted that, I would respond and say they're crazy.

As for the Manning thing, it's way too early to tell. We've got at least 5 more games to play and how Alex plays will be important in determining our future direction with the team. Will he keep improving on the Rams game, or will he take a step back? Will we start turning our lead leading amount of field goals into touchdowns?

I have no doubt Alex has the potential to be a top QB, it's just he hasn't had the consistency of play to deserve that kind of praise yet. I understand people saying he could get there, but anyone saying Alex has arrived or is better than Pillip Rivers, Tony Romo, Eli manning, Matt Schaub or other QBs who have years of good play to fall back on is being a total homer.

Just like anyone saying Alex is not very good is a total hater.

Smith did pretty well against the Giants. One can say he outperformed Eli Manning in that game.
Originally posted by okdkid:
At home, the Alex Smith led San Francisco 49ers offense is tied for 3rd in the league with 4.4 red zone attempts per game.

We need TDs instead of field goals. I'm just as frustrated about that inability as much as any 'haters'. But I'm not so quick as to blame it on Smith solely.

Come on offense!!! Getting the passing game going is that last hurtle of this team. We have a special team this year. 4 more games to get the sh*t together.

Come on guys, you can do it !!!!
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 6, 2011 at 7:00 PM ]
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Come on now, don't you start oldman. We're just trying to have a civilized conversation...with a bunch of nutjobs!!! I don't know how many times I have to say that I love the way Smith is playing this year, and I'm excited that he's led this team to a 10-2 record. But because (when asked) I think guys like Rivers, Romo and even Bradford would do just as well in this system (or maybe better), all of a sudden I'm a hater?

Makes no sense.

I can't understand it either Ghost

At this point I see nothing left to do but...

Not a hater, but I just don't see what those guys have done? Romo? He has cost his team many games this season. Look at the Detroit game where they blew a huge lead due to Romo's stupid mistakes. Rivers fumbled a ball in the redzone and blew a game. He's also thrown quite a few picks this season at crucial times, Bradford he's having a worse season than Alex had his 2nd season by far, but he's somehow better?

These guys get more yards and amazing plays, but that also leaves them vulnerable to making big mistakes. Huge mistakes. Why would that change here?

~Romo with one of the top defenses in the league (ours) would be a better option than Smith (IMO) as he wouldn't have to play such a high risk game
~Rivers when playing with one of the better defenses in the league (Chargers 2006 - 2009) led his team to multiple playoffs (Smith is going to his first playoffs)
~Bradford had a better rookie season than Smith by far. In fact, Bradford's rookie season was better on most counts than any of Smith's seasons prior to this one. I'm not going to discount Bradford for one bad season (his second), just as I'm sure you didn't discount Smith for his multiple bad seasons prior to this one.
So your answer is...? Trade for Romo, Rivers, or Bradford? Or just complain incessantly about our QB is playing excellent football and has led our team to 10-2?

The hate just runs DEEP in some people, they can't let go.
Originally posted by fastforward:
The shock of Bradford failing would have long-lasting effect on the Rams because of the huge $50 million guarantee that's pro-rated over the years. That amount made JaMarcus Russell's guarantee of $32 million puny in comparison.

Bradford may have some difficult times ahead but, unless he is seriously hurt, he will eventually be a good QB.

And as many have mentioned, any QB would improve under Harbaugh. Few will have had as rough a time getting to a good coach as Smith however.

We should put Kaep in when we get in the redzone. It's clear Harbaugh has zero confidence in Smith to throw the ball in that area. As Steve Young said, "nobody is open in the redzone." And we need a guy with much bigger testicles that isn't afraid to sling it. As the QB coach said in the Raven's game, we need someone who is bold.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by okdkid:

We need TDs instead of field goals. I'm just as frustrated about that inability as much as any 'haters'. But I'm not so quick as to blame it on Smith solely.

Come on offense!!! Getting the passing game going is that last hurtle of this team. We have a special team this year. 4 more games to get the sh*t together.

Come on guys, you can do it !!!!

The take away is... when we get our red zone offense figured out, we can absolutely be as "prolific" as the Green Bay Packers. We create just as many opportunities.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
We should put Kaep in when we get in the redzone. It's clear Harbaugh has zero confidence in Smith to throw the ball in that area. As Steve Young said, "nobody is open in the redzone." And we need a guy with much bigger testicles that isn't afraid to sling it. As the QB coach said in the Raven's game, we need someone who is bold.

Harry Reems might be available.
Originally posted by Furlow:

Cry fo attention.... fogettaboutit.
Share 49ersWebzone