LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Alex Smith Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Exactly. Case in point is the 2nd pass of the game @ Cincy (when he was sacked). He had a guy open for a split second on a slant. Instead he's too much of a b***h to make the throw and he ends up holding the ball and getting sacked.

Your case in point is a HUGE fail. Watch the CB set his feet in preparation to jump in front of the slant route... Watch the ILB slide over to cover the inside area of the slant.

You don't know what you are even looking at, and this is the problem with people. They either see what they want to see or don't know how to evaluate football.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Exactly. Case in point is the 2nd pass of the game @ Cincy (when he was sacked). He had a guy open for a split second on a slant. Instead he's too much of a b***h to make the throw and he ends up holding the ball and getting sacked.

Your case in point is a HUGE fail. Watch the CB set his feet in preparation to jump in front of the slant route... Watch the ILB slide over to cover the inside area of the slant.

You don't know what you are even looking at, and this is the problem with people. They either see what they want to see or don't know how to evaluate football.

Funny thing is, it's actually you who doesn't know what to look for on that play. The CBs head is not even turned when Alex Smith should have released the ball. A window is there. I wouldn't expect you to see that through those blinders though.

And just to boot my point, Mark Schlereth pointed out this exact same thing on NFL Live. I think the analysis of a Pro Bowl offensive lineman means something .
[ Edited by Leathaface on Oct 2, 2011 at 9:16 AM ]

Funny thing is, it's actually you who doesn't know what to look for on that play. The CBs head is not even turned when Alex Smith should have released the ball. A window is there. I wouldn't expect you to see that through those blinders though.

Are you talking about the Crabtree slant? Yes the ball should have been out before the cut was made and it would have been a nice completion.

We can't expect those types of anticipation throws from A.Smith. Only checkdowns and sideline throws.
LOL, I remember when people in the offseason tried to convince us that Alex Smith > Matt Hasselbeck because of their QB rating from last year, lol.

Many wanted Hasselbeck as a free agent, but many of us (including me) did not want someone who is at the end of their career. If he makes it through the season without injury I will be shocked and admit I underestimated the guy. I have always liked his game--except for a tendency for game killing Ints.

That said, he chose a team with a better line than the 9ers...which shows that he is a smart guy.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
LOL, I remember when people in the offseason tried to convince us that Alex Smith > Matt Hasselbeck because of their QB rating from last year, lol.

Many wanted Hasselbeck as a free agent, but many of us (including me) did not want someone who is at the end of their career. If he makes it through the season without injury I will be shocked and admit I underestimated the guy. I have always liked his game--except for a tendency for game killing Ints.

That said, he chose a team with a better line than the 9ers...which shows that he is a smart guy.

yeah, from what i understand he had no interest in coming here. And I didn't want him, because over the last few years he was worse than Smith. He's playing very well in Tennessee so far, one of the many surprises this season.

I can agree with age/injury being a concern but talent was not a question...
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Are you talking about the Crabtree slant? Yes the ball should have been out before the cut was made and it would have been a nice completion.

We can't expect those types of anticipation throws from A.Smith. Only checkdowns and sideline throws.

With Edwards you can expect those throws but not with Crabtree as Smith has been burned by Crabtree in the past--alligator arms, ducking, falling down, stopping his route, running behind the DB, and tipping the ball into the air. I know...alexcuses!

When Crabtree starts catching the balls thrown to him, running the routes assigned and fighting for the ball I will be willing to evaluate Smith's "anticipation" towards his routes.

I can agree with age/injury being a concern but talent was not a question...

I was really disappointed that the 9ers did not get him when he was traded by Green Bay (2001)! Liked his arm then and like it now. Talent he has!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 2, 2011 at 9:35 AM ]

Hasselbeck chose the Titans because they gave him six million guarenteed and 21M over three years.
  • Jiks
Well looks as if the are out and in full force already. Wow... The game hasn't even started.

We play the Eagles in 45 minutes and were talking about some QB for the Titans. Great fanhood!!!

Anyways, had to get that out. I myself don't expect us to open the playbook up like some here do. I wouldn't be surprised to see us play just as conservative as we have been, maybe go down field once or twice.. I just hope we can get the run game going and maintain T.O.P. We can't let Mike Vick and McMcoy wear down our defense orwe are in trouble.

We shall find out soon enough. Go 9ers!!!

And just to boot my point, Mark Schlereth pointed out this exact same thing on NFL Live. I think the analysis of a Pro Bowl offensive lineman means something .

The CB was staring into the backfield the entire play. What are you talking about and who are you kidding?

Are you going to outright tell me that the CB was not facing the LOS that entire time?
Originally posted by redrathman:
Hasselbeck chose the Titans because they gave him six million guarenteed and 21M over three years.

And you know this because your sister is http://www.palmday.com/

The CB was staring into the backfield the entire play. What are you talking about and who are you kidding?

Are you going to outright tell me that the CB was not facing the LOS that entire time?

An accurate throw and the WR is between the CB and the ball. The DB would have to go through the WR to make a play on the ball. This is a classic slant WCO play that has to be made.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
But he didn't have 430 yards, 3 picks and lose the game like Cam Newton.....

You realize that by continuously comparing Alex Smith to Cam Newton, you only make Smith look worse right?

430 yards and a loss is always much better than a win....

No, but I bet the Panthers are more excited about his potential than the Niners are about Alex's.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
An accurate throw and the WR is between the CB and the ball. The DB would have to go through the WR to make a play on the ball. This is a classic slant WCO play that has to be made.

Well I respectfully think you are wrong on this particular play. The CBs feet were not back peddling... the CB's feet were dug in in preparation to jump the route if the ball was thrown. Look again... I'm speaking truth here. Truth is all I am interested in... I know you may think I refuse to accept any fault for Alex... but that also is false.
Share 49ersWebzone